Windows 10: PC Has Vanished

Discus and support PC Has Vanished in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some time in the past few months, one of my PC's has vanished from the network. It seems to be an issue with Network Discovery. The PC is accessible if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by davefaz, Sep 3, 2016.

1. davefaz Win User

PC Has Vanished

Some time in the past few months, one of my PC's has vanished from the network. It seems to be an issue with Network Discovery. The PC is accessible if you type in a path from another PC, it is also present in the Homegroup, but it is missing from the list of PC's in Windows Explorer, Network.

Nothing has been changed on the PC and Network Discovery is enabled.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

:)

davefaz, Sep 3, 2016
  2. seg_fault Win User

Phone numbers being deleted from contacts in People

Hi

I have a Windows 10 PC and a Nokia Lumia 920 running 8.10.14234. I use People with an Outlook.com account to manage my contacts.

Since I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 some of the phone numbers associated with my contacts have started vanishing from the People app on my PC and Windows Phone.

If I add a vanished phone number back to the contact details it sometimes vanishes again some time later.

a) Has anyone had this and know a fix for it, and

b) Are there backups for contacts somewhere?

seg_fault, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Cortana has Vanished.

Hi Subhamdas,

Since the issue appeared after build 1607 was installed, there's a possibility that some changes due to the update may have caused this problem. To address it, we suggest that you refer to this thread where the same issue was addressed by editing registry
    entries of your computer. Please look into the resolution shared by Shadowgamer25 in this
    link.

Disclaimer:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to backup and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

Should you need further assistance, feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 3, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

PC Has Vanished

Is NetBIOS enabled and which pc is the master browser it needs refreshing open for prompt type net view then for each of type nbtstat -a pcname do this for each name one will show up as msbrowse

Samuria, Sep 3, 2016
  5. davefaz Win User
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

NetBIOS is set to the same as the other PC's ~ Default.

I don't understand what you mean by "master browser". The PC that is invisible is invisible to all PC's on the network, including itself.

I typed net view and it only comes back with the PC I am on at the moment.

What do you mean by msbrowse? Sorry, but you have completely lost me on this one.

davefaz, Sep 3, 2016
  6. davefaz Win User
    OK I have been reading and I sort of understand what NetBIOS is, but what I am not sure is, are you telling me to enable it, or disable it? I am also curious as to why this problem has occured. Surely with all new machines this shouldn't be an issue? Why would just one PC require something different?

davefaz, Sep 4, 2016
  7. Samuria Win User
    On a local network one of acts as Master browser so when you look for PCs it doesn't search it asks the master what's there and it tells it if the Master goes offline and a new PC comes it may not pick it up when it comes back so it won't show up until it's refreshed. As long as NetBIOS is running and PC is on the same subnet it should be picked up

Samuria, Sep 4, 2016
  8. davefaz Win User

PC Has Vanished

1. I do net view and the bad PC doesn't show up in the list. Even when I do the command from the bad PC, it doesn't show itself.

2.Executing nbtstat I can confirm that the first PC is the Master Browser.

3. The Master Browser is ALWAYS on when the bad PC is powered up, but it doesn't pick it up. Even if I refresh, it still doesn't pick it up.

I can confirm that enabling NetBIOS on the bad PC cures the problem. Disable it, and the problem is back again immediately.

But I am not happy, lol. Why is this problem happening?

davefaz, Sep 4, 2016
  9. davefaz Win User
    I am actually starting to think that this is an issue with the router. I changed the port the bad pc was plugged in to and suddenly the bad PC is no longer bad. Now eveverything is working as it should. I think that the router was maintaining some data or other even when the PC was off, so powering the PC up again, even after many hours, the problem persisted. Does this sound reasonable?

davefaz, Sep 4, 2016
  10. davefaz Win User
    And the following day it's gone again. It can't be the router becuase this is only happening to one of the PC's. I am at a loss. However, searching the internet I have seen exactly this problem with NAS drives.

davefaz, Sep 5, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Windows Networking is ALWAYS a DOG !!

1) Disable ANY HOME GROUPS --these are always a 100% TOTAL DISASTER for any sort of sensible Home networking -
    2 Use Connect by account and User name for shared connections
    3) NetBIOS is deprecated --not sure who uses it any more --some older NAS boxes might though
    5) In your NAS / Linux shares set this up in the [Global] section of Samba.conf

[global]
    max protocol = SMB3
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

; printcap name = /etc/printcap
    # obtain a list of printers automatically on UNIX System V systems:
    ; printcap name = lpstat
    ; printing = cups

Note -SMB3 is fine for W10

This is for HOME type situations SIMPLE basic sharing ---- not things with Logon Domains etc

You don't need to enable WINS support either but no harm leaving it in the config file

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 5, 2016
  12. davefaz Win User
    Hi there, thank you for your reply.
    In the end I just gave up and re-installed ( used the new "refresh" ) for the PC that refused to show on the network. That has fixed the problem. I have no idea what was wrong and I am afraid it will forever remain a mystery.

davefaz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PC Has Vanished

1. PC Has Vanished - Similar Threads - Has Vanished

2. My Task bar tray to extend has vanished from Windows 11. Any way to get it back to extend...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Task bar tray to extend has vanished from Windows 11. Any way to get it back to extend...: The button to click to extend this area is now missing </3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-task-bar-tray-to-extend-has-vanished-from/acf5471c-c715-47aa-ad5c-1326ae5be9f0
  3. My Task bar tray to extend has vanished from Windows 11. Any way to get it back to extend...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Task bar tray to extend has vanished from Windows 11. Any way to get it back to extend...: The button to click to extend this area is now missing </3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-task-bar-tray-to-extend-has-vanished-from/acf5471c-c715-47aa-ad5c-1326ae5be9f0
  4. My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...: I tried to restore the files from a previous version also but after I restarted the pc I checked the hard drive made sure it was plugged in then when the pc got booted up I consistently see that message and cannot get onto my desktop anymore please someone help!...
  5. My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...

My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...: I tried to restore the files from a previous version also but after I restarted the pc I checked the hard drive made sure it was plugged in then when the pc got booted up I consistently see that message and cannot get onto my desktop anymore please someone help!...
  6. My internal hard drive vanished suddenly. So I check to see if it has unplugged but it...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. my system documents folder has vanished how can I get it back to where it should be

my system documents folder has vanished how can I get it back to where it should be: my system documents folder has vanished how can I get it back to where it should be https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-system-documents-folder-has-vanished-how-can-i/dee18fd4-541f-43ba-a68f-c983ee0728a8
  8. my system documents folder has vanished how can I get it back to where it should be

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my system documents folder has vanished how can I get it back to where it should be: my system documents folder has vanished how can I get it back to where it should be https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-system-documents-folder-has-vanished-how-can-i/dee18fd4-541f-43ba-a68f-c983ee0728a8
  9. Why has audio sound completely vanished from my laptop. there is no audio sound when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has audio sound completely vanished from my laptop. there is no audio sound when...: Why has audio sound completely vanished from my system. There is no audio sound when playing music or watching movies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-has-audio-sound-completely-vanished-from-my/85adfbfd-349e-4c34-a359-7ca0574ae180
  10. Why has audio sound completely vanished from my laptop. there is no audio sound when...

Why has audio sound completely vanished from my laptop. there is no audio sound when...: Why has audio sound completely vanished from my system. There is no audio sound when playing music or watching movies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-has-audio-sound-completely-vanished-from-my/85adfbfd-349e-4c34-a359-7ca0574ae180