Windows 10: PC Sleep Issues

Discus and support PC Sleep Issues in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Post W10 Installation - this is driving me insane, my computer constantly wakes up from sleep. It just will not stay asleep no matter what, I thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by xpaydayx, Aug 19, 2015.

1. xpaydayx Win User

PC Sleep Issues

Post W10 Installation - this is driving me insane, my computer constantly wakes up from sleep. It just will not stay asleep no matter what, I thought it was my mouse so I went into my device manager and changed it so it didn't have the ability to wake up my computer. It stopped for a little while at least that's what it seemed, must have been coincidence because now its happening again. Which is weird because I went into power settings and turned "Wake Timers" off completely, it's now switched to disabled. Yet whenever I runcmd and type "powercfg -waketimers" as it reccomends here (http://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-...-accidentally/) to find out which timers are on. It says something about volume 2 on one of my hdd's, some stuff that doesn't make much sense to me. If you need me to paste the cmd info you're going to have to tell me how. Also when i type "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" it lists "HID Keyboard Device" and "HID Keyboard Device (001)." Maybe the latter is what's waking my computer? I figured that was just another name for my keyboard or something, all I want is my computer to stay asleep and only my corsair keyboard to be able to wake it up. Also everytime it wakes up I type "powercfg -lastwake" into the cmd and it doesn't give me any info. It says "wake history count -1" and the other 2 stats are 0, followed by no text or information. Also I forgot to mention but when it wakes up as of now, the display will actually stay off but the computers lights and everything are on. Whereas before when I thought it was the mouse waking it up, the whole computer would turn back on, display and all. If I've been unclear in any way I'll do my best to help clear any misunderstandings up.

:)

xpaydayx, Aug 19, 2015

2. Sleep PC issue

That's great but it won't work for any Surface device. I don't know about any others.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 19, 2015
  3. Sleep PC issue

Surface, I do not own one and I have worked on about 20 of them, but the screen or sleep never came on quickly, so I do not know in those regards

If Laptop

in advanced power settings, you may have to go to Battery, there is about 5 settings for battery for many situations that may cause this

seahawks65, Aug 19, 2015
  4. mkdr Win User

PC Sleep Issues

Why didnt you past both from the beginning? Also make sure under your network card in device manager, the 3rd option is also activated "allow only magic packet to wake up".

5. Kanata Win User
    Likely it's Windows updates that are waking your computer up or you have a cat walking across your keyboard at night triggering it. It's likely a case of looking at the power management options in NIC, mouse and KB devices and figuring out the right ones to set or unset (and it's not always logical).

Kanata, Aug 19, 2015
  6. xpaydayx Win User
    Not sure what you mean by "Why didnt you past both from the beginning?" Also I turned on "allow only magic packet to wake up". Like you reccomended we'll see what happens

Cant find out how to disable automatic Windows update and I make sure to push my keyboard and mouse back underneath the overhang of my monitor so my cat can't walk on it, so it's more than likely due to windows update. Also I'm not sure what "NIC" means but I googled around and I think I know what you mean, I'll try this after I did what the other poster mentioned.

xpaydayx, Aug 19, 2015
  7. robgr Win User
    As kanata said it's often the power management options for the NIC (srvnet SYSTEM)
    Also, schedules for any backup s'ware can keep the PC awake
    This can be resolved using the powercfg command, see here

robgr, Aug 19, 2015
  8. mkdr Win User

PC Sleep Issues

"As kanata said"!? I said that before? And I wont ask a 2nd time for pasting, whats the point of saying "If you need me to paste the cmd ..." but wont do it? Just select all through menu and copy?

9. NIK
    Nik Win User
    This problem requires several steps.

First, edit your BIOS settings (before windows boots). Go to advanced power management options (the name may be different for your motherboard) and disable various options such as Wake on LAN. If you have an option "deep sleep" there, enable it (this option allows waking only after the power button is pressed). In boot options, disable "fast boot" for easy access to BIOS (not related to sleep).

If you enabled the "deep sleep" option, then go to "Control Panel" --> "Power options" --> "Change settings" for your current power management plan, then select "Change additional settings" (or "Advanced settings"). Set "what power button does" to "sleep" (Note that now you will have to press and hold the power button for several seconds if you want to shut down the computer the hard way.)

Go to Control Panel ->System and Security->Action Center->Maintenance ->Change maintenance settings
    and uncheck the option "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time"

Launch Windows PowerShell as admin and enter the following script (I don't remember where I found it, big credit to the original writer). This script disables all “wake the computer to run this task” options in Windows task scheduler:
    Code: Get-ScheduledTask | ? { $_.Settings.WakeToRun -eq $true -and $_.State -ne "Disabled"} | % { $_.Settings.WakeToRun = $false; Set-ScheduledTask $_ }[/quote] Press Enter to run it (you won't see anything).

