Windows 10: PC Freezes at Startup (Update Loop); CHKDSK No Problems; Can't SFC

Discus and support PC Freezes at Startup (Update Loop); CHKDSK No Problems; Can't SFC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Two nights ago I clicked on Shut Down and Install Updates before I left my house. I came home a few hours later and noticed the computer had frozen on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 21brad17, Oct 30, 2016.

1. 21brad17 Win User

PC Freezes at Startup (Update Loop); CHKDSK No Problems; Can't SFC

Two nights ago I clicked on Shut Down and Install Updates before I left my house. I came home a few hours later and noticed the computer had frozen on the Shut Down screen. I then held down the power button in order to shut it down. When I turned it on after, it booted up and made it past the starting Windows logo with the dotted spinning circle below it. After that, it freezes on a black screen. On one random time I go to see "Getting Windows ready. Don't turn off your computer" but that too froze. I tried to get into the recovery options, but when I get to the Recovery screen it freezes there and I can't click on anything, let alone see my cursor. I have a recovery USB drive where all I can really do is commands through Command Prompt. CHKDSK came back all good. The first time it changed a bunch of index entries and said it repaired everything. I cannot get SFC /ScanNow to work. It always gets to 100% verification and then says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." I tried running SFC /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=E:\ (E is currently my main drive while in the recovery options on my USB for some reason) but it came back saying a reboot was required. I tried resetting the DISM image file and the first time it said it was successful and that I needed to reboot to activate the changes. That did not work. I then tried the same thing and it gave me some error codes like 0x0800f082f and when I tried a third time, this: 0x8000ffff. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,

Brad

:)

21brad17, Oct 30, 2016
  2. PK84 Win User

Windows 10 Black Screen of Death Before Login

I'm getting a black screen before the windows 10 login screen appears.

Problem began after PC crashed while watching youtube (a lot of artifacts appeared, then crashed)

- Safe mode works

- Only have one display device

- Windows was not in the process of installing anything

- Uninstalling display drivers does not help

- Uninstalling previous Windows updates does not help

- Creating a new admin account does not help

- Removing external hardware devices does not help (can't remove GPU or I can't access safe mode)

- Chkdsk repair hangs at 13%, PC resets, then goes into a loop until I cancel chkdsk

- Reinstalling/resetting Windows 10 via startup recovery fails, Windows reverts reinstallation

- Third party disk health tools report all drives are in perfect working condition

- Malware scanners report nothing

What is the cause of the problem?

3. Weird problems surrounding explorer.exe

Okay so I've had enough with this issue, as no update ever fixed it for me.

Symptoms:

Many things crash explorer.exe, or rather makes it freeze and unresponsive. Examples:

-Resize taskbar->crash and rollback to initial size before the resize

-Save a file in desktop: freeze on explorer.exe for a good 30 seconds

-Alt-tab from a fullscreen application, same issue.

I've tried multiple things:

-remove programs from startup

-selective boot only running windows services

-sfc /scannow

-trying to repair startup (no problems)

-chkdsk

And my last try was to reinstall windows keeping files and programs. No dice.

I'm completely lost and I don't want to do a clean install.

blitzcloud, Oct 30, 2016
Thema:

PC Freezes at Startup (Update Loop); CHKDSK No Problems; Can't SFC

1. PC Freezes at Startup (Update Loop); CHKDSK No Problems; Can't SFC - Similar Threads - Freezes Startup Update

2. My computer have chkdsk loop on every startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer have chkdsk loop on every startup: What happened:When I booted the computer, chkdsk started and said "To skip disk checking press any key within 8 seconds" and continued to count down. After I press a key, it just restarts to 8 seconds and continues to count down. I need to spam that key for a while in order...
  3. My computer have chkdsk loop on every startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer have chkdsk loop on every startup: What happened:When I booted the computer, chkdsk started and said "To skip disk checking press any key within 8 seconds" and continued to count down. After I press a key, it just restarts to 8 seconds and continues to count down. I need to spam that key for a while in order...
  4. sfc/chkdsk finds windows corrupted files in advanced startup, but no problems in normal boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc/chkdsk finds windows corrupted files in advanced startup, but no problems in normal boot: Hi so i bought a new motherboard, new additional memory, and new nvme ssd. Built pc with old gpu, 2 hdd and 1 ssd, cpu, 2 sticks of ram, and psu. I fully reset my old pc with windows automatically reinstalling on the old ssd, then built the new one. I installed windows on the...
  5. sfc/chkdsk finds windows corrupted files in advanced startup, but no problems in normal boot

sfc/chkdsk finds windows corrupted files in advanced startup, but no problems in normal boot: Hi so i bought a new motherboard, new additional memory, and new nvme ssd. Built pc with old gpu, 2 hdd and 1 ssd, cpu, 2 sticks of ram, and psu. I fully reset my old pc with windows automatically reinstalling on the old ssd, then built the new one. I installed windows on the...
  6. chkdsk at startup

chkdsk at startup: Hello, I found article from 2018 where they are describing how chkdsk is performed at startup and that it can hold machines from loading if disk is found faulty.I do not know if URLs are allowed here to post but since it's pretty relevant here I'll take my...
  7. Startup problem. Diagnosing your pc loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Startup problem. Diagnosing your pc loop: Yesterday a recent windows update was not installed properly but the pc worked fine. And I had shut it down. Today it was not even starting all it says is automatic repair failed. So I have tried every option that is available in advanced options. Nothing works. I can't even...
  8. CHKDSK problem when in startup,

CHKDSK problem when in startup,: My pc is always checking my disk every startup but after i wait 8 seconds and starts to check my disk it says checking disk c: but after 5 seconds it does nothing and instantly puts me in the log-in screen how do i fix this please help me...
  9. Chkdsk and sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk and sfc /scannow: For the most part I use 'chkdsk' in Windows 10 and 7 thinking that this helps prevent problems with my HDD and the Windows file system. Recently after a black screen and Windows error message on another Windows 10 computer I tried 'sfc /scannow' but it looks like 'sfc...
  10. PC freezes at a point in startup and prevents sfc scan

PC freezes at a point in startup and prevents sfc scan: I researched into this issue, and it seems like the cause is corrupted system files. The recommended way to fix this is to run an sfc scan, but since the computer freezes before the scan is complete, there's not much I can do about it. Any recommendations?...