Windows 10: PC can't connect to NAS

Discus and support PC can't connect to NAS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; (Sorry...I had a stroke about 6 months ago so I'm very slow. I'm trying to teach/train myself all the stuff I had for years) I have just reinstalled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by winchesterstoke, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PC can't connect to NAS

(Sorry...I had a stroke about 6 months ago so I'm very slow. I'm trying to teach/train myself all the stuff I had for years)
    I have just reinstalled Windows 10 and now my PC can't connect to my NAS - please help! Thanks.

Our other PCs connect fine - I even fixed our other PC but now I can't remember it - that's the problem with my stroke.
    The other PC I enter the address (I've not used 192.168....) with "\\ournas_name" and then get "Windows cannot access \\ournas_nas".
    Any help appreciated!

:)

winchesterstoke, Jan 6, 2017

2. Networking: wifi devices can see wired and vice versa

I have a system including one wired PC and two wireless PCs. I also have a NAS connected to the wired network. The wifi devices can see each other, the wired devices can see each other, but wired devices can't see the wifi devices and vice versa. Not
    sure where to start to solve the problem (the main issue is I want my wifi devices to see the NAS..

Len Goodwin, Jan 6, 2017
  3. PC cannot see other computers and nas drives on network

I have a laptop in the network who has developed a very strange fault and I can't get to the bottom of it.

The network is a 5 pc, 3 printers and 2 NAS drive set up all connected through ethernet cables.

All other PCs can see everything fine and are stable.

The problem PC is on the network, Has an IP address, can connect to the internet and no other issues beyond the network connections in file explorer doesn't show the other PCs or the NAS drives.

HOWEVER!!!

The laptop can ping the NAS drives(and I have added the shortcut to quick access as a workaround) but cannot ping other PCS on the network and they cannot ping it but does show up on the Broadband router connections list and a Belarc scan from another PC on
    the network.

The laptop in question is

Win 10 build 150(something)

Latest updates

Latest LAN driver etc etc

I have reset the network connection through Win 10 as well.

Any clues?

Dave

Dave Major, Jan 6, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

PC can't connect to NAS

can you ping the nas from the pc? how are you connecting ie explorer or cmd prompt are you entering the password and username set on the nas NOT the windows name?

Samuria, Jan 6, 2017
  5. Thanks. Sorry, but I'm slow...

Have now re-pinged and its confirmed (it took me 2 hours to learn this again!). So to confirm the PC can connect and logon to the NAS, but I can;t connect to the location on the NAS.
    I'm connecting to the NAS by accessing the files in the NAS (\\ournas\...).

Thanks!

winchesterstoke, Jan 7, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Did you set username password up on the nas and permission for the folder?

Samuria, Jan 8, 2017
  7. Sorry! Can you advise on how to do this simply please (after the stroke it's now very slow - and after the best part of 35 years IT!).

Thanks

winchesterstoke, Jan 9, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

PC can't connect to NAS

Not knowing the nas I cant be specific but on most as you set them up you can set folders and for the folder set a user name and password and read write permission etc it will then ask for password when you connect if your logged in to windows with an account that matchs the nas it may not ask as it will get passed by default

Samuria, Jan 9, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If the NAS is Linux based you can set the shares in SAMBA, start SAMBA and then the shared folders should be available on Windows.

1) ensure SAMBA is running (services are SMB and NMB or SMBD and NMBD) depending on Linux OS in the NAS

2) set up the smb.conf file -- simple example shown below. smb.conf usually exists in /etc/samba.

This example shows 2 HDD's mounted on the NAS that Windows can access -- here there's minimal security but it's an example. Setting to browseable also means that you can browse the directories easily.

Create the following directories in /mnt as Read/write (/mnt/DV1 for example). create as many as you have shares or HDD's. Simply create empty directories in /mnt and allow read/write access. You only need to do that once.

Now simply on the NAS make sure the disks are mounted - as root or sudo type in mount /dev/sdx -t auto -o rw /mnt/DVx
    where x = 1,2, etc depending on how many HDD's / shares you want.

The auto parameter in the mount command means the kernel will take and determine the file type automatically -- saves messing around with fstab entries or wondering what the file type is.