Launch Windows Command Prompt as admin and run this command (copy, paste, and press Enter):
    Code: for /F "tokens=*" %A in ('powercfg -devicequery wake_armed') do powercfg -devicedisablewake "%A"[/quote] This command disallows any devices to wake the computer. Now you can verify that the above actions worked.

While in command prompt, enter the following command to see if any devices are currently allowed to wake the computer:

Code: powercfg /devicequery wake_armed[/quote] also:

Code: powercfg /waketimers[/quote] Finally, in the future, to find out which device/task woke the computer the last time, type this command in Windows Command Prompt (run as admin):
    Code: powercfg –lastwake[/quote] Note that sometimes, this action will tell you nothing about who woke the computer (probably some deep system process). In this case, the Windows Event Viewer will also show you a wake event but will not tell you who did it. The above plan can prevent such anonymous waking.

Finally, to see the list of devices that can wake up the computer in general (regardless of their current wakeup status), run this command in Windows Command Prompt (as admin):
    Code: powercfg /devicequery wake_from_any[/quote]

10. xpaydayx Win User
    ran cmd "powercfg -lastwake" after computer having woken up, what is this?

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Josh>powercfg -lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 1
    Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB\4&ca1a60d&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB Root Hub
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

also ran "powercfg /waketimers" and got this

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers
    Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 1:07:40 AM on 8/22/2015.
    Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate_scheduled' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 3:14:30 AM on 8/22/2015.
    Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

xpaydayx, Aug 21, 2015
  11. mkdr Win User
    Some device on your usb hub? Just do what Nik said... Or deactivate/disallow any ACPI wakeups at all in your bios.

12. Perhaps if you spelled "paste" correctly the first time, you wouldn't need to ask again? *Tongue

Regardless, no need to be rude!

fracking4oil, Aug 21, 2015
  13. mikebzh44 Win User

PC Sleep Issues

Hi.

I'm facing the same issue. Yesterday evening, I put my laptop in sleep mode and this morning, I found it awake.

When I look into Event manager, I see this :

PC Sleep Issues [​IMG]

So I guess Windows 10 wake up for update check as it's now waiting for a reboot to finish installing a KB.

I'm trying to disable this auto update by following NIK tuto but as my system is in French, I cannot find Action Center->Maintenance ->Change maintenance settings

When I enter Control Panel then System and Security, I have those choices :

PC Sleep Issues [​IMG]

Could you tell me wich menu should I use ?

Thanks.

mikebzh44, Aug 21, 2015
  14. mikebzh44 Win User
    mikebzh44, Aug 21, 2015
  15. mikebzh44 Win User
    Try to run NIK scripts with no success (I'm running Powershell with Administrator mode) :

PC Sleep Issues [​IMG]

mikebzh44, Aug 21, 2015
Thema:

PC Sleep Issues

1. PC Sleep Issues - Similar Threads - Sleep Issues

2. Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues: After last update on Windows 11 64 bits professional I can not put on sleep mode the laptop nor adjust brightness.I have tried shutting down and re start the laptop without sucess...
  3. Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues: After last update on Windows 11 64 bits professional I can not put on sleep mode the laptop nor adjust brightness.I have tried shutting down and re start the laptop without sucess...
  4. Laptop Sleep Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Sleep Issue: Hi. I have to following issue: Sometimes, after my laptop goes into sleep mode and I try to wake it up to continue working, it freezes – The screen becomes all dark and it does not respond so that I am forced to restart my computer. How can I fix that?My laptop specs are:...
  5. Laptop Sleep Issue

Laptop Sleep Issue: Hi. I have to following issue: Sometimes, after my laptop goes into sleep mode and I try to wake it up to continue working, it freezes – The screen becomes all dark and it does not respond so that I am forced to restart my computer. How can I fix that?My laptop specs are:...
  6. BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues: I tried to wake up my system but for some reason I got a black screen then the system randomly rebooted and I lost all my work. My system also sometimes has random issues where the system will fail to wake up from sleep and see a pulsating power LED.Laptop is Lenovo Thinkpad...
  7. BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues

BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues: I tried to wake up my system but for some reason I got a black screen then the system randomly rebooted and I lost all my work. My system also sometimes has random issues where the system will fail to wake up from sleep and see a pulsating power LED.Laptop is Lenovo Thinkpad...
  8. Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue: I was having the same issue as many people seem to, where a Microsoft Wireless mouse just refuses to allow a computer to go to sleep mode, even after disabling the "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep" function.After some fiddling, I finally figured out the...
  9. Restart and Sleep issues

Restart and Sleep issues: Hello, I have just installed the latest update of windows 11 just couple of days back....ever since my laptop has started encountering display when issues that the display doesn't gets on when laptop put to sleep...it wakes up but doesn't shows the display and same is the...
  10. Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue: I was having the same issue as many people seem to, where a Microsoft Wireless mouse just refuses to allow a computer to go to sleep mode, even after disabling the "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep" function.After some fiddling, I finally figured out the...