Windows 10: PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected

Discus and support PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I've bought a new PC and I've noticed that whenever the power is disconnected when it's off it does the scanning and repairing thing when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Speckled Jim, Aug 30, 2017.

1. PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected

Hi all,

I've bought a new PC and I've noticed that whenever the power is disconnected when it's off it does the scanning and repairing thing when I turn it back on again. This is if I turn it off at the plug, or the few power cuts I've had while I've had it. I'm fairly certain I've been turning it off properly, I was just wondering if this is something anybody has heard about before and if I should worry about it.

Thanks!

:)

Speckled Jim, Aug 30, 2017

2. LG Quantum "Camera" not working after updates.

This did the trick for me. I misinterpreted the meaning of the word "cold boot". After turning off the phone, disconnecting the battery for some time, and replacing the battery and powering on, the camera became accessible again. After this I updated to
    Mango.

I appreciate everyone's contribution.

Romel Anthony S Bismonte, Aug 30, 2017
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Scanning and Repairing Drive on every boot

Hi,

It can be due to software conflicts. For us to provide a solution suited to your concern, we'd like to know if you're using all the partitions included in the screenshot provided. If not, we suggest deleting it if you won't be using the partitions. We also
    suggest contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to perform hard drive diagnostics. Doing a hard drive diagnostics is best handled by them.

Give us an update with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Anne Ros, Aug 30, 2017
  4. PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected

Hi Speckled Jim. Welcome to the TenForums @Speckled Jim

How are you turning it off properly, that is how are you shutting down?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 30, 2017
  5. Bastet Win User
    Are you shutting down via the desktop's on/off button (forced shutdown - not recommended) or via shutdown (start button>Power>shutdown)?
    If you force shutdown it may affect the hard drive if it is writing to it so will run a repair at startup.
    If it's doing this after correctly shutting down & unplugging the device then no that doesn't sound right.

Bastet, Aug 30, 2017
  6. I always switch it off via the start menu. This is not something that happens all the time - only when it's switched off at the plug when it's powered down. And it's definitely shut down that i press on the start menu, not sleep ! *Confused

Thanks for your help!

Speckled Jim, Aug 31, 2017
  7. Thanks.

Some folks do you power button but they have deliberately set an "Action" in the Advance Power setting. One of my machines I set to Sleep.

I wonder if this is somehow tied to either a BIOS Fast Start Option or Windows Fast StartUp.

As a really quick test for Windows Fast Startup you could disable hibernation which will disable Windows Fast StartUp.

to a command prompt(admin) type

powercfg -h off

To turn it back on replace the word off with on in the command above. With it disabled you could try shutting off at plug and seeing if computer displays same behaviour.

Do you mind sharing make model of device?

Caledon Ken, Aug 31, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected

This happens on my desktop PC occasionally and I can't work out why. I usually just turn off the mains power then restart and all is OK. I sometimes use Autoruns to check there are no missing files waiting to run on startup and delete those. Also run chkdsk on your system drive e.g. chkdsk c: /spotfix

Steve C, Aug 31, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    A new PC should not have any disk or drive problems.
    Is the computer still under warranty?
    What troubleshooting steps have your already made?
    Have you done a drive SMART test?
    Have you ran chkdsk /x /f or chkdsk /x /r ?
    Open administrative command and type: fsutil dirty query C:
    Please post the results into the thread.
    If you have already ran chkdsk /x /f /r the results can be checked in the event.vwr
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Please post information about your computer specs: Make, model, drives etc.

zbook, Aug 31, 2017
  10. alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2017
  11. Hi again. My specs are below:

INTEL CORE I7 7700 OEM
    MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON DDR4 LGA1151
    DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX BLACK [CMK16GX4M2B3000C15]
    SAMSUNG SOLID STATE DRIVE 2.5" 250GB MLC SATA III EVO SERIES
    SEAGATE 2TB SATAIII 64MB ST2000DM006
    CORSAIR PSU 600W BUILDER SERIES CX600 CP-9020048-UK

(That's all I thought could be relevant, anyway - if you need all of it, let me know)

I ran chkdsk. Here are the results:

