Windows 10: Pc receives power but does not boot.

Discus and support Pc receives power but does not boot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On mobile so I'll keep it short as possible without leaving details out. Last night I left my pc on sleep mode. When I got our of work today I forgot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cedsays, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Cedsays Win User

Pc receives power but does not boot.

On mobile so I'll keep it short as possible without leaving details out. Last night I left my pc on sleep mode. When I got our of work today I forgot it was on sleep mode and pressed the power button. I then noticed everything turn off and remembered it had been in sleep mode. After pressing the power button, there is no boot. My mic, headset, and mouse light up but there is no cpu fan spin, no beep, and definitely no display. The computer is dead silent. I've tried removing one piece of hardware at a time and had no luck.

:)

Cedsays, Nov 30, 2016

2. windows 10 irql not less or equal

on 'every other' power up/boot attempt i receive the irql not less or equal blue screen upon power on,, this 'every other' problem occurs only if i power down via the screen/power shut down.

it does not occur at all if i power down by physically pressing the power button on the pc.

any ideas???

thanx

larryofnewyork, Nov 30, 2016
  3. pc does not boot after last update

Hi Heather,

Every different brand of a device have different idle mode settings. This means that computer manufacturers have their own basic input/out system for handling power settings.
    To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution for your concern with power settings, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• Which version or build of Windows device are you using?
    • What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you already updated your BIOS settings by downloading the drivers from the manufacturer’s website?
    • Can you press the power button to resume from sleep?
    • Can you check the documentation or manual about your computer’s power settings on their manufacturer’s website?
      In this way, you will found out what are the unique features of your computer regarding power options.

In addition, you can determine and select available power options for your device by visiting this link:
    Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC. Go to the “Sleep
    section for more information.

Get back to us once you provide us these details.

Johann Eva, Nov 30, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Pull the power and CMOS battery. Possibly a bad power supply. Mom & Pop computer shops have testers to check the motherboard, power supply, etc..

bro67, Nov 30, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    After pulling out the power cord press the On|Off button or wait 20 seconds to assure all residual power has drained off the motherboard. Then locate the large plug on the board, either 20 or 24 conductors from the power supply and remove it. It has a clip that has to be squeezed while pulling the plug loose. Wait a few seconds and put everything back and try to boot.

Berton, Nov 30, 2016
  6. Cedsays Win User
    Done so and nothing. Peripherals still turn on but no boot.

Cedsays, Nov 30, 2016
  7. Cedsays Win User
    Will look into testing the board and psu at a shop. It'll have to wait til next week though.

Cedsays, Nov 30, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

I'm not aware of anything that would be accomplished by disconnecting the ATX power connector (20 or 24 pins) from the motherboard.

Resetting the RTC (real time clock) to restore the default BIOS settings seems likelier to do something useful. As the OP hasn't given us any system details, removing the CMOS battery would be one way of doing it. There ought to be a jumper, or a pushbutton on some boards, to do that without removing the battery.

I'm a little confused, though. When I have a PC in actual sleep mode (no fans, power indicator light blinking), pressing the power button wakes the PC up.

bobkn, Nov 30, 2016
  9. Cedsays Win User
    Yeah, sorry. Working on details. It's just a little difficult to get proper formatting on mobile.

Cpu - i5-6500
    Mobo - MSI-H81M
    Psu - corsair hx750
    Gpu - sapphire r9 290 tri-x
    Ram - 2x 8GB gskill nt ddr4

Pressing the power button may wake a pc in sleep mode. I usually always did with either my keyboard or mouse. If the pc had already shut down before I got home would make more sense than the pc powering down from sleep mode I guess.

Cedsays, Nov 30, 2016
  10. kipper Win User
    Just a thought.......hold the power button on the case down for about 5 seconds..........then after a couple seconds try to turn it back on with the power button.......

kipper, Nov 30, 2016
  11. Cedsays Win User
    No go. Holding/pressing the power button down does not stop power. I'll try to word this better

Press power button and nothing happens but power on mic and headset. Once "on" passing or holding the power button doesn't turn them off. The lights stay on until I flip the switch on the psu.

Cedsays, Nov 30, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Stop messing with it until you find out what is wrong. The testers that plug into the cables on the Power Supply cost more than a new power supply. Only problem is that it could be a bad switch on the case, bad motherboard, bad hardware device.

Call around and see if there are any mom & pop shops that can take a look at it and go back through checking everything. Standard procedure in this case is to unplug the computer, pull all plugs from drives, etc, pull the CMOS battery and then pull all cards and RAM. Then get a can of air, blow out all hardware slots, put back in RAM one module to see if you can get to the BIOS screen. If your keyboard is attached. You should get a series of blinking lights for the POST. Then it is getting the information to decipher the POST error.

bro67, Nov 30, 2016
  13. bobkn Win User

There are more than a few 'H81M' boards out there from MSI.

I assume that they all have jumpers to clear the CMOS settings. On the H81M-E35, it's labelled JBAT1.

bobkn, Nov 30, 2016
  14. Cedsays Win User
    Sorry. The complete model is

MSI H81M-E34 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I don't have the manual but can download it and find the jumper.

Cedsays, Nov 30, 2016
  15. Berton Win User
    If you don't see any such jumper it usually works to pull the power cord out and remove the quarter-size battery in the middle of the board and let stand for awhile, say while having lunch. I usually time it so there's a long time span while I do something else.

Berton, Nov 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Pc receives power but does not boot. - Similar Threads - receives power does

2. Displayport does not work if I boot PC with an un-powered display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Displayport does not work if I boot PC with an un-powered display: I have had some issues with a display device Texas Instruments DMD. I am using an Onlogic HX600 with a triple displayport IO.If I boot my Windows PC while DMD display is un-powered, then that displayport appears to be disabled for the rest of that session. The DMD display is...
  3. Displayport does not work if I boot PC with an un-powered display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Displayport does not work if I boot PC with an un-powered display: I have had some issues with a display device Texas Instruments DMD. I am using an Onlogic HX600 with a triple displayport IO.If I boot my Windows PC while DMD display is un-powered, then that displayport appears to be disabled for the rest of that session. The DMD display is...
  4. Displayport does not work if I boot PC with an un-powered display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Booting PC does not pushing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting PC does not pushing: My PC is not booting. I hope I dont need to re install Windows since it is working fine just yesterday. This PC is only 1 year old and no changes made. No other application installed just the important things that I need. When I turn it on, it says that the PC needs to...
  6. Booting PC does not pushing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting PC does not pushing: My PC is not booting. I hope I dont need to re install Windows since it is working fine just yesterday. This PC is only 1 year old and no changes made. No other application installed just the important things that I need. When I turn it on, it says that the PC needs to...
  7. Booting PC does not pushing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. PC does not boot!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC does not boot!: problem: computer does not boot into windows 10, outputs black screen with blinking white line on top left corner. I do not know why this happens. I tried reinstalling windows by creating a usb bootable drive, however that doesn't boot either and outputs the same thing....
  9. Xbox 360 wireless receiver does not recognized by pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox 360 wireless receiver does not recognized by pc: Hi...My pc cant recognize the xbox 360 wireless receiver.The receiver does not show in device manager under other devices or xbox peripherials.But my controller finds and sync with the receiver.My OS is windows 10.The device was working fine less than a month ago.Thanks in...
  10. Lost Power, now PC won't boot. Powers on and clicks.

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Power, now PC won't boot. Powers on and clicks.: I lost power today and now my machine will not boot up, or even post for that matter. Probably not the best forum to post in, but I've got a little history here in this community so I figure I will appeal to whatever help I can get. It's not the hard drive. I makes a...