Windows 10: PC doesn't boot into Windows on 1st attempt

Discus and support PC doesn't boot into Windows on 1st attempt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have the problem of only booting into Windows at the 2nd attempt. My system is home built, the boot drive being a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Polinsteve, Oct 29, 2015.

1. PC doesn't boot into Windows on 1st attempt

Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and have the problem of only booting into Windows at the 2nd attempt.

My system is home built, the boot drive being a Samsung 850 EVO series m.2 SSD. Win 10 was installed via USB, the ssd being the only installed drive. Installation was very quick and easy and once booted the PC performs very nicely. However, very time it starts from shutdown, on the 1st attempt it reaches the Windows logo and shuts down.. I can guarantee that the 2nd attempt results in a perfect startup. I don't know if this: "BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys" is relevant.

All drivers seem to be up to date and working. Safe mode it starts 1st time. Fast boot enabled/disabled makes no difference. I would appreciate any ideas as although it isn't a major problem, it's very annoying.

Thanks

:)

Polinsteve, Oct 29, 2015
  2. AlokeP Win User

Can I use Windows 10 ISO to upgrade my Win 7 system?

If you don't mind, when you say

"I manually downloaded the win10 iso and created a bootable disk. I attempted to upgrade and it failed. "

about the 1st attempt (after skipping the key input screen ?), what exactly happened? How did the 1st attempt off the ISO fail?

Had you booted off the ISO DVD for the 1st attempt?

AlokeP, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Computer freezes in first Boot.

Old Tilte: start up takes 2 goes.

pc takes to goes to boot 1st boot stops then on 2nd go it boots fine, restarts 1st go

windows 10

TrentMartin, Oct 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

PC doesn't boot into Windows on 1st attempt

Hi, you might get a better idea if you use Event Viewer to have a look at the corresponding log entry.

A quick way to do that (although criticised by some experts) is Nirsoft's BluescreenView (freeware, easily found), if what you have reported is a BSOD.

It looks like you might have a driver problem, quite common with Win 10, and might, for example, once you know which one, need to use an older version and protect it from update (tutorial in Tutorials section of the forum). But that's jumping ahead at this point.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2015
  6. Hi,
    I don't get a blue screen, it just turns off. One query I have may be that because the ssd is very fast, could it just flash through the BSOD and dump without being obvious?

I am tending towards the driver solution as I'm assuming that the second boot rolls back the driver to an earlier version. I will investigate the event viewer to see what comes up and I will certainly read the tutorial.

Polinsteve, Oct 29, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just noted you said Safe Mode starts 1st time- and it's a clean install so suggests driver/hardware compatibility issue.
    Try 'Whocrashed' from Resplendence (freeware) for a quick attempt to see what..

Else you could try simply disabling specific drivers and rebooting. People have had problems with everything from PCI to sound cards.

Windows 10 has a very definite view of what version of driver you should have, and will replace and different (older or newer) driver with what it thinks is good for you (so if you want a different version, you have to protect it).

dalchina, Oct 29, 2015
  8. axe0 New Member

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED for some known as a 0xB6 is in fact a BSOD.
    Please check {windows partition}\windows\minidump and check if there are any dump files saved.

With the SSD, if you have automatically restart enabled in the startup and recovery settings in the advanced settings of the system part in control panel, then you can get BSOD's unnoticed.

axe0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC doesn't boot into Windows on 1st attempt - Similar Threads - doesn't boot 1st

2. Pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc doesn't boot: I bought a new gaming PC,Swapped the hard drive and SSD for new one'sThen my PC didn't boot at allThanks in advanceIf needed more info I can give https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-boot/feaf5be5-5afd-4d97-ba02-e74801e7209d
  3. Pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc doesn't boot: I bought a new gaming PC,Swapped the hard drive and SSD for new one'sThen my PC didn't boot at allThanks in advanceIf needed more info I can give https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-boot/feaf5be5-5afd-4d97-ba02-e74801e7209d
  4. Pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. After attempting to reset windows pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After attempting to reset windows pc doesn't boot: Today I tried to wipe my hardrive through windows 10 and it did so, at first I did keep my files which got stuck at 88% for 3 hours, so I turned my pc off and went into recovery, then I decided to wipe my while disc I have a media creation usb which doesn't do anything as now...
  6. selecting 1st boot in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    selecting 1st boot in bios: Hi guys, I have just successfully cloned my laptop hhd to ssd with Macrium , which advises that to boot from the ssd requires making the nessessary selection in the bios. I have opened the bios which is recognising the ssd and in the boot column I have the new drive as no 1,...
  7. PC doesn't boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC doesn't boot.: My son recently turned his pc on after it had been off for a while, it was working fine when he shut it down but now it doesn't boot. It posts and then it's just the balls going round in a circle endlessly for hours. It won't Start in safe mode, system restore does not work...
  8. PC Login Password not recognized on 1st attempt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PC Login Password not recognized on 1st attempt: When login in to my laptop with Windows 10 Home ver 1709 the 1st attempt often fails for an unrecognized password. But when reentering the same password it accepts it. Is this a Windows bug or someone trying to steal my password?...
  9. Pc doesn't boot properly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc doesn't boot properly.: Hello, sometimes when i boot my pc it doesn't show any signs of life except the fans and i have to press the reset button 2 times for it to give me an error saying "The system has failed to boot several times. Press F2 or Del to enter SETUP to reconfigure your system." after...
  10. WiFi not working of 1st boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working of 1st boot: I have quite a few questions, but I will start with this one: When I boot up I cannot get connected to my WiFi. The only way to get it to work is to shutdown and boot up again, then all is well. I never had this problem until Win 10 upgrade. Any ideas? 26804

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 boots second attempt

2. pc doesnt boot on first attempt