Windows 10: PC disconnects from wi-fi

Discus and support PC disconnects from wi-fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My wife's PC has the annoying habit of occasionally not making wi-fi connection to the internet at switch on and sometimes disconnecting from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gordon99, Aug 16, 2017.

1. gordon99 Win User

PC disconnects from wi-fi

My wife's PC has the annoying habit of occasionally not making wi-fi connection to the internet at switch on and sometimes disconnecting from the internet for no apparent reason when everything is up and running. Following online advice I have tried downloading from the internet and installing a new network adapter driver. I have also switched off the network adapter power saving mode. The PC has a newish wi.fi USB dongle and the hub is in the same room as the PC.
    Is there anything else I can try or is it some inherent fault in the PC causing the problem? My own cheapy laptop, which is 6 years old, gives no trouble in this regard. My wife keeps threatening to dump, what seems to me, a perfectly good PC because of this problem. I should add that getting the PC to connect / reconnect is not a problem.

:)

gordon99, Aug 16, 2017

2. Wifi not turning on when I disconnect from Ethernet in Windows 10 - HELP!!

Hi,

From the above description, I see that you want Wi-Fi to be turned on automatically when I disconnect from Ethernet.

If the Wi-Fi is always turned on when you disconnect from Ethernet it will automatically connect to Wi-Fi.

If the Wi-Fi is turned off when you disconnect from Ethernet, Wi-Fi will not connect or it will not turn on the Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi will not turn on automatically, but it will connect automatically if its turned on.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Aug 16, 2017
  3. sinkez Win User
    Unable to reconnect to Wi Fi after disconnecting it

hi, Wi-Fi will ONLY CONNECT ONCE to a modem

the issue is: if I disconnect the Wi-Fi, it will disconnect. BUT IT WILL NOT RE-CONNECT without a full restart. it just lags & freezes = even the same Wi-Fi that was using.

I know its not the modem as my old PC would disconnect & re-connect many times

its very simple Wi-Fi , no VPN , just personal home use

ta, mark

Original Title: re-connecting to wi-fi

sinkez, Aug 16, 2017
  4. ICIT2LOL Win User

Gordon have you got a few specs please on your wife's machine mate - personally I do not like dongles I think a board wifi card is a much better option and they are not usually that expensive.
    But the budget and choice is yours of course.

I am assuming any settings on the machine are up to date and that she is using 10??

ICIT2LOL, Aug 17, 2017
  5. gordon99 Win User
    Dear ICIT2LOL, I am uncertain how much inf. would help but perhaps I should firstly explain that the PC was not 'off the shelf' but made to a selected standard. It operates on Windows 10 64bit with all the updates. The Motherboard is an ASUS P8H61-MX series and its spec. summary shows Realtec 8111F-VB cg Gigabit LAN controller. Now I assume, but I may be talking through my hat, that that means it does not have an inbuilt wireless network controller. It was the case that the PC was connected to a router by Ethernet cable but some months ago our ISP - Plusnet - supplied us with a new HUB which I placed near the master telephone socket. As the Hub is about 12 feet away from the PC I bought a Dynamode Dual-Band 600Mbps 802.11AC Wireless USB adapter which includes a High Gain antenna. All this to have a wireless connection and avoid untidy lengths of cable. This may be irrelevant however as I seem to remember my wife complaining that the PC internet connection was dropping out even before the wireless connection was set up.
    I hope the above information helps. I could probably provide more PC spec. if it would be of assistance.

gordon99, Aug 17, 2017
  6. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Gordon mate that is quite an older board and the very latest drivers for it can only be had up and including 8 there are no drivers for 10, plus no it doesn't have an onboard wifi device.

Personally I am not sure of what to do now but I still would try a wifi card direct to the board and use the software for it. When I fist started playing with computers I often found that eve the LAN connections would not work until I installed a LAN card to the machine.

Now my brother lives in the UK and he uses Amazon a lot for gear and looking at their site there the cost of one of these cards is next to not much at all and I personally like the TP-Link stuff have a look at these mate as playing around with Realtek I have always found very frustrating and for the cost of one of these cards no worth the grief. However the budget and choice is yours of course.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-Cards/b...node=430541031 the middle one on t top line would be my choice being mid priced and ahs three high gain aerials and are so very easy to fit. Now I don't know how you feel about doing it yourself but her is a YouTube to show you. and it s for Windows 10 too and oh I meant to add get a card that is dual band that is 2.4GHz and 5GHz the 5GHz is better because it is less prone to interference form other things around the house but is less penetrating than 2.4GHz

ICIT2LOL, Aug 18, 2017
  7. gordon99 Win User
    Sorry I have not replied sooner ICIT2LOL but I was away for a long busy weekend. I had a read of the Amazon website you suggested and the mid price TP-Link costs about £27 which is not bank breaking. I will have a look on You Tube, but my wife may prefer to take her PC along to a qualified repairer so I will give her the choice. Thank you very much for your guidance with this problem. At least I now know what the options are now. Regards Gordon.

gordon99, Aug 21, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

One should look at wireless stations close and see if there are any on the same channel as that would cause it are using 2 or 5 gig? 5 gig is better but limited range compared to 2 gig. The other thing is there a source of interference between router and pc

Samuria, Aug 21, 2017
  9. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Gordon you do what you think it best just remember mate the part is not going tot be the cost it is the labour which can be quite outlandish at times.

