PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock

Discus and support PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pjs, Aug 7, 2018.

1. PJS
    pjs Win User

I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three monitors, counting the laptop's own screen - I usually keep my laptop closed, however.)
    Since I am at work I always lock the screen when I leave my computer. (I use the windows+L shortcut to lock the screen.) This all works fine.

However, after about a minute the computer goes into sleep mode / hibernation. At least I think it does, because the two monitors goes black - and it takes a few seconds to "wake up the system" (the monitors doesn't come back to life immediately when I press a key on the keyboard / move the mouse, as they would if a screen saver was active.)
    This is very annoying if I step away from my computer for only a short while (like going to the bathroom.)

Here's what I want:
    With power (not running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 15 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

Without power (running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 5 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

My best bet is that this is some sort of power saving scheme thingie, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Can someone please help me with a step-by-step guide to configure my system the way I want? Thank you.

:)

2. Vanessa Yar Win User

sleep mode

Hi disgruntledWC,

There could be other settings on your computer that triggers your computer to go on sleep even though the sleep settings is set to never. To ensure that the sleep and display settings are properly set, I suggest that you look into the Advanced Power Settings.
    Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click Power Options.
    • On your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep option, and make sure to set the following:
    Sleep after : Never

Hibernate after : Never

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Please check also the screen saver option.

• Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
    • Click Screen saver settings.
    • Set your Screen saver to None.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, please observe if your computer still goes to sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 7, 2018
  3. Knoxx29 Win User
    Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

From now on i will use the Hybrid sleep mode and let's hope it works as it should.

Knoxx29, Aug 7, 2018
  4. silentbogo Win User

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

@Knoxx29 , hybrid sleep used to have problems only with some ACPI drivers. It did not involve hibernation mode directly, like many "tech websites" assumed.

I use hybrid sleep, cause I do have occasional power outages, and my UPS is not very reliable (time for a new one). I only shut down my PC at night. The rest of the time I put it to sleep.
    So far I had no problems with Hybrid Sleep, except one customer laptop. I think it was ASUS K53S, and it suffered with sleep and hibernation on all OSes, excluding Ubuntu 16.04.
    My old x58 rig also had some hiccups in Win10, but nothing critical or annoying.

silentbogo, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

1. PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock - Similar Threads - hibernates goes sleep

2. HYPER-V Blue Screen while starting windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    HYPER-V Blue Screen while starting windows10: I saw there is no Hyper-V features on Windows 10 Home edition. But i tried to disable by using cmd with this code https://github.com/scotch-io/scotch-box/issues/195 { dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V } and then blue screen has appeared while starting...
  3. Can't switch out of S mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't switch out of S mode: Bought a new laptop today and have been trying to switch out of S mode (because it's an absolute joke) and I am being prompted with "Something went wrong and we couldn't start the upgrade". As informative as that explanation is, I have no clue what to do and searches have...
  4. how do I turn off all notifications on home screen

how do I turn off all notifications on home screen: how do I turn off all notifications on home screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-turn-off-all-notifications-on-home-screen/2931c1f2-adc8-4e18-b8c4-72fca1afc90a
  5. Touch screen sensitivity

Touch screen sensitivity: Is there a way I can change the sensitivity of the touchscreen on an RCA tablet? The screen responds where I have not touched it often and it is annoying... Someone please help.....
  6. Error when upgrading my Surface Laptop device from Windows 10 Pro in S mode to just Windows...

Error when upgrading my Surface Laptop device from Windows 10 Pro in S mode to just Windows...: Talked to support to escalate the issue of not being able to switch out of S Mode. They couldn't fix it after hours of troubleshooting. Many restarts, updates, diagnostic testing, info gathering.... Nothing! My laptop is brand new! I have not heard back from support so I...
  7. Boot Issues Screen Flicker

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Issues Screen Flicker: Hi, I updated the other day to build 17134.228 and now when my pc boots the brand name comes up, then the screen flashes off and on and the brand name is back up again and normal boot resumes. Anyone else see this occurrence in this or other instances or have any ideas?...
  8. Lock Screen background reset to 'Picture' even if set to 'Windows Spot

Lock Screen background reset to 'Picture' even if set to 'Windows Spot: Hello Everyone, Windows spotlight had been working on my laptop from last few months, however, after a recent upgrade, it stopped working. It is stuck on one image, never changes to another one. If I go to Settings > > Lock screen > > Background and set it to 'Windows...
  9. Can not log into safe mode with CORRECT Microsoft password and my account is an...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not log into safe mode with CORRECT Microsoft password and my account is an...: I have googled this problem that I am just now experiencing. I have a virus on another computer, and I have tried everything that I've read and can't solve this. Who do I have to **** to get an answer?...
  10. resolving trouble shooting problem of my windows 10 pc

resolving trouble shooting problem of my windows 10 pc: why i am not able to solve any problem using trouble shooting option?when ever i click to trouble shooting button on mouse i see a error report that say unable to trouble shooting....