Windows 10: PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

Discus and support PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having trouble with File Explorer on my wife's PC (Val1606). Under Network, it does not show my PC (Tony0415) but it has appeared under This PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tone Dialling, Sep 14, 2017.

1. PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

I am having trouble with File Explorer on my wife's PC (Val1606). Under Network, it does not show my PC (Tony0415) but it has appeared under This PC but no longer. However, what it showed was that Tony0415 was merely a Media Device.

It would be good if I could get Val1606 to recognise Tony0415 for what it is. I've spent some time with troubleshooters to no avail.

Meanwhile, I thought that I would try to set up a Homegroup. I started one on Val1606 but when I attempted to enter the password on Tony0415, I got the message that it was not possible to set up a Homegroup on this computer. I also exited the Homegroup I had set up on Val1606 and attempted to set up a new one on Tony0415 only to get the same message, it was not possible to set up a Homegroup on this computer.

Again, no help from the troubleshooters. Nor did a restart of my router.

:)

Tone Dialling, Sep 14, 2017

2. Is it possible to set up a different start-up image every day on an automated basis?

Hi Michael,

Yes, it is possible to see different images on your lock screen without you having to set it up daily. This feature is called Windows spotlight. The images that will be displayed will be downloaded from Bing automatically. To enable this feature, kindly
    follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + I to open the Settings
      app.
    • Click Personalization, and then select Lock screen.
    • Under the Background section, select Windows spotlight.

Let us know how that turned out for you

Dennis Mop, Sep 14, 2017
  3. Is it possible to set up a different start-up image every day on an automated basis?

Is it possible to set up a different start-up image every day on an automated basis?

GMichaelMoore, Sep 14, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

It's simpler to just use workgroups home group won't work without ipv6. Can you ping the PC by name or IP?

Samuria, Sep 14, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    If you open a command prompt on the computer you want to connect to and type
    Code: ipconfig[/quote] You will end up with something like this

PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup [​IMG]

What you are looking for is IPv4 Address in my case it's
    Code: 192.168.100.99[/quote] Now open File Explorer and in the address bar type
    Code: \\192.168.100.99 # yours will be different#[/quote] Now right click on the folder and select Map network drive .​ Now when you open file explorer and go to This PC
    the drive will be there.

Note:
    You can also use the computer name EG:
    Code: \\Media[/quote]

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

1. PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup - Similar Threads - reports possible set

2. Set up homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set up homegroup in Windows 10: Have just installed Win 10 ot previously blank SSD, in place of Windows 7. Can anyone point me to a clear description of how to set up a homegroup network in my new installation of windows 10?...
  3. Missing Set Up Homegroup button!

Missing Set Up Homegroup button!: I want to connect my desktop and my laptop. I went to Network settings/status and I'm supposed to see a Homegroup button to set it up but I don't have one. How can I do it?...
  4. Homegroup on PC

Homegroup on PC: I have a desktop and two laptops and wish to share files. One of the laptops is the newest but cannot find settings to join Homegroup! I have checked in control panel and settings but is no there to be found. I had no problem with the desktop and other laptop . Can anyone...
  5. HomeGroup Set Up

HomeGroup Set Up: Good Morning. I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up a homegroup between my 2 desktops. Both desktops were upgraded from Win 7. I set up desktop A successfully. I received the homegroup password. I went to desktop B and when I entered the homegroup...
  6. setting up homegroup in windows 10

setting up homegroup in windows 10: I recently upgraded windows 8.1 with Bing, which had a homegroup, to windows 10. After the upgrade I was unable to set up a homegroup. Message, "this computer is unable to set up a homegroup" *Sad 29747
  7. Setting Up a HomeGroup for use in another location?

Setting Up a HomeGroup for use in another location?: I've got a HomeGroup at home, and currently have two other PCs that do not normally live here. I want to set them up in their own HomeGroup for use in another location. Is this possible? Failing that, if they join the current HomeGroup, what will happen when they are away...
  8. Homegroup set up requires IPV6

Homegroup set up requires IPV6: Trying to get my W7 machine in the workgroup with W8.1 and W10. On the W7 side I get an error saying I need IPV6? How to get that turned on? My router has it enabled but when looking at my adapter, the IPV6 portion is blank. It is set to auto, my isp is not doing IPV6 yet. Tx...
  9. Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10

Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10: I have 3 desktops and one laptop all running Windows 10 (wirelessly, except for one desktop on ethernet). I'm trying to set up a new homegroup with these machines, but when I do, I'm asked for a HG password that is not working (I set up a HG when some were on Windows 7 long...
  10. Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?

Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?: I have a desktop (DT) and a portable (P)-both HPs and running the same Windows 10. I believe that I have followed all instructions well, but get confusing instructions when I go to add the P to the DT (main computer). Here's what i did: I set up a homegroup on the DT and got...