Windows 10: PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10)

Discus and support PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So I'm at my wits end on this one. I've searched high and low on just about every forum for a fix to this. My PC seems to stutter and lag during any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Vedegris, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Vedegris Win User

PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10)

So I'm at my wits end on this one. I've searched high and low on just about every forum for a fix to this.

My PC seems to stutter and lag during any kind of network traffic to my PC. At first I thought it was just happening when I was watching Youtube vids or downloading torrents but sitting there with nothing running and a simple message through skype will trigger it too. Just did a re-install of windows and it's still happening, which is making me lose my mind.
    Restarting Windows fixes it temporarily but within 1-2 hours the problem begins coming back, it's small at first but gets increadibly bad later. Leaving my pc running all night, by next morning watching youtube vids is pretty much in slow motion with long drawn out stuttery sound.
    Disabling the wireless adaptor actually stops it all, I can start watching a youtube vid and halfway through it lagging and sputtering along if I disable the adaptor it instantly plays normal, until it gets through everything it buffered.

Heres a breakdown of everything I've tried thus far to fix it.

-Updated Windows
    -Updated graphics driver
    -Updated sound driver
    -Updated wireless drivers
    -Disabled wifi card and used a USB adaptor instead
    -Disabled my page file
    -Disabled event log
    -Tried a different browser
    -Restarting modem

and finally the last thing I tried:
    -Re-installed Windows 10 as a fresh install on a brand new SSD

There may have been a few other things I tried to in there but cannot remember.
    If anyone has had something similar or additional steps I can try please help me, this thing is driving me insane.

:)

Vedegris, Apr 9, 2016
  2. Jackm101 Win User

After a big windows 10 update, the OS started to stutter on ONLY internet (browser) traffic through web browsers. I also regularly access a personal nas which does not cause stuttering. (unless in combination with web (browser) traffic.

Interesting notes:

All of these complaints like this keep mentioning 'network' traffic but always revolves around web browsing. There is a distinction.

If i uninstall the Ethernet (an intel adapter) reboot and it re installs, it is fine but over the course of hours the stuttering will gradually build back up until I am back to the OS nearly unusable. (effect visible using latencymon)

Other interesting note: MS edge causes the MOST stuttering.

Does not matter what network adapter I switch to, it will eventually build back up and stutter. EVERYTHING stutters, mouse audio and video.

This only started after a large update from microsoft. Fresh virgin installs have same issue now.

Only my windows 10 installs suffer from this after that update. (dont remember which it was)

Jackm101, Apr 9, 2016
  3. PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10)

Hello sir. I allready did this. The troubleshooter says is no problem and with the taskmanager, no application uses much ram or cpu. The cpu when this happen, with everything running and lets say 4-5 tabs of chrome is at 20% average and the ram is at 2.6-3
    from 8. This thing is network related, as this only occurs when i download. If i get a torrent or if take a bandwidth test, my laptop just dies, as he can't play a video from hdd or a 240p from youtube and the mouse is getting hard to control. You can use
    it very hard as it just junps from a location to the other one, and the laptop in that point run worse then a 2007 dual core lol

Ene Marius, Apr 9, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi Vedegris and welcome to Ten Forums!

Since you've done so much work already, possibility to solve your problem here looks not very high to me.
    First of all - I have no idea, but if I would be in your place there are few things that I would do: when the problem occurs
    - check in task manager (or ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals) if there is CPU high load and which program causes it,
    - do the same for possible memory leak
    - try with wired network
    - reset you BIOS

I'm sure you've done all the search for possible problems of your motherboard and graphic card.

AndreTen, Apr 9, 2016
  5. TairikuOkami, Apr 9, 2016
  6. Vedegris Win User
    Thanks for your input so far, I'll give them all a crack, need to get a longer cable to try wired but will def give it a go.

I have noticed the "System and Compressed Memory" process seems to spike when it starts lagging but never more than about 10-15%, everything else looks fine, CPU usage and memory doesn't top out at all, just that one process seems to be affected.

Will update once I've tried some of your solutions.

