Windows 10: PC reboots before dumping minidump after BSOD

Discus and support PC reboots before dumping minidump after BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone! I've been having some random BSODs lately, they seem to happen regardless of activity (when idle, browsing internet, games, etc.). I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Fifo, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Fifo Win User

PC reboots before dumping minidump after BSOD

Hi everyone!

I've been having some random BSODs lately, they seem to happen regardless of activity (when idle, browsing internet, games, etc.). I'm trying to diagnose the problem but windows isn't creating minidump files.

When a BSOD happens, the usual sad face screen with "Windows is collecting error info" flashes for a moment. The % complete never rises from 0, and the PC shuts down. It doesn't reboot by itself - HDs stop spinning, the mouse turns off, etc. Only the case "power on" light keeps blinking. Pressing the reset button does nothing. When i press the power button, the pc turns on normally.

I don't know if the BSOD and the shutting down before minidumps problems are one or two different issues. Having no memory dumps makes it hard for me to diagnose. Any ideas?

- Not overclocking
    - Minidumps are enabled, proper path, paging file enabled, microsoft error reporting service enabled
    - Ran SFC, all ok
    - Ran chkdsk, all ok
    - Ran windows memory diagnostic tool 2 times, 2 passes each, all OK. Ran memtest+86 once, all ok.
    - BIOS up to date
    - Windows defender says i'm clean

Attached is the data collection thing. There are 3 minidumps that may be related to the cause of my problems, but none from the past 2 weeks (and plenty of BSODs in that period!).

:)

Fifo, Feb 2, 2017

2. BSOD when resuming from suspend on win10 x64 (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

Replacing the SATA cable with a new one didn't help. This time however BSODs were different. After the pc was woken from sleep mode it froze for ~15 seconds, then it returned KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR and immediately rebooted (didn't produce minidump for
    that one unfortunately). After it rebooted it instantly crashed producing MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error and then rebooted. Please find dumps with event log below.

Sendspace.com Mobile File

amazin_marvin, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Windows Stopcode Error: Blue Screen 3 to 4 times a day. Microsoft Support guide does not help.

Hi,

There are not any files located at C:/Windows/Minidump, and there isn't a MEMORY.DMP file located at C:/WINDOWS as well. I have used this link to setup the dumps appropriately though, by checking ''Small memory dump'' which was not checked before:

NirBlog » Blog Archive » How to configure Windows to create MiniDump files on BSOD

I will look after next crash whether there are dump files present.

M. van den Herik, Feb 2, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

The 1/20 8:06 dump shows Nvidia in the active stack trace: nvlddmkm+0x116541

You currently have driver version 376.33 dated 10/12/2016. There is a newer version available from Nvidia, version 378.49 dated 2017.1.24. GeForce Game Ready Driver

Ztruker, Feb 3, 2017
  5. Fifo Win User
    Well, i updated the driver but still got a couple more bsods. Still no minidums created.

Fifo, Feb 5, 2017
  6. BSODHunter, Feb 5, 2017
  7. Fifo Win User
    Oh yes, the advanced systems settings is configured to create minidumps and not to automatically reboot, but it doesn't create any and the pc reboots (or "shuts down") regardless. Confirmed the settings via registry, and it's all there.

Tried setting for kernel dumps yesterday, same deal.

Fifo, Feb 5, 2017
  8. PC reboots before dumping minidump after BSOD

There are a few drivers shown in den dumps (e2xw10x64.sys, nvlddmkm.sys,...) but I think it goes in the defective Hardware direction.

Den BSOD Codes show causes like "Defective Hardware" and RAM. But u run Memtest right?

Maybe the BSODs are "energy cut off" related. Problems with PSU Voltage or high temps could be the cause. I see error messages in event log too regarding your hard disk (but the are from 2016):

The IO operation at logical block address 0x733f for Disk 3 (PDO name: \Device\00000093) failed due to a hardware error.

The could be the cause that the system can not write the dmp to disk, because the disk ist crashing.

Try to test the disk:

PC reboots before dumping minidump after BSOD [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    HDD TEST

Run HDTune to check health and scan for errors.

Note It may take some time, but look for signs of any errors or failure.

You can also run a disk check using chkdsk. Refer to the tutorial for details of how to do this.

BSODHunter, Feb 6, 2017
  9. Fifo Win User
    Heya,

Yes, i ran memtest a few times and everything passed. But i'll try to run it again tonight, see what happens. I've got 4 sticks of 4 gb each, would running memtest for each stick individually somehow improve error detection? Or it doesn't matter?

I don't think it's temperature related. I've ran cpu and gpu stress tests, they peak at 68 °C and 81 °C, respectively. Not so bad, considering the ambient temperature was 36°C, hehe. Besides, the pc crashes even when idle.
    Could be PSU, yeah. I don't have another one to try right now, unfortunately. It definitely would explain the "shutdowns". But can PSU failure cause blue screens (I've no idea to be honest)?