Now Samuria pointed out something I should have done earlier and that includes all mobile devices, microwave ovens, cordless phones, some remote controls indeed anything that uses the 2.4GHz frequency that will "clutter" the frequency range within your house including anyone who lives maybe next door or across the road. That is why 5GHz is better but less penetrating although that can affect the reception in your own home. For an example the main laptop I use in my dining area really only works well on 2.4GHz because the room is a solid brick construction whereas the top end of the house is all timber so the 5GHz signal has a job to get to this machine - most of the time.

ICIT2LOL, Aug 21, 2017
  10. gordon99 Win User
    There is a base and cordless phone close to the PC but I don't have a clue what frequency it operates at. Maybe that's something else I should look in to.

gordon99, Aug 22, 2017
  11. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Aug 22, 2017
  12. gordon99 Win User
    Hello Samuria, My Hub ( Modem+Router) is about 12 feet from the Cordless Phone base and my understanding is that the frequency at which cordless phones operate is somewhat less than wifi frequency. That being the case, my limited knowledge of these things leaves me to believe there should be little or no interaction between the phone and the Router.

gordon99, Aug 23, 2017
  13. ICIT2LOL Win User

Gordon as far as I am aware all cordless phones run at either 2.4GHz or 5Ghz - if you look at the base of the device(usually the base station phone) it should give you the specs. The 2.4GHz is a very commonly used frequency and while fairly good usually up to and maybe over 100 metres is also better at penetrating through walls for example. Just so you realise that your wifi is available to even your neighbours and if they should ever get hold of any passwords to your system then they can tap into it and even use your broadband if that is also wifi. You may know this from for example staying at hotels etc where you get a code for using the (usually) free wifi they have at the establishment.

Plus remember also that I mentioned that cordless phones are not the only devices using that frequency ie remotes, microwave ovens etc only remotes that use an infrared beam/frequency are different and that would not affect your computer wifi.

I stand to be corrected of course on anything I have said the only wifi devices that I am aware of that operate on different frequencies are walkie talkie devices and ham radio etc.

Personally I prefer Ethernet where possible because it is far easier to use and generally much faster than wifi.

ICIT2LOL, Aug 24, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    I have a rather ancient AT&T cordless, runs at 900mhz. Just adding that in case. One of the original freq. bands for cordless.

f14tomcat, Aug 24, 2017
  15. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Well tomcat you prompted me to go looking and I found this Cordless telephone - Wikipedia just amazing I thought those old frequencies were long gone unless I suppose like you one has one of the older models.

Plus I stand corrected in that instance and I see I have been quoting 5.0GHZ and it should have been 5.8*Redface

ICIT2LOL, Aug 24, 2017
Thema:

1. PC disconnects from wi-fi - Similar Threads - disconnects

2. The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...: I have set the screen to turn off after 30 minutes, without setting it to sleep. But every time the screen turns off, my computer repeatedly makes sound effects indicating disconnection and successful connection. My laptop is connected to the screen using a Type-C to DP...
  3. The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The issue of the external monitor repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting after the...: I have set the screen to turn off after 30 minutes, without setting it to sleep. But every time the screen turns off, my computer repeatedly makes sound effects indicating disconnection and successful connection. My laptop is connected to the screen using a Type-C to DP...
  4. Wi-Fi connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on my work laptop windows 10

Wi-Fi connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on my work laptop windows 10: The Wi-Fi connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on my work laptop windows 10 when connecting to a specific network my home network. I face the problem with a specific network in my home, I don't face this problem when using the office network, mobile Wi-Fi network,...
  5. Wi-Fi connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on my work laptop windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on my work laptop windows 10: The Wi-Fi connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on my work laptop windows 10 when connecting to a specific network my home network. I face the problem with a specific network in my home, I don't face this problem when using the office network, mobile Wi-Fi network,...
  6. Wi-Fi connection keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on my work laptop windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Ethernet disconnects whenever I try to play an online multiplayer game on my PC Windows 11,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet disconnects whenever I try to play an online multiplayer game on my PC Windows 11,...: As the title states, whenever I try playing an online multiplayer game, after a few minutes my ethernet stop working and I have to reset my computer in order for it to work. It also cuts out all audio in the computer. The router still works for all other devices even when the...
  8. Ethernet disconnects whenever I try to play an online multiplayer game on my PC Windows 11,...

Ethernet disconnects whenever I try to play an online multiplayer game on my PC Windows 11,...: As the title states, whenever I try playing an online multiplayer game, after a few minutes my ethernet stop working and I have to reset my computer in order for it to work. It also cuts out all audio in the computer. The router still works for all other devices even when the...
  9. Win 11 connecting to a windows 10 VD disconnects when a sorage device is removed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 connecting to a windows 10 VD disconnects when a sorage device is removed: When things like a dictation devicem, which is recognised as a storage device, or a usb flash drive are disconnected from a few computers at our company, all running windows 11, it boots us off the virtual desktop. Was wondering if there's any fixes people know of that could...
  10. Win 11 connecting to a windows 10 VD disconnects when a sorage device is removed

Win 11 connecting to a windows 10 VD disconnects when a sorage device is removed: When things like a dictation devicem, which is recognised as a storage device, or a usb flash drive are disconnected from a few computers at our company, all running windows 11, it boots us off the virtual desktop. Was wondering if there's any fixes people know of that could...