Vedegris, Apr 10, 2016
  7. addicted Win User
    I thought i am loosing my mind, but i have the same problem. First i thought is a Laptop fault, but yesterday i digged bigger, and i noticed first it was when i used torrent. Tried to install other versions and nothing happened. Then i realised it was when i have any download traffic. Started youtube in 240p and when i make a bandwidth test everything get slow. I get frammed in 240p on a Thinkpad t440p with i5 4300M, 8GB of 1600 RAM and 180 intel 530 SSD.

Yesterday i reinstalled all the drivers, problem was solved for a few hours, and it begun again at midnight. Tried to make a windows 10 clean install, but nothing solved it. Please keep me updated as i don't know what else to do.

I use windows 10 pro edition and the laptop is not that low spec

addicted, Apr 11, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User

Check, if you still have drivers that you reinstalled. Windows may overwrite them. If so, that can be possible solution, since you can block new driver installation. Descriptions are here in Ten Forums.

AndreTen, Apr 11, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, can you specify your Wifi card, and whether you previously were able to use Win 10 ok, and this suddenly started happening, or whether it's been a problem all the time since you've had Win 10 installed.

Have you checked for Win 10 compatibility?

Latency issues related to drivers seem a common cause of stuttering.
    You might learn more by using LatencyMon (free by Resplendence) and posting a screenshot.
    This may help to indicate which driver it's related to.

Further, you could try the driver that worked in a previous edition of Windows, if you were previously running, say, Win 8 on it.
    But as noted above, you'd have to make sure it wasn't overwritten by Windows, which will replace any driver (older or newer) different to what Uncle MS thinks good for you.

If you search the forum for 'stutter' you will find a good number of threads on the topic. Please have a look to see if one helps you.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  10. addicted Win User
    I know is not my topic and i apologize, but sincer i have the same problem, i will post a picture with the LatencyMon. I made the test while watching an youtube video and making a bandwith test on speedtest.

PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10) [​IMG]

Checked the wireless driver, is still the one i reinstalled and worked fine. The card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7260 and the driver is still 18.33.0.2, which is the last one. Can't tell if on another system worked, as i just bought the laptop, and i installed windows 10, but for the first month worked like a charm. Yesterday i also installed some things that said were critical on lenovo driver page: Intel Management Engine Component, Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control, Lenovo quick optimizer, and Lenovo Battery Gauge, but the problem is going on for at least 3-4 weeks.

Update: The PC is lagging even if i play video from local ssd, not only from youtube, whenever i make a high network traffic. The pc is killed at a simple bandwith test, at speeds of about 140 mbs

addicted, Apr 11, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you will learn more from the report (apologies if you already know this) if
    a. You read this page
    Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: real-time audio suitability checker

"Report view

The report view displays a conclusion of the suitability of your system for playing real-time audio at the top. If the execution times of all DPC and ISR routines stay below 2000 µs (microseconds), your system is considered suitable for handling real-time audio without dropouts. If some routines have execution times between 2000 µs and 4000 µs, your system is considered doubtful. If ISR or DPC routines are detected to execute for longer than 4000 µs, a system is considered unsuitable for handling real-time audio. Note that these numbers are just chosen arbitrarily. For optimal midi to audio latencies, buffer sizes of a sound card and driver should be set to very low values then only very low execution times of DPCs and ISRs become acceptable. "

b. also look at the Stats and Drivers tabs

By comparison here's mine (you can see my specs- a modest modern CPU...)

PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10) [​IMG]

Stuttering- pops crackles.doc

And here's a list of fixes or attempts at fixes I've found - perhaps you may find sthg useful.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  12. tsaylor Win User
    I've been having this same problem as well, on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with Intel Wireless AC 7260. But I found a few similar threads, which included a solution related to Bitdefender, and it worked for me too! So now I'm wondering how many of you are also running Bitdefender (or possibly another antivirus solution with similar features).

Here's what seems to have solved it for me: Within Bitdefender 2016, click the down arrow to view the Modules, choose the Firewall section, and turn off "Block port scans in the network".

tsaylor, Apr 18, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, correct, some people have found that, but there are various reasons this can occur, some very unclear.