Log Name: ApplicationSource: ChkdskDate: 01/09/2017 17:14:24Event ID: 26212Task Category: NoneLevel: InformationKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: DESKTOP-QDTHHA6Description:Chkdsk was executed in read-only mode on a volume snapshot. Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.WARNING! /F parameter not specified.Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 364288 file records processed. File verification completed. 6723 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 487340 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 61527 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 37356136 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 243618815 KB total disk space. 79159912 KB in 168957 files. 125384 KB in 61528 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 478767 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 163854752 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 60904703 total allocation units on disk. 40963688 allocation units available on disk.Event Xml:<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Chkdsk" /> <EventID Qualifiers="0">26212</EventID> <Level>4</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-01T16:14:24.589005200Z" /> <EventRecordID>1965</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>DESKTOP-QDTHHA6</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.WARNING! /F parameter not specified.Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 364288 file records processed. File verification completed. 6723 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 487340 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 61527 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 37356136 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 243618815 KB total disk space. 79159912 KB in 168957 files. 125384 KB in 61528 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 478767 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 163854752 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 60904703 total allocation units on disk. 40963688 allocation units available on disk.</Data> <Binary>008F0500208403003475060000000000F4000000180000000000000000000000</Binary> </EventData></Event>

Speckled Jim, Aug 31, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    zbook, Aug 31, 2017
  13. PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected

A little concerned that my IP address is included in the files!!!

Speckled Jim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected

1. PC scanning and repairing on cold boot after power is disconnected - Similar Threads - scanning repairing cold

2. External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot: We have this problem where external displays randomly disconnect. They usually disconnect for good and may not detect. In all cases these displays are off a dock, but I've seen it happen with different models of docks. Some docks use USB-C Thunderbolt 3, one is a recent...
  3. Black screen after booting from a cold boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after booting from a cold boot: Hey guys, so whenever I boot my pc especially from a cold state, the pc post, and boots and I get a black screen after loading the icon in the bios. Both my mouse and keyboard don't work and the cursor won't show up. Only RGB lightning works and when I press caps lock or num...
  4. PC won't boot past auto repair or into recovery after power outage

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't boot past auto repair or into recovery after power outage: I've tried every troubleshooting step I can find online, even Microsoft tech support hasn't been able to resolve the issue I'm having. I had a power outage Christmas Eve and when my pc came back on, it had a blue screen asking how I wanted to boot so just hit enter on the...
  5. After a Cold Boot, My LAN Connection Is Disconnected From My Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After a Cold Boot, My LAN Connection Is Disconnected From My Network: I recently built a custom PC and every time I shut down my computer for the night and turn it on in the morning, the internet is always disconnected. Originally this used to happen after my computer went to sleep for a long period of time, but I fixed that by turning off...
  6. PC scan and repair problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC scan and repair problem.: So a few days ago, my pc started crashing due to the "DPC Watchdog Violation"(Has to do with Drive version). It did this on average twice a day, until a powercut occured. I boot my system and boom! error code 0xc000000f, My pc needed a windows media installation DVD which i...
  7. Black screen after cold boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after cold boot: After a cold boot I get a black screen with no mouse pointer. The computer powers up and the monitor comes on but the manufacturer's logo doesn't show and nothing else appears. After repeatedly powering off (holding power button down) and retrying 5 or 6 times it eventually...
  8. BSOD DRIVER POWER STATE FAIL after cold boot of PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD DRIVER POWER STATE FAIL after cold boot of PC: Hello TenForums,newly system built last week, keep getting BSOD after a few seconds into windows login. After the restart everything works normal (games, videos, browsing the internet). Like the title says only happens after the cold boot when i turn the PC next day in the...
  9. Problems after cold boot today.

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems after cold boot today.: Hello, i've recently just had a couple unusual problems today after i started my computer from a shut down. The first thing that happened was a black screen with no hdmi signal a few minutes after logging in. The computer seemed operational but with just no graphics output....
  10. Win 10 after a cold boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 after a cold boot: This happens when I power up the pc and it boots. The desktop appears, and when I click normally on an icon (a desktop shortcut) to open it, it doesn't open. Instead I get the menu that I would get if I had right-clicked on the icon. If I open it from there, there are...