Windows 10: PC Froze, then video went bad on restart

Discus and support PC Froze, then video went bad on restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My PC froze and I had to hard reset it. When it came back on, there were graphical glitches all over the desktop and the PC BSODed. Wondering what's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by pjmcguirk85, Feb 4, 2017.

1. PC Froze, then video went bad on restart

My PC froze and I had to hard reset it. When it came back on, there were graphical glitches all over the desktop and the PC BSODed. Wondering what's up. Thanks! I have a support post open on Tom's Hardware with additional info if that helps. I seem to be having weird issues with my PC as of late

System Temp goes to 100 and PC shuts down - Motherboards

Attachment 119913

:)

pjmcguirk85, Feb 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 unresponsive on desktop and taskbar and Ctrl Alt Del screen cant be pulled up

I followed these steps with a clean boot,

but once i went to restart from the clean boot it was loading the updates so i walked away and it went to sleep and wouldnt wake up

so i restarted it and it froze at 79% for an unrealistic amount of time and i restarted it again and it froze at 73%

im trying again a day later and it says its undoing the changes

GahitsKendra, Feb 4, 2017
  3. Ian-L Win User
    After upgrading to Windows 10 and there is issue in installing the pending Windows updates. It struck either at approx 33% or 81%.

Hi Nyima,

This latest method has not worked. On completion of task, went to do restart and computer froze instantly. Done a forced shutdown and started back up, tried to do "update and shutdown" - computer froze? Tried this 3 more times and computer froze or just
    "restarted" without doing any updates?

Ian

Ian-L, Feb 4, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

PC Froze, then video went bad on restart

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

The one BSOD crash record from 4th Feb shows a A VIDEO_TDR_ERROR. This always relates to the system's graphics card (TDR = Timeout Detection Recovery) and could be down to a number of reasons including drivers, heat, power to the card, a faulty PCI-e slot or simply a defective GPU. It's in your best interests to employ common sense trouble shooting techniques in these situations.

Try later and/or earlier drivers
    Measure the GPU's temperatures at idle and under load
    Ensure the GPU is free from dust build up and that the fan is working correctly
    Reseat the GPU and check all connections are securely made
    Check PSU voltages in BIOS
    Try a different card in the system

philc43, Feb 5, 2017
  5. Ok thank you for getting back to me! How do I check voltages in the BIOS and what numbers are good for voltages? I don't know the first thing about power supplies to be honest. I've been having a problem with my system giving me weird temp readings in HWMonitor and my fans speeding up and then everything crashing and me having to do a hard reset. It happens every other time I turn on my PC. I am beginning to think it's my motherboard or PSU and since my motherboard never had these problems before and it's relatively new (Z170 chipset less than 7 months old) then I'm thinking it might be my 7 year old PSU

pjmcguirk85, Feb 9, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    The manual for your motherboard will have a section on the BIOS settings and there you can find the screens which display the current status for voltages. Alternatively a program like Speccy or HWmonitor will also show these voltages and if they are keeping within spec.

philc43, Feb 9, 2017
  7. Attachment 120937 Thanks for answering. I couldn't find voltage information in the manual for this thing so I figured I would post a screenshot to see what you think if that's not too much of a bother. The more I think about it, the more I think it may be a motherboard issue because my PC randomly throws up crazy temp readings and my fans kick all the way on and then my PC crashes and I have to hard reset. I've tried asking for help with it in other forums but nobody seems to know why it does this. Like I'll turn it on and the System Temp rises up to 90C (right now in the photo it's normal, it's the bottom temp showing 24C) and I know it can't be 90C but my FANIN0 speeds all the way up and then 30 seconds later my PC hangs and I turn it back on and it's fine. It happens every other time I turn it on. And then this BSOD randomly happened and I wonder if it had anything to do with it. I have these voltages in HWMonitor here. What do you think?

pjmcguirk85, Feb 11, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

The voltages all look normal. So far what you have described is pretty normal, the PC often has a short burst of activity just after it has started and the fan running high will be to keep things cool.

There was only the one crash dump so please post another set of log files if it happens again.

philc43, Feb 13, 2017
  9. Ok will do. But the problem is that my PC will run the fans at 100% and then become completely unresponsive and I have to hard reset. The problem is that it's not creating a crash dump. And it happens only after turning it on or waking it from sleep.

pjmcguirk85, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC Froze, then video went bad on restart - Similar Threads - Froze video went

2. Updated my computer and went to boot it and it froze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated my computer and went to boot it and it froze: So windows told me I needed to update my computer and I was holding it off because the last time I did my computer had the same problem this time that it had last time I have no idea what I did last time to fix it. Now I have windows 11 works fine have some issues of freezing...
  3. Updated my computer and went to boot it and it froze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updated my computer and went to boot it and it froze: So windows told me I needed to update my computer and I was holding it off because the last time I did my computer had the same problem this time that it had last time I have no idea what I did last time to fix it. Now I have windows 11 works fine have some issues of freezing...
  4. Windows 10 froze and went all colours

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 froze and went all colours: So, this took place maybe two months ago, basically i was playing a game when suddenly my screen froze and went all colours, and when i restarted my pc the screen wouldnt turn on until i connected it to a monitor yes its a laptop and it said that my windows were being tried...
  5. Windows backup went bad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows backup went bad: A relative's machine is old, bought with Windows 8.1 but it's been working fine with Win 10. She was having a problem last week where it wouldn't start up. When I visited on the weekend, I did the only thing I could, which was to follow the instructions: to reformat and...
  6. Computer randomly froze then restarted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer randomly froze then restarted: The computer randomly froze then restarted please help. I am worried about a bad part or perhaps windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-randomly-froze-then-restarted/fd4a7960-b53f-4517-b666-c5b4949f3f22
  7. Pc froze up.

Pc froze up.: While playing video games my computer sometimes freezes up completely. Windows reliability monitor shows: Source Windows Summary Hardware error Date ‎4/‎14/‎2020 8:06 PM Status Not reported Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working...
  8. Computer Lockup and Restarts- Bad Video Card (Again?)

Computer Lockup and Restarts- Bad Video Card (Again?): This is a long story but you need the history and I need your great minds to collaborate with me here. Please bare with me. I'm posting in the bsod section because that it what seems to make the most sense... as far as the behavior/symptoms. I have a custom built that runs...
  9. PC froze while playing game and PC restarted (never accured before)

PC froze while playing game and PC restarted (never accured before): This wasn't a BSOD.This is the first game to ever do this to me and the first time after 2 months of playing. I was in like a 3+ hour session when I noticed the sound freezing and noticed my pc froze.Coudn't alt tab or anything until a few moments later the pc restarted by...
  10. windows10 update froze during restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows10 update froze during restart: A blue screen appeared advising - collecting info and “we’ll restart for you” 100% completed but nothing appears to be happening? The stop code is DRIVER-POWER-STATE-FAILURE. Any ideas what i do now?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc froze then hard reset but isnt turning on

2. pc froze then no video after restart