Windows 10: PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode

Discus and support PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My computer keeps shutting down after I put it into sleep mode, then when i start it back up it says that it shut down incorrectly. This does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by aussiepride, Aug 7, 2015.

1. PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode

My computer keeps shutting down after I put it into sleep mode, then when i start it back up it says that it shut down incorrectly. This does not happen all the time, only sporadically. Other times it will not go into sleep mode altogether! Interesting, I had this problem when I had Windows 7 but fixed it using this guide Performance & Maintenance - Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems

Does anyone know what could be causing these problems and how to fix them? Also, does anyone know if there is another guide that has been like the one above, which includes the ideal settings for sleep for windows 10?

Note: I went into command prompt and ran powercfg -a and noticed that since the update this has occurred:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240](c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -a
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    can anyone help? thanks in advance

:)

aussiepride, Aug 7, 2015

2. After latest windows 10 update my PC will not go into sleep mode but rather turns itself off.

After update my Asus laptop will not enter sleep mode properly. All choices in power settings are set to put PC in sleep mode when closing lid, pushing the sleep button or naturally by selecting sleep from the shut down menu. PC appears to go into sleep
    mode in all instances but when opening lid or pushing any keys the PC then shuts down. This is very annoying. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave

***Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup***

raisinhead13, Aug 7, 2015
  3. cant put windows 10 to sleep or to shut down...when I do select either of tht PC just restarts but dos not shut down or go to sleep

cant put windows 10 to sleep or to shut down...when I do select either of tht PC just restarts but dos not shut down or go to sleep

Tibineedshelp, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Mual Win User

PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode

I guess a lot of people are facing the same problem. My laptop also not shutting down, sleep or hibernating properly.
    It just takes too long to hibernate, shutdown or even sleep. In my case, after sleep I cannot resume, it just a black screen and pressing anything doesn't do anything and I have to shutdown my laptop and restart again to use. So I set my laptop to never go to sleep or anything just so this doesn't happen.

Mual, Aug 7, 2015
  5. elisesdad Win User
    I have the same issue (computer won't shut down or properly hibernate) as Mual. How can this be resolved?

elisesdad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode

1. PC shutting down incorrectly/not going to sleep when put in sleep mode - Similar Threads - shutting down incorrectly

2. My PC shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC shuts down when put to sleep: My PC shuts down when put to sleep, whenever I start-up but I don't login the sleep works just fine but when I login it doesn't work. When I put it to sleep the screen turns off and goes into sleep mode and I can hear something shut down I think it's the hard drive but the...
  3. My PC shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC shuts down when put to sleep: My PC shuts down when put to sleep, whenever I start-up but I don't login the sleep works just fine but when I login it doesn't work. When I put it to sleep the screen turns off and goes into sleep mode and I can hear something shut down I think it's the hard drive but the...
  4. PC shuts down randomly when I put it in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shuts down randomly when I put it in sleep mode: Randomly whenever I put my PC into sleep mode, when I come pack and turn it on it acts as if I had shut it down. When i run the powercfg -systempowerreport that says its an abnormal shutdown. In the event logs, it creates most notably an error and a critical error message....
  5. PC shuts down randomly when I put it in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC shuts down randomly when I put it in sleep mode: Randomly whenever I put my PC into sleep mode, when I come pack and turn it on it acts as if I had shut it down. When i run the powercfg -systempowerreport that says its an abnormal shutdown. In the event logs, it creates most notably an error and a critical error message....
  6. PC shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC shuts down when put to sleep: Hello all,Whenever I try to put my PC to sleep, it seems to shut all the way down. But it turns back on when I move my mouse, I don't have to touch the power button, and I get a 'windows was not shut down correctly' error in Reliability History. I suspect it is corrupted...
  7. Computer shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down when put to sleep: When I close the lid of my new laptop, it shuts down instead of staying in sleep mode. I've triple checked that the computer is set to Sleep (NOT Shut Down) when the lid is closed. It seems to Sleep for a short time, then Shut Down. Battery at 90%, so that isn't the issue. I...
  8. Laptop crashing and shutting down when put in sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop crashing and shutting down when put in sleep mode: Hi, I'm having a crashing issue with a Toshiba Satellite S855-S5165 laptop. When the computer is put in sleep mode, the screen blacks out and the laptop freezes for ~ 5 minutes. After five minutes the laptop will crash and shutdown, generating a dump file. This happens...
  9. Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode: Hi all first time poster, So I'm having a major problem that I can't seem to fix. When I close the lid of my laptop, put it into sleep mode, or put it into hibernation mode, the laptop basically shuts down. The power light flashes on and off, but when I reopen the lid or...
  10. Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode: Hi all first time poster, So I'm having a major problem that I can't seem to fix. When I close the lid of my laptop, put it into sleep mode, or put it into hibernation mode, the laptop basically shuts down. The power light flashes on and off, but when I reopen the lid or...