Oh and Disk 3 was a knowingly about to fail disk from another computer, that i plugged in to recover data. I only kept it in for a couple days or so. Either way, i ran HD tune SMART and error scan checks on my proper disks, and everything seems to be OK.

Fifo, Feb 8, 2017
  10. hard to pinpoint the problem because the bsod codes are so different. I analysed again and now I say its 50 % drivers and 50 % hardware related.

Did u run memtest with 8 passes?

Here my results from the analysis, one directs to drivers the other to defective hardware. Its now on you to diagnose yourself. Im out for now, sorry.

Code: 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (19.01.2017 16:07:06) [Windows 10] CAUSED BY: ntoskrnl nvlddmkm.sys [11.12.2016] * nVidia Video drivers * => Download Drivers | NVIDIA iaStorA.sys [3.06.2015] * Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver * => Drivers & Software XP e2xw10x64.sys [14.09.2016] Killer e2400 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller PROCESS: System Usual causes: Device driver, hardware, System service, compatibility, Remote control programs, memory, BIOS[/quote] Please update or roll back the red marked drivers.

Code: 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (19.01.2017 21:59:53) [Windows 10] CAUSED BY: memory_corruption storport.sys [16.07.2016] * Microsoft Storage Port Driver (Windows System File) PROCESS: System CPU STOCK: 3.40GHz MAX: 3800MHz CURRENT: 3400MHz Usual causes: Defective hardware (particularly memory - but not just RAM), Faulty system service, Antivirus, Device driver, NTFS corruption, BIOS[/quote] Please run memtest again with at least 8 passes. Try to change memory completely with an other model. Check compatibilty on the mainboard manfacturer site. Maybe this RAM ist not officially supported.

BSODHunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC reboots before dumping minidump after BSOD - Similar Threads - reboots before dumping

2. Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump: SYSTEM SPECS - [ No Overclocks! ]MOBO MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI MS-7D52 AM4CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800xGPU ZOTAC RTX 3070tiRAM G.Skill Trident-Z Royal 32gb 2x16 3600MHz RAMSTORAGE 931GB Western Digital WD Green SN350 1TB [BOOT DRIVE] - ssd 931GB Western Digital WDC...
  3. Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump: SYSTEM SPECS - [ No Overclocks! ]MOBO MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI MS-7D52 AM4CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800xGPU ZOTAC RTX 3070tiRAM G.Skill Trident-Z Royal 32gb 2x16 3600MHz RAMSTORAGE 931GB Western Digital WD Green SN350 1TB [BOOT DRIVE] - ssd 931GB Western Digital WDC...
  4. BSOD - PC is rebooted after a bugcheck

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - PC is rebooted after a bugcheck: our times my PC has experienced a BSOD with the message "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" and I've performed the following actions which hasn't stopped the issue from happening again : - Verified the memory by running 'mdsched.exe' - Verified that Windows 10 v21H1...
  5. Random BSODs please look at my minidump and memory dump

Random BSODs please look at my minidump and memory dump: My friend got a new computer and since he got it, it's been randomly bluescreening with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR error. Updated the bios to most current one and it seems to have helped but it just happened again. It's never happened with the system at load can't get it to...
  6. BSoD text fails to complete before rebooting

BSoD text fails to complete before rebooting: Hello. I am unable to boot into Windows. When I switch on my computer it runs through the POST process and the Windows flag then appears along with the activity dots. It then flashes up 1/4 second the Blue Screen before rebooting. I managed to capture the process with a...
  7. System Locks up before rebooting No BSOD, No crash dump

System Locks up before rebooting No BSOD, No crash dump: I am trying to diagnose this issue I've been having the past few weeks, it happens randomly. I've not had a crash in weeks yet today I had two. My PC will lock up before rebooting itself it does not BSOD nor does it create a crash dump. I made sure my computer was set to...
  8. PC rebooting without BSOD or dumping memory

PC rebooting without BSOD or dumping memory: Hello, i don't know if this is the right subsection, since my problem is the PC shutting down and rebooting, but without showing any BSOD. If it's not kindly move it to a more appropriate one please. I set the options for the memory dump as shown in the sticky thread, but...
  9. No minidump after BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No minidump after BSOD: Hello everybody, When i play games, the PC freezes half a second, then shows a bluescreen for half a second, then reboots. I have no way to see the error code. So, i installed bluescreenview but it shows no minidump. I have checked the options and it should produce one....
  10. Intermittent reboots / hangs (no BSOD or dump)

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent reboots / hangs (no BSOD or dump): Hi all, this problem has been pestering me for months, but after failed attempts to fix it myself, I felt I should ask for help. I am running Windows 10 (64-bit), but this problem also occurred on 8.1 and 7 (both 64-bit) with clean installations. I am also dual booting...