Here's the smb.conf file which is the simplest possible one you can make --- it's got very little security but it's a good start as samba has a zillion and one options. Once that's working you can add as much security as you like later.

#======================= Global Settings =====================================

[global]
    max protocol = SMB3
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

; printcap name = /etc/printcap
    # obtain a list of printers automatically on UNIX System V systems:
    ; printcap name = lpstat
    ; printing = cups

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[HDD1]
    comment HDD1
    path = /mnt/DV1
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

[HDD2]
    comment HDD2
    path = /mnt/DV2
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

Windows will see the shares as HDDx (the names in the square brackets).

For example I have 2 NAS boxes both with 2 shared HDD's (actually 2 RAID arrays on each box - however Windows it sees them as discrete HDD's). I have the above same smb.conf file in both NAS boxes.

Here's what Windows sees.

PC can't connect to NAS [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 10, 2017
  10. UKMedia Win User
    Hi WinchesterStoke

On the problem PC, if you search for 'Advanced Sharing Settings', maximise the window and then press Alt+PrtScn to take an image of the screen to the clipboard. Can you then post a reply containing this image?

Regards

UKMedia, Jan 10, 2017
  11. Thanks all!
    Sorry for the slow response (had to pop back to hospital but back now but slow)

I will go through the very kind responses!

winchesterstoke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PC can't connect to NAS

1. PC can't connect to NAS - Similar Threads - can't connect NAS

2. Unable to Connect Win10 PC to a NAS Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Connect Win10 PC to a NAS Drive: Three days ago, I upgraded the firmware on a Western Digital PR4100 NAS drive. As part of the firmware update, I had to change the passwords for two of the users. Since then, I cannot access shares on the NAS drive from my main DELL computer. Two days ago, after much fiddling...
  3. Laptop can't see NAS and other PC, but the other PC can see the NAS (but not the laptop)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop can't see NAS and other PC, but the other PC can see the NAS (but not the laptop): So my PC can now finally see the NAS on the network, however it can't see the laptop even though they are on the same network. My laptop can't see the PC nor the NAS even though all the settings like NetBIOS and SMB and file sharing are turned on. I can't ping the laptop from...
  4. NAS connection intermittent

NAS connection intermittent: Hello Everybody! I have a PC with Windows 10 installed on a network along with another 20 PCs. This one particular PC is losing the connection to our NAS every once in a while for no apparent reason and then it restores itself in a day or two have to reconnect the drives...
  5. Tablet PC's won't connect to NAS

Tablet PC's won't connect to NAS: I have an old NAS that uses SMB 1.0. Older laptops can map the NAS, no problem. My two desktop PCs also map to the NAS, no problem. (I enabled "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" on all PCs). But I have two Microsoft touch tablets that just won't connect to the NAS. (All PCs...
  6. Can't see the NAS

Can't see the NAS: Hi, I just bought a Surface Book2 (Win10 and update), I can't find my NAS or any other device through my network. I have checked through the advance network sharing setting and also adjusted the FDPHost & FDResPub into automatically. The NAS & other devices can show...
  7. cannot connect to NAS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot connect to NAS: After Windows upgrade to version 1810 Pro, I cannot connect to my Network Attached Storage via Explorer network. The windows security pop-up asks me to enter credentials. But when I enter my password and username for my NAS, the system won’t accept it. I know that my...
  8. connection to my NAS

connection to my NAS: hello I am running win 111110 ver 1810 pro at home. since this automatic upgrade (NOT) I cannot connect to my 2 NAS via explorer network. I can map the drives but when i try to map the drive a windows security pops up asking for Credentials (user name and password) If i...
  9. nas connect problem

nas connect problem: using a medio nas with windows 7 and no problem now upgraded to windows 10 and can not connect to nas anymore using the explorer or command window to map the drive C:\Users\guy>net use y: \\192.168.1.2\MyLibrary System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not...
  10. Can't connect to Synology NAS

Can't connect to Synology NAS: I hope you can help, thanks... I don't have the password for our new Sysnology NAS (I suffered from a stroke just as I was re-installing the NAS last June). Is there anyway to get access to the data that was copied into the NAS please? Thanks! 75145

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc cant connect to nas on lan

2. cant connect to nas reinstalled