Windows 10: PC only shuts down on a second try

Discus and support PC only shuts down on a second try in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I posted here yesterday asking for help on a similar problem yesterday: GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MartynasB, Aug 20, 2015.

1. MartynasB Win User

PC only shuts down on a second try

Hello,

I posted here yesterday asking for help on a similar problem yesterday: GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown - Windows 10 Forums

Basically, what happens now is as follows: When I press shutdown from start menu and the PC screen goes black at the end of it, I can hear components stopping their work, but pretty much all fans keep working (PSU fan, case fans, GPU fans). They work for 20-30 seconds and then I hear a Mobo beep (the same one you hear when you turn on your PC) and the PC boots back like it's nothing. When I reach login screen and shut down again from there, the PC fans again keep spinning after components turn off, but only a few seconds this time. The PC components then turn on and immediately turn off together with the fans.

Sorry for the poor phrasing, English is not my native language and I try my best here.

This complicated double-take shut down process only began after I disabled fast startup in Windows 10 (some guys on various forums suggested that I do that). Before I disabled them, the problem was like the one I linked to in the beginning. The whole problem started after I installed a second HDD. During the installation I also removed the GPU to allow me to fix some cables.

Besides the shut down, the PC seems to be working just fine. No crashes, no BSODs - nothing. Only this strange shut down.

Things I've already tried:
    • Disabling fast startup
    • Removing my second hard drive
    • Changing its SATA plugs
    • Changing SATA cables
    • Changing HDD power connector cables
    • Removing and putting back the GPU
    • Updating chipset driver
    • Shutting down from login menu

:)

MartynasB, Aug 20, 2015

2. Incomplete Shut Down in Windows 10

For the time being, hold the shift button while clicking shut down. Or try shutting down by pressing Win+X button, shut down and sign out-->shut down. If it still happens, try to do a clean format of your PC. But if the problem still persists, but only on
    Windows 10, then there is definitely some bug in windows 10, provided your system supports windows 10 officially.

I hope MS fixes this bug in the next update(claimed my MS to be released supposedly, in the 1st week of August)

Falguni Bharadwaj, Aug 20, 2015
  3. PC shuts down evertime I try to open Microsoft Solitare in Windows 10

Can anybody explain why when I try to open Microsoft Solitaire my PC shuts off? It's not overheating and it only happens with this game. I also did an uninstall then a reinstall, but it still does it. This is the premium version. So now I can't use this
    game as well as the Microsoft Mahjong which is also the paid version. Anybody have a guess or an answer? I tried talking with these so called Virtual Agents Microsoft has on this and never get an answer that is remotely related to this problem.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ChrisWilliams_781, Aug 20, 2015
Thema:

PC only shuts down on a second try

1. PC only shuts down on a second try - Similar Threads - shuts down second

2. Can't shut down my pc at all. PC auto restarts within a second I shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't shut down my pc at all. PC auto restarts within a second I shut down.: I have tried almost all the ways that internent has to offerm but I am not able to shut down my pc.I have tried the folloing things.change 'PowerdownAfterShutdown' under winlogon at Registry Editor.change Advanced System properties settings, 'Start up' and unchecked the...
  3. Can't shut down my pc at all. PC auto restarts within a second I shut down.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't shut down my pc at all. PC auto restarts within a second I shut down.: I have tried almost all the ways that internent has to offerm but I am not able to shut down my pc.I have tried the folloing things.change 'PowerdownAfterShutdown' under winlogon at Registry Editor.change Advanced System properties settings, 'Start up' and unchecked the...
  4. PC Runs for half a second then shuts down

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Runs for half a second then shuts down: Hello, I have a newer PC. I just installed a new MoBo today. I was done and ready to load the OS (Windows 10 Pro) I turned on the PC and the fans ran for about half a second then shut down. I checked all my connections and they were good. Including the header for the switches...
  5. PC is shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC is shutting down: My pc is shutting down many times a day and I go to reliability monitor and it says "hardware error" my problem event name is LiveKernalEvent and the code is 141, The locale ID is 1033. every time i open a video game it takes about 2 minutes then it shuts down, please help....
  6. PC shuts down seconds after logging in

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down seconds after logging in: It just started happening about 35 minutes prior to posting this. I was burning a dvd and the pc attempted to shut down, but I kept mashing the escape key until the dvd finished burning. I then let it shut down. But upon reboot and login, cmd starts and then pc shuts down...
  7. PC shuts down after a second when turned on

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down after a second when turned on: Hi! I have a problem w/ my PC. When power on is pressed, the cpu fan/heatsink, psu fan and power led will turn on for a second then turns off. I try to test my psu. connected to a paper clip to green and black pins then turn it on. the psu fan is spinning and it doesnt turn...
  8. Pc will not shut down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pc will not shut down: Hello! I have virtually a new pc, it's running Windows 10. The problem is I cannot shut it down. I click start, then the power button , then shut down. The message on the screen says shutting down, then it restarts. Must be setting somewhere. Cheers,...
  9. Second monitor not shutting off with shut down.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Second monitor not shutting off with shut down.: Hello, First monitor : Asus PG27AQ via DisplayPort Second monitor : BenQ V2400W via HDMI Video card : Asus NVidia GTX 1080 OS : Windows 10 Pro 64 On Power down, the first monitor (ASUS) will shut off, but the second (BenQ) will not. Thank you for your assistance....
  10. PC is not shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is not shutting down: i have windows 10 and hp elitbook 8460p laptop but when i am clicking on shutdown or hibernate the screen goes black and black forever. until my laptop battery come empty, i also changed windows but now in this windows first some times it shut down, but now it is also not...