It's also true that people with other AV solutions encounter this. There's no one-size-fits-all-solution, unfortunately.

Here's my list to date of fixes and workarounds found: Stuttering- pops crackles.doc
    Also someone has noted that disabling superfetch and bits services has helped.

It may be that for some who find this occurs after upgrading to Win 10 that they should consider using an older driver.. which then becomes a matter of matching the Latencymon report with which driver to try replacing.

Xperf (from MS) offers further analysis:
    Current download from here:
    Windows Performance Toolkit - Windows 10 hardware dev
    Readable description here:
    Q. Where can I download the Xperf and Xperfview tools? | Windows Server content from Windows IT Pro

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
  14. pashamed Win User
    This worked for me. The higher the traffic load the longer and harder the stutters were. Unchecked Bitdefender port scan and it is working fluently. LatencyMon doesn't show any latency drops.

Thanks for help,was a very annoying lag. Bitdefender team must fix it.

pashamed, Apr 28, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    I'm wondering if anyone's informing them.. they usually respond fairly quickly... it's not hard to find out how to contact them.

dalchina, Apr 28, 2016
Thema:

1. PC lagging and stuttering during network traffic (Win 10) - Similar Threads - lagging stuttering during

2. Stuttering/lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuttering/lag: hi i have this problem where my Pc is stuttering in some games and also browsing internet or on the desktop. its a constant thing that keeps happening.My specs are:MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming Gen3 amd SAM enabledCPU: Ryzen 5 4500GPU PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT...
  3. Stuttering/lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuttering/lag: hi i have this problem where my Pc is stuttering in some games and also browsing internet or on the desktop. its a constant thing that keeps happening.My specs are:MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming Gen3 amd SAM enabledCPU: Ryzen 5 4500GPU PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT...
  4. pc lags and sound stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc lags and sound stuttering: HelloSo i bought a PC in august of 2022, its a very high end gaming pc, great spec, rtx 3080, i7-1200f, 16gb ddr5 ram. Its amazing but i have a huge problem that i cant ssem to fix. Everytime i start my pc and start playing a game the audio stutters, like i get a a static...
  5. pc lags and sound stuttering

pc lags and sound stuttering: HelloSo i bought a PC in august of 2022, its a very high end gaming pc, great spec, rtx 3080, i7-1200f, 16gb ddr5 ram. Its amazing but i have a huge problem that i cant ssem to fix. Everytime i start my pc and start playing a game the audio stutters, like i get a a static...
  6. lag/Stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lag/Stuttering: alright so basically this hasnt happened before but my pc randomly started stuttering and lagging on games but whenever im not on games it works really fast i did a wifi speed test everything seems fine and its happening on roblox and its not a high quality game so if anyone...
  7. lag/Stuttering

lag/Stuttering: alright so basically this hasnt happened before but my pc randomly started stuttering and lagging on games but whenever im not on games it works really fast i did a wifi speed test everything seems fine and its happening on roblox and its not a high quality game so if anyone...
  8. PC and mouse lagging and stuttering during some network traffic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC and mouse lagging and stuttering during some network traffic: Hi guys, I recently had an issue that my internet was down Ethernet connection. I thought the problem was caused by my ISP but it turned out I had to use the network reset option in the settings menu. My internet was back on and everything seemed to be working again....
  9. Audio stutters and lags during video and audio streams

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio stutters and lags during video and audio streams: Hi! Watching youtube and other stuff is not pleasing for my ears anymore, audio lags and stutters, no matter what audio source I am using. Here is a screenshot from latency mon: https://imgur.com/a/KmxGuNt Cpu does not throttle and bios in on the latest version Hope...
  10. PC Lagging very much usually when i make high network traffic

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Lagging very much usually when i make high network traffic: Hello. I have a problem that started somehow 1 month ago, or at least then is when i first saw it. My laptop seems to stutter and lag during any kind of network traffic to my laptop. At first I thought it was just happening when I was watching Youtube vids or downloading...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. high network traffic causing windows to stutter