Windows 10: PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive

Discus and support PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Don't know if this goes here or not but I have a PC that I installed a new mobo and memory on and added a HDD. Ever since the new mobo has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rzn6jw, Dec 22, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive

Don't know if this goes here or not but I have a PC that I installed a new mobo and memory on and added a HDD. Ever since the new mobo has been installed, the PC will not boot from the C:/ drive no matter how it's configured in the BIOS of the board. If I boot the PC and select F12 for boot selection, the only way it'll boot is if I select my Macrium backup drive.

This has been bugging me ever since the installation. Tonight I was looking at the various HDD properties in device manager and, lo and behold, my backup drive is marked with 'system' but my C:/ drive is not, even tho boot is in the configuration.

Does anyone know how the heck a backup drive ended up with 'system' properties even though I formatted it prior to installation on this PC as a backup drive and how can I get my C:/ drive marked as system?

PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive [​IMG]

And, Merry Christmas everyone, too.

:)

rzn6jw, Dec 22, 2017

2. Windows 10: Computer won't boot up after resetting and screen is stuck at loading screen.

I can't get it to boot from the flash drive. When I turn it on doesn't ask me to boot from a device--it goes immediately to the Automatic Repair page. When I tell it to use a device there and choose the drive it says "Reboot and select proper boot device
    or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." But I already tried to run the Startup Repair utility when it boots from my computer and it tells me "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC."

I'm not getting any error messages.

The ownership of my C drive had been listed as "TrustedInstaller" (I don't even know what that is) and I changed it to "Administrators."

quinncollard, Dec 22, 2017
  3. GW13 Win User
    Dual boot Windows 10

My PC has 2 hard drives fitted Windows 7 (Ultimate x64) is setup to dual boot to either C: drive (Programs) or D: drive (Internet). Each drive is as good as 'hidden' from the other with the registry entry 'NoDrives' . Reason: purely to keep personal
    and financial information well clear of the internet. The install to D: is run from the DVD setup.exe when running the install to C: drive. I have successfully used this dual boot setup process as far back as Windows 95. The SET command confirms both drives
    are independent.

Using spare hard drives I have attempted to duplicate that boot option using Windows 10 Pro x64 clean installs. I have tried every possible procedure I can image but the install to D: simply results in D: drive being rename C: and vice versa. I have used
    EasyBCD for many years but doesn't appear to offer a solution.

Any advice much appreciated.

4. bro67 Win User

It does not matter where the order is. If the MBR knows where C: is, it will boot from it. Just do a repair and be done with it.

bro67, Dec 22, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    Switch Data cable of the Backup Drive F: with the C: drive, so the C: drive is using SATA port 0 (probably marked as port 1 on the motherboard)
    If that doesn't work, then unplug Backup drive F: and restart the computer booting from the Windows 10 installer media. Choose your language, and then choose Repair Your Computer. Once the computer boots normally to the C: drive, shut it down and plug in the Backup Drive again.

spunk, Dec 22, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    Have you checked BIOS to make sure the boot order is correct?

swarfega, Dec 22, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    You have all the disks marked "Active" and your C drive is connected to the last Sata port. Only the disk (C: drive) that you boot from must be marked "Active".
    From the screen shot, The boot manager is in disk 0 (F: drive).
    • Download EasyBCD 2.2 - Neowin . Install,run then follow the screen shot to move the Boot Manager to C Drive.

PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive [​IMG]
    • Now mark disk0 and disk1 inactive. From Admin Command, type:
      diskpart
      select disk 0
      select par 1
      inactive
      select disk 1
      select par 1
      inactive
      exit
    Reboot. Your OS should boot from C.

topgundcp, Dec 22, 2017
  8. Rocky Win User

This is the quick and easy way to fix this.

Rocky, Dec 22, 2017
  9. rzn6jw Win User
    You guys are amazing! Thanks a lot for all your help!!!!!!

rzn6jw, Dec 22, 2017
  10. spunk Win User
    If our suggestions helped you solve your problem, please tell us which one you did to solve it, so others may follow if they have the same problem and give that person a Thumbs up under their computer specs.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC doesn't boot from C:/ drive - Similar Threads - doesn't boot drive

2. Pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc doesn't boot: I bought a new gaming PC,Swapped the hard drive and SSD for new one'sThen my PC didn't boot at allThanks in advanceIf needed more info I can give https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-boot/feaf5be5-5afd-4d97-ba02-e74801e7209d
  3. Pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc doesn't boot: I bought a new gaming PC,Swapped the hard drive and SSD for new one'sThen my PC didn't boot at allThanks in advanceIf needed more info I can give https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-boot/feaf5be5-5afd-4d97-ba02-e74801e7209d
  4. Pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to boot from C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from C drive: This is a 5 yr old custom built machine by Digital Storm. Specs as follows: AMD-FX-6300, 6 cores; MSI MB-970A-G43 Plus; 32 GB DDR3 /RAM; Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti; Windows 10 Home, v 2004. This is my brother's machine which I do most of the upkeep on. The other day I put 2...
  6. PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.: I did something very stupid and had to check every component on my PC to find out what was defective. Turns out the MB battery was dead as a doornail! Replaced it. I had been trying "fix startup problems", "restore", "recover", etc. from a rescue disk. Nothing would work. In...
  7. How to seperate boot partition from c drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to seperate boot partition from c drive: Earlier my pc had both boot and primary partition seperated from each other but now when i formatted it... It was a single partition. How can i seperate boot and primary partition submitted by /u/DarkIncorp [link] [comments]...
  8. PC doesn't boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC doesn't boot.: My son recently turned his pc on after it had been off for a while, it was working fine when he shut it down but now it doesn't boot. It posts and then it's just the balls going round in a circle endlessly for hours. It won't Start in safe mode, system restore does not work...
  9. My PC stopped booting to C: drive and now boots to Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My PC stopped booting to C: drive and now boots to Boot Manager: This morning i woke up and turned on my computer to start on my schoolwork and realized that my PC didnt boot properly. Instead of booting from my normal C: drive, my PC booted to Windows Boot Manager. I can access all the data from my C: drive but when the PC starts up now...
  10. Laptop doesn't boot because OS is on D: drive instead of C: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop doesn't boot because OS is on D: drive instead of C: drive: My laptop doesn't boot because OS is on E: drive instead of C: drive [img] When I try to boot it up (it somehow boots up as windows 8.1 instead of my OS windows 10), it gives a BSoD and shows the error code 0xc000021a. I created a bootable USB drive with windows 10...