Windows 10: PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot

Discus and support PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Hoping somebody can help. I think my PC was trying to install Windows 10 when I did some Windows Updates recently. I use the word "think"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sara82, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Sara82 Win User

PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help. I think my PC was trying to install Windows 10 when I did some Windows Updates recently. I use the word "think" because I never signed up for the free upgrade and I never agreed for Windows 10 to be installed on my PC and I don't recall seeing anything about Windows 10 in the Windows Updates that were being installed... but, from some Googling, I've learned that Microsoft is apparently getting more persistent and sneakier about this. Great. =/

So, I install these updates and when my PC restarts, I see what looks like the log-in screen for a second, along with some text that's not usually there that I think says "System Event Manager" or something like that before the screen goes black. I can still see my mouse, though, but it doesn't look like it normally does - instead appearing in the bigger version that suggests my graphics have been disabled or reset. Doing some more Googling after the fact, I've learned that this is a common problem with Windows 10. Unfortunately, when it happened, I had no idea that I was potentially installing Windows 10, so after I few minutes, I force shut my computer off. When I tried to restart after, I get the following error message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". If I go into my Bios, everything's still in the proper boot sequence, but manually choosing my SSD (that should have my OS on it) to boot from leads to the same error. If I try to use my Windows 7 disc to repair, I get this error message: "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."

It seems to me that, thanks to my interruption of an installation I didn't know was going on, my PC might now be stuck somewhere between Windows 7 and Windows 10. Is this possible? If so, might I be able to use a Windows 10 iso download to complete/repair the installation in the same manner I used to be able to go into the Recovery Console via my Windows 7 disc? I'm trying to avoid having to wipe my SSD and start fresh with Windows 7 again, if at all possible.

Thanks for reading!

:)

Sara82, Apr 3, 2016

2. Product Key for Windows 10 Didn't Work

Fix:

again I did not choose anything...

windows offers: (standard win installation (language/keyboard)

[next]

now it is a familiar installation screen.

I chose: "repair"

OK

down to "Reset this PC"

I'm choosing- "All Drives"

>fully clean the drive

>reset this PC

..."resetting this PC"

Keep in mind:

I've not done anything except install Win7x64ult w/sp1, and then reboot into the Win10 .

I got the new Win7x64ult installed & then as soon as that, I booted into the USB (via BIOS) which had the win10 (USB). I'm trying to do as "clean" an install as possible.

Still the bobbles circle around nothing...

I'm keeping posted

lobster nebula, Apr 3, 2016
  3. Windows Defender Offline

Then you didn't do a "clean install of WIN10 when if first came out."

FYI...

Windows 10 now won't boot, won't recover, won't reset

Windows 10 now won't boot, won't recover, won't reset, won't repair

What You Should Do If Windows 10 Failed to Start

What You Should Do If Windows 10 Failed to Start - Make Tech Easier

How can I fix my PC when Windows 10 won’t boot?

How can I fix my PC when Windows 10 won’t boot?

Good luck! That's all I got...

PA Bear - MS MVP, Apr 3, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

simrick, Apr 4, 2016
  5. Sara82 Win User
    Hi, simrick! Thanks for the links! I'm waiting on a USB drive to show up tomorrow, and then I'm going to give Easy Recovery Essentials a try first. If that doesn't get me anywhere, this will be my next step in the hopes that I can finish whatever install I might have interrupted and get my computer up and running again.

Sara82, Apr 5, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Good luck! *Smile

simrick, Apr 5, 2016
  7. Sara82 Win User
    Easy Recovery Essentials to the rescue, thank goodness! Able to boot into Windows 7 again, and all of my stuff is still intact. Hooray! *Smile

Sara82, Apr 8, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Hi Sara, good to hear. Now, back up all your data, grab your keys for any paid software, and write down your W7 keycode. Then just download the W10 ISO from MSTechBench and do a clean install of W10, using your W7 keycode to activate. Much easier! Good luck!

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC reset during possible Win10 install, and now PC won't boot - Similar Threads - reset during possible

2. Pc won't stop resetting boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc won't stop resetting boot up: My pc won't stop resetting boot up after I log in. It just flickers, resetting any progress on the start of any program starting. I can't access settings, none of the restarting or resetting pc options in the safe boot will work. Here is a video of the issue....
  3. Pc won't stop resetting boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc won't stop resetting boot up: My pc won't stop resetting boot up after I log in. It just flickers, resetting any progress on the start of any program starting. I can't access settings, none of the restarting or resetting pc options in the safe boot will work. Here is a video of the issue....
  4. During reset pc there was a problem resetting your pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    During reset pc there was a problem resetting your pc: Hello while i was resetting my pc it said undoing changes and then showed an srttrail.txt something I had been facing a black screen issue where even when i run exploreres task through task manager it automatically ended I ran chckdsk through cmd and tried to use regback...
  5. PC won't boot at all from restarting during update installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC won't boot at all from restarting during update installation: I was doing some work on my PC, until I noticed that it started slowing down horribly from being updated. I tried going into the Settings tab and stopping/pausing the update from there, but the update tab won't even load for me. I hit restart on my PC and now it won't boot....
  6. Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during: I've had this issue for well over a year now and since then I've factory reset a few times and even switched from a 5-year-old hard drive to an nvme, completely lost on what to do. On the off chance it does boot on the first try it will crash with a seemingly random error...
  7. Installed Windows 2020 update, now pc won't boot!

Installed Windows 2020 update, now pc won't boot!: I have a second hand Acer Aspire XC-885 which I've had for about a year now. After MS introduced us to the latest windows update, my PC kept crashing. It got worse until I got so fed up that the only thing to do was recover my PC by reinstalling Win10. I tried numerous...
  8. Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed Win10 on new SSD, but now PC won't boot from that drive [help]: I'm grateful for any help! I disconnected my other drives so that only my new SSD was connected. I then booted from a USB stick with the Win10 install files on it. That let me install Windows on the new SSD. It went fine, and I was able to boot from the new drive, download...
  9. PC Won't start after shutdown during a reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Won't start after shutdown during a reset: Yesterday I tried to reset my PC, and once the screen went black I assumed something went wrong and I turned it off. Once I turned my PC back on, it showed the same black screen with my monitor saying "Input not supported" by default, the same one it showed when I was turning...
  10. Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ?

Does Win10 secretly install updates during "Reset PC' ?: I just 'Reset' my tablet/laptop which has Win10 on it. It's an Asus T100-chi with 64gb main drive and 2gb of RAM. It's been at it for half an hour now and only proceeds to about 55% I opted to just reset and just remove my files. No HDD wiping. Surely this shouldn't take...