Windows 10: PC switched me to a temporary user profile

Discus and support PC switched me to a temporary user profile in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and everything has been fine up to now. However, last night when I turned on my pc, everything froze... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by buonafortuna, Sep 23, 2015.

1. PC switched me to a temporary user profile

I upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and everything has been fine up to now. However, last night when I turned on my pc, everything froze completely and I had to manually power off. After I started the pc back up, I was switched over to a temporary user profile. I have no access to any of my files. I've read forum after forum and have tried just about everything to fix this problem. I've been able to locate the corrupted file and have tried to rename it so that the pc will stop recognizing it and go back to my correct profile. However, every time I try to rename, it says "The Registry Editor cannot rename - Error while renaming key." I've tried going into permissions, clicking advanced and clicking "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object." When I click okay, it says "Registry Editor could not set security in the key selected or some of its subkeys." Can anyone either help me out with renaming the corrupted file or perhaps give me a better way to get out of the temporary user profile?

:)

buonafortuna, Sep 23, 2015

2. Windows 10...maybe later (not possible to relocate you user profile folder)

I also apreciated your help. I was thinking about doing it, but i don't know if my profile will remain. If i upgrade now, im afraid that windows will give me a temporary user profile as it did before. I couldn't get rid of that temporary profile, everytime
    i restarted the PC, it adds another temporary user profile, so when i was about to decide to downgrade to Win 7, i have (TEMP.Username-PC, TEMP.Username-PC 001, TEMP.Username-PC 002, and so on) on my users folder. So if i did what you suggested, how will i
    get rid of this temporary user profile (so my changes could take effect and allow me to relocate all folders)? May you help me with that?

Arthur Bava, Sep 23, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How do I fix-You have been logged in with a temporary profile

Windows logs you into a temporary profile when your own user account has become corrupted to the point where it is no longer usable.

The purpose of the temporary profile is to give you the opportunity to create a new user account for yourself. You can't use a temporary profile as a user account. Well, you can, actually, but being temporary, none of the changes you make from a temporary
    file will be kept after a reboot.

Use the temporary profile to switch to a user account with Administrator permissions. In the Administrator account, create a new Standard User account and - this is critical - move all your personal files from your old, corrupted user account (documents,
    pictures, videos, etc.) to the new user account.

Once you are sure that there's nothing left in your old user account that's of any value to you, you can delete the old user account. and continue on with your new user account.

BulldogXX, Sep 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

PC switched me to a temporary user profile

Brink, Sep 23, 2015
  5. Thanks for the welcome! I am able to get to the corrupted file, but when following through with the steps to delete or rename the file, the error message occurs. The only thing I haven't tried doing is a system restore. I really don't want to do that because it will delete a lot of apps and security that I spent hours downloading into my pc.

buonafortuna, Sep 23, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Which tutorial is for your error?

It sounds like you may not be using an administrator account.

If you don't have another administrator account, then you'll need to enable and use the built-in Administrator.

Brink, Sep 23, 2015
  7. I'm having trouble following through with the first tutorial. I am logged in as administrator - I've double checked that.

buonafortuna, Sep 24, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

No problem. What step are you having a problem at, and what issue are you having? *Smile

Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  9. I'm having trouble with step 7 where I delete or even just rename the corrupted file. When I try to delete or rename, I get the error message that says "Registry Editor cannot delete/rename - Error while deleting/renaming key." I've tried to go in and change the permission to give me full access to editing that key, but I then get an error message that says "Registry Editor could not set security in the key selected or some of its subkeys."

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting. Are you logged in to another administrator account other than the temporary one?

As a test, enable and sign in to the built-in Administrator account to see if you may be able to do the tutorial in it.

Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  11. Yes, I was able to switch over to the built-in administrator. I then switched back to my administrator and it still will not let me rename or delete the corrupted file.

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Did you try doing the tutorial while only signed in to the built-in Administrator account?

Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  13. PC switched me to a temporary user profile

When I signed into the built-in administrator, a welcome screen came up and it took a few minutes downloading apps. I didn't see any tutorial - where would that be?

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 24, 2015
  15. I'm sorry - I misunderstood. Yes, I tried following through those steps, and the Registry Editor will still not let me rename/delete or change the security for that key.

Thema:

1. PC switched me to a temporary user profile - Similar Threads - switched temporary user

2. cant login to temporary user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant login to temporary user profile: Out of the blue this morning, when I turned on my PC I got that "You have been logged in with a temporary profile" message. I can't log off and log in with another user because there is only one option to choose from..When I click on Computer - Local Disk C: - Users, it...
  3. Can't sign in Temporary User profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't sign in Temporary User profile: After installing the latest update I can sign in to my Windows 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-sign-in-temporary-user-profile/f67f2dd4-2796-45be-8023-4f1daa313e3a
  4. Can't sign in Temporary User profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't sign in Temporary User profile: After installing the latest update I can sign in to my Windows 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-sign-in-temporary-user-profile/f67f2dd4-2796-45be-8023-4f1daa313e3a
  5. Can't sign in Temporary User profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Temporary user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Temporary user profile: How do I change a temporary profile to a permanent one so that I don't lose settings and data every time I close down? I tried A. User's instruction but I got stuck at the net user administrator /active:yes command. This started when I tried to block certain websites by...
  7. KB5003173 made me go into a Temporary User Profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5003173 made me go into a Temporary User Profile: So I've updated windows 10 to KB5003173 yesterday and uninstalled the update yesterday after I learned that I got sent into a temporary user profile and I can't get back in!...
  8. Temporary User Profile Made me delete files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary User Profile Made me delete files: Hi, I recently booted my PC after the battery went down. Everything was normal until i reached my dekstop where I realised it had been cleaned. All my folders had disappeared. I did not know at the time that Windows logged me up in a temporary profile (without telling me...
  9. Modify the temporary user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Modify the temporary user profile: Hi, Many family members and their children come to my house and use my laptop. However, several times, they have wrecked my personal user account. I have setup a local account for this matter, called Visitor. In the users folder, I renamed 'visitor' to 'visitor1', so...
  10. Domain users are getting a temporary profile

in Windows 10 Support
    Domain users are getting a temporary profile: Clean install of Windows10_InsiderPreview_x64_EN-US_10074 After joining domain non admin users are getting a temporary profile and the start menu will not work. did not have this issue on earlier builds My domain admin user account is working fine 6935

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows switched user to temp