Windows 10: pc doesn't recognise if second monitor is off/in use by other device

Discus and support pc doesn't recognise if second monitor is off/in use by other device in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello, I have a second monitor for my laptop, but when I have this monitor of or I am using it for my ps4, then there are still programs getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Ruud, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Ruud Win User

pc doesn't recognise if second monitor is off/in use by other device

Hello,
    I have a second monitor for my laptop, but when I have this monitor of or I am using it for my ps4, then there are still programs getting opened in that space, because my HDMI cable is in my laptop. Is there any solution so my laptop recognises when my monitor is getting used or when it is off? Else I have to pull my HDMI cable out everytime.

:)

2. Windows 10: Issues with detecting and adding second monitor.

Yea all drivers are up to date but my pc does not recognise the second monitor at all.

BrianBragg569, Oct 30, 2016
  3. kittiping Win User
    How to add multiple monitors to your Windows 10 PC

That's a lovely helpful article that completely fails to mention how you get windows to recognise the second monitor in the first place, mine just says 'second monitor not detected' I've been through the forum and the bios and the device manager setting
    and the drivers and I cannot get it to stop being another screen showing the same thing. Why doesn't it detect it? I'm on a splitter, Dell desktop with only standard video, no extra graphics card trying to hook up a Dell and a Samsung monitor

kittiping, Oct 30, 2016
  4. pc doesn't recognise if second monitor is off/in use by other device

Press the Windows Logo key *Start + P on your keyboard and select PC Only when your using it for something else. And when you want to use it on your PC do the same but select Extend. I put shortcuts on my taskbar to do it with one mouse click. I switch to PC Only when gaming, and then back to Extend when I done gaming.

alphanumeric, Nov 1, 2016
  5. Ruud Win User
    I'll just do that, Thanks!

Ruud, Nov 5, 2016
  6. Sometimes, even if the monitor is off, just being physically connected is enough for Windows to think its there for use. Especially if its on, and all you've done is switch the input to another source.

alphanumeric, Nov 5, 2016
  7. Ruud Win User
    Yeh, that's what's happening. I don't think that microsoft will be able to change something about it.

Ruud, Nov 6, 2016
  8. pc doesn't recognise if second monitor is off/in use by other device

Yeah, it is what it is. It's the way the monitor is designed and the way its detected by Windows. And a side effect of todays instant on society.

alphanumeric, Nov 7, 2016
  9. Ruud Win User
    Jup

Ruud, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

pc doesn't recognise if second monitor is off/in use by other device

1. pc doesn't recognise if second monitor is off/in use by other device - Similar Threads - doesn't recognise second

2. Windows not recognising 2nd monitor is unavailable or using other inputs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not recognising 2nd monitor is unavailable or using other inputs: So I recently moved my tv to the top of where my laptop is for convenience and started using the tv as a 2nd monitor the laptop has its age2011 but still works fine it only has VGA and DisplayPort I started with VGA since I had no DisplayPort cable laying aroundand my tv...
  3. Windows not recognising 2nd monitor is unavailable or using other inputs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not recognising 2nd monitor is unavailable or using other inputs: So I recently moved my tv to the top of where my laptop is for convenience and started using the tv as a 2nd monitor the laptop has its age2011 but still works fine it only has VGA and DisplayPort I started with VGA since I had no DisplayPort cable laying aroundand my tv...
  4. Windows not recognising 2nd monitor is unavailable or using other inputs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. PC recognising "ghost" monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC recognising "ghost" monitor: I´m asking this question for my partner. She has a desktop PC which uses a VGA > HDMI cable to connect to her monitor. I borrowed her monitor to use on my laptop and i used a HDMI cable on both ends. Now when trying to use her computer after few months it recognizes an...
  6. PC recognising "ghost" monitor

PC recognising "ghost" monitor: I´m asking this question for my partner. She has a desktop PC which uses a VGA > HDMI cable to connect to her monitor. I borrowed her monitor to use on my laptop and i used a HDMI cable on both ends. Now when trying to use her computer after few months it recognizes an...
  7. Second monitor flickering on and off on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    Second monitor flickering on and off on Windows PC: [IMG]If you have a two-monitor setup and the second monitor on your Windows 11/10 system is flickering on and off, then this post offers some helpful suggestions to successfully resolve the issue. Why is the second monitor flickering on and off on my computer? In reality, the...
  8. Laptop doesn't recognise monitor audio

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop doesn't recognise monitor audio: Under output devices I used to be able to select my monitor and directly plug in my headphones into my monitor. After factory resetting my computer, that option does not appear anymore. Does anyone know a fix. submitted by /u/lordSKULLcRuShr [link] [comments]...
  9. windows 10 doesn't recognise other devices

windows 10 doesn't recognise other devices: Under windows 7 if I plug my phone into a USB it comes up as another device in my computer. This does not happen in windows 10. 113992
  10. windows 10 doesn't recognise other devices

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 doesn't recognise other devices: Under windows 7 if I plug my phone into a USB it comes up as another device in my computer. This does not happen in windows 10. 113992