Windows 10: PC reading wrong DDR2 memory size

Discus and support PC reading wrong DDR2 memory size in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently replaced a defective memory stick in one of my PCs and now it is reading memory size wrongly. The mobo is a POS-MIQ35AF (skt 775),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vladimir, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Vladimir Win User

PC reading wrong DDR2 memory size

Hi,

I've recently replaced a defective memory stick in one of my PCs and now it is reading memory size wrongly. The mobo is a POS-MIQ35AF (skt 775), CPU is a C2Q 9550 (2.83 GHz) and I have 4x2GB Kingston KVR DDR2 modules. Instead of reading 8192 MB it's reading 8064 MB. When I left only 2 sticks it reads 4032 MB... The system is working normally with no BSODs, but it's quite wired...

What may be causing that?

*sarc

:)

Vladimir, Apr 20, 2015

2. HP Compaq DC5800 Crashed while doing a "System Restore"

I don't know if this will help, but the memory I am running is 2 full sticks of DDR2 1 gb ram, with 2 half sized sticks of ram, same value as the full sticks.

DeclanHoppes, Apr 20, 2015
  3. JudyK_123 Win User
    Will Windows 10 only work on motherboards using DDR3 technology or higher but not on DDR2 boards?

You know, I looked at your graphics card specs and I've been wanting to ask someone if I have to buy only DDR2 Graphics cards? Your PC specs are similar to mine and I'm using a DDR2 board like you and my memory is also DDR2 memory but in regards to graphics
    cards, do I have to buy only ddr2 graphics cards since my board uses DDR2 technology?

I've been looking all over the net for graphics cards to buy, limiting myself to only DDR2 cards but if your using GDDR3 with no issues, can I buy GDDR, DDR 3, 4, and 5 cards as well with 1 gigabyte of ram instead of the 256 ram?

By the way, what is GDDR compared to DDR? ...this is terminology I just read up on since I've been shopping for video cards.

If this helps, my system uses a Low Profile card.

Your help is appreciated, thank you so much!

PS. Are you running Windows 10 preview on your 2007 system? If so, have you experienced problems of any kind?

JudyK_123, Apr 20, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

What does it show in resource monitor under memory tab? It may be subtracting hardware reserved.

5. swarfega Win User
    Sometimes graphics cards use a small part of memory.

swarfega, Apr 20, 2015
  6. Vladimir Win User
    Yes, I know, but BIOS shows incorrect memory size before loading anything else...

~edit~

What is interesting is that I ran extended memory test for hours without a single error...

*Confused

Vladimir, Apr 20, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Yes, BIOS reports the memory without the memory used by the graphics card. Check your bios for the size reserved by the internal graphics.

Mystere, Apr 20, 2015
  8. Vladimir Win User

I'm using a discrete graphics card. The integrated graphic chip is disabled. Go figure...

*Confused

Vladimir, Apr 20, 2015
  9. Dude Win User
    Also try checking maximum memory setting. *Start +R msconfig, on boot tab click advanced and make sure maximum memory is unchecked

10. Vladimir Win User
    Thanks you all.

I've just found my missing 128MB of memory. It's shown as hardware reserved in Resource Monitor, but I don't think it's related to video, it's something else... Anyway it's curious that BIOS reports it without the reserved memory.

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 20, 2015
  11. Dude Win User
    Glad you figured it out. Hardware reserved can be a graphics card, sound card or other things.

Enter *Start +R, then enter "devmgmt.msc" without quotes, select Resources by Connection in the View Menu, and expand the Memory node

My source for this is
    Blogs - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

12. Williams Win User
    do you run any virtual machines? My win 10 virtual installation reserves that 128 MB for video memory. And i also have a Sapphire Radeon R7 260x discrete gpu.

Williams, Apr 20, 2015
  13. Vladimir Win User

Currently not. I have my OSes running on bare metal.

In my case I realized that the reserved memory is for Intel chipset. So that's all good here !

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 20, 2015
  14. Dude Win User
    Um, are you posting in the right place? What does this have to do with the topic?

15. Roger Win User
    Oh Oh............. lost like a ball in the tall grass.
    I tried to post that in hardware but something when wrong.

Roger, Apr 20, 2015
Thema:

1. PC reading wrong DDR2 memory size - Similar Threads - reading wrong DDR2

2. Wrong screen size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong screen size: Hello! I have a laptop with wrong screen size. I updated display and video drivers. I have correct settings for screen resolution and text size, but I have an image is bigger than screen taskbar doesn't show because it is bottom. Any ideas? Thank you!...
  3. Wrong screen size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong screen size: Hello! I have a laptop with wrong screen size. I updated display and video drivers. I have correct settings for screen resolution and text size, but I have an image is bigger than screen taskbar doesn't show because it is bottom. Any ideas? Thank you!...
  4. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  5. Virtual Memory Size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Memory Size: [ATTACH] Is it normal for Virtual memory to take this amount of space ? https://preview.redd.it/ovqvnas4ubg51.png?width=1199&format=png&auto=webp&s=8932c141dd2a781409d0ca9564d9dc86a869558f submitted by /u/Safodo [link] [comments]...
  6. Wrong size of Wallpapers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong size of Wallpapers: I have a problem with the size of my wallpapers and how they are displayed on the screen. In the link down below is an image where you can see what the problem is. I think it may be because of the resolution of the selected image for the wallpaper since a few full hd pics get...
  7. Can you use a ddr3 gpu in a ddr2 pc?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can you use a ddr3 gpu in a ddr2 pc?: I have a Dell optiplex 755 tower that I was hoping to use my Nvidia nvs 310 low profile card in but I'm getting the message that my Dell won't take it do to no graphic signal to my monitor and I noticed the PC fan is using more rpms then usual (based on sound) Things I've...
  8. Wrong file size displayed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size displayed: [ATTACH] I am getting this in my F drive. I updated windows, scanned it using Windows Defender Offline scan but still it's appearing like this. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-file-size-displayed/7d4b0e10-4611-4f3b-a497-abdc51e4c306"
  9. Wrong sizes of updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wrong sizes of updates: Hello. When I look for available updates using powershell script, it returns wrong sizes for certain updates. See the first item from a list on the screenshot. Window update agent (wua) returns size ~61Gb for update KB4483235 (d53bec60-84cf-4d58-8046-02f17c45e5b4) [ATTACH]...
  10. Wrong size of updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong size of updates: Hello. When I look for available updates using powershell script, it returns wrong sizes for certain updates. See the first item from list on the screenshot (KB4483235 or d53bec60-84cf-4d58-8046-02f17c45e5b4 ). ~61Gb [ATTACH] The same issue I've had on other computers for...