Windows 10: PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?)

Discus and support PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My wife's Mac Mini is so old Apple will not update the OS, stating the hardware is too old. I think Apple just wants us to purchase a new Mac. *What We... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GARoss, Jan 3, 2018.

1. GARoss Win User

PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?)

My wife's Mac Mini is so old Apple will not update the OS, stating the hardware is too old. I think Apple just wants us to purchase a new Mac. *What We didn't. I built her a new PC with a mix of older, but still good hardware. *Thumbs

So far so good but I have hit a snag. I can only wake the PC out of sleep when pressing the power button, not by pressing "any key" on the keyboard or mouse which I thought was normal.

We will use a USB type keyboard soon but for now the keyboard is an older Microsoft brand which uses a PS/2 connector, not a USB. I don't know if that might be the issue or maybe some power setting I've missed. In Power Options, Balanced is selected & under "Choose what the power button does" is set to "Shut down". I use these settings on my PC as well & pressing any key on the keyboard bring my PC out of sleep.

Any suggestions?

:)

GARoss, Jan 3, 2018
  2. EdwardYQ Win User

Keyboard and mouse cannot wake the computer after sleep

I did run troubleshooting for power in System and Security, and it detected that the time before display goes to sleep is too long (and that it was fixed). But the keyboard still cannot wake the pc after sleep.

However, during the time that the on/off button of the display is white when going into sleep (then having a black screen), the keyboard is able to wake the pc. Only when the on/off button of the display is orange, the keyboard cannot wake the pc anymore.

EdwardYQ, Jan 3, 2018
  3. waking laptop from sleep

i have noticed my laptop doesnt wake up from sleep using the keyboard or the mouse , only the power button button wakes it up, i used to have another laptop that would wake up using any button from the keyboard, how to resolve this ?

2e8f3914-c62b-4338-96e1-46371f94b3d6, Jan 3, 2018
  4. PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?)

The Keyboard item in Control Panel is not configured to wake the computer when you press a key on the keyboard.

The system should ideally wake up if the mouse is moved, however you can follow the steps mentioned below which will also help:

Open Device Manger by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu
    Expand Keyboards from Device Manger
    Right click your keyboard or mouse , select Properties
    Under the Power Management tab you will see the "Allow this device to wake up the computer " Check that , apply and save the setting .

Examine the BIOS settings of your computer for power features that disable or reduce power to ports that are used for your keyboard or mouse. Because BIOS access varies by computer, to resolve this issue, see the documentation that is included with your computer. Alternatively, contact your computer manufacturer for information about how to configure the BIOS.

FreeBooter, Jan 3, 2018
  5. GARoss Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Left click the mouse wakes the PC. I couldn't find any reference in Device Manger/Keyboard/Properties for Power Management. In BIOS there was some options in keyboard settings that didn't fix the issue. I'm guessing once the USB keyboard is installed keyboard wake will work. I use the exact keyboard on my PC that will be installed later.

GARoss, Jan 4, 2018
  6. Lets hope new keyboard will resolve the issue if it does not let us know please.

FreeBooter, Jan 4, 2018
  7. GARoss Win User
    Will do. I've had time to build her PC, install software & transfer data while she closes out her Mac Mini. This has been the only issue & her current keyboard should fix that.

GARoss, Jan 4, 2018
  8. stormy13 Win User

Wouldn't happen to have used an MSI motherboard for that build would you?

If so then there is nothing you can do from Windows to get it to work, and will have to look in the bios to fix it. I had the same thing with my MSI motherboard and not waking from sleep without using the power button. Turns out that there is a setting or two in the bios,

Can't Wake Computer

that is disabled by default. Before this MSI board I had a string of Asus motherboards and settings like that were all enabled by default. Wasn't until I found that thread on the MSI forums and made the necessary changes that both the keyboard and mouse would wake the computer.

Even if it isn't a MSI motherboard it could still be something similar.

stormy13, Jan 5, 2018
  9. GARoss Win User
    Thanks. No, it's a Gigabyte GA-P67-UD3-B3 board. I build a Win 7 with it in 2011.

In BIOS / Power Management Setup, there is a setting for "Power On By Keyboard" with options of "Disable" (default), "Password" & "Keyboard 98". I did try Keyboard 98 a few days ago but it didn't help. I'm going to look elsewhere as you suggested.

GARoss, Jan 5, 2018
  10. GARoss Win User
    USB keyboard fixed the issue! Didn't need to do anything in BIOS. Thanks

GARoss, Jan 5, 2018
  11. We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?) - Similar Threads - wakes sleep power

2. Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.: My Dell Inspiron 3670 Windows 11 desktop has recently required pressing the power button to wake from sleep no matter how the sleep mode had been initiated. Power management at Device Manager for keyboard and mouse are checked to allow device to wake the computer.There have...
  3. Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.: My Dell Inspiron 3670 Windows 11 desktop has recently required pressing the power button to wake from sleep no matter how the sleep mode had been initiated. Power management at Device Manager for keyboard and mouse are checked to allow device to wake the computer.There have...
  4. Keyboard keeps waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard keeps waking PC from sleep: HiI just downloaded latest Windows 11 Pro, installed, activated and updated it on PC.To make sure nothing is going to wake up the computer from sleep I opened Device Manager and unchecked "Allow this device to wake the computer" for:-Keyboards-Mouse-Ethernet ConnectionAfter...
  5. USB Mouse and Keyboard not working after waking PC from sleep, forced to power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB Mouse and Keyboard not working after waking PC from sleep, forced to power button: Hello, Twice within the past week when I go to wake my computer from sleep mode I usually wake the pc with the power button on the case, my mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. The mouse will have its rgb on and the keyboard will not but has a light on for num lock....
  6. PC waking from sleep because power button was pressed except it wasn't

in Windows 10 Support
    PC waking from sleep because power button was pressed except it wasn't: My PC sometimes wakes from sleep, sometimes seconds after being put to sleep without me doing anything. I got the following information from the PowerShell: Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake...
  7. "Power Button" wakes PC from sleep...or does it?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Power Button" wakes PC from sleep...or does it?: I have this recurring problem: About 4 weeks ago my desktop PC would wake up immediately after i set it to sleep. powercfg -lastwake query in cmd prompt returned: Type: Fixed feature, Power Button I googled this problem and also searched here on the forums and some people...
  8. Wake from sleep only with power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake from sleep only with power button: Using a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 latest update I want that it wakes up ONLY when I press the power button. Nothing else. Instead, it wakes up when plugging or unplugging the power cable, moving the mouse ever so slightly or pressing a button on the keyboard (both...
  9. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep: My system: Win 10 64 bit Retail, MSI B150M Mortar, Intel i5-6500, Samsung 512GB SSD, Corsair 2 x 4 GB Memory, etc. Although my keyboard and mouse are allowed to wake the PC from sleep (in Device Manager), they don't wake the PC. Interestingly, pressing the "Power Button"...
  10. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop: I check the bios, and there is nothing about using the keyboard to wake up the cpu from sleep. 94796