Windows 10: pc turns in and goes to a black screen

Discus and support pc turns in and goes to a black screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Did reset and it never finished now it just goes to a black screen 88228 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by crazymama77, Jul 4, 2017.

1. pc turns in and goes to a black screen

Did reset and it never finished now it just goes to a black screen

:)

crazymama77, Jul 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 Log on

Hi guys, My HP Pavillion Desktop PC with Windows 10 Home has locked me out.

Problem:

When I turn on the PC I get a password screen. My password does not work. I can do shift + restart but:

- Cannot sign in to Windows.

- Cannot access Run or msconfig

- Cannot create a USB recovery drive

Tried Restart

Shift + Restart to access Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Startup Settings/Restart. The screen goes black, no options are available. A minute later the computer shuts down.

Tried Reset this PC

Shift + Restart to access Troubleshoot/Reset this PC. The screen goes black and no options are available.

Tried System Restore

(screen goes black and nothing happens)

Tried Go Back to the Previous Build

Tried Reset this PC

Thanks,

Dennis

35Plymouthfan, Jul 4, 2017
  3. Megan305 Win User
    Windows 10 Desktop PC Can't Turn On After Light Goes Dim

I am using a Windows 10 Desktop Acer PC. Usually when after inactivity my screen goes dim and then the screen goes black, but computer still running, and when I move my mouse or space bar I can usually get the screen back on. But every now and then when
    my screen goes black and I try pressing the keys or moving my mouse, the screen does not come back on and I have to wait until the fan turns off and the light slowly blinks and that is when I can finally turn the screen back on by pressing keys and moving
    the mouse. But most of the time I can move the mouse and press a key when it goes black right after it goes dim. How do I fix the problem from doing that to waiting until the fan turns off?

Megan305, Jul 4, 2017
  4. pc turns in and goes to a black screen

Please help no clue what to do

crazymama77, Jul 4, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Find one or two flash drives that you can format.
    The first one will be to create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

Please confirm: whenever you power on it only displays a black screen. There is no windows icon, and there is no HP icon. It never displays "diagnosing your PC"

For HP computers the F9 key will allow you to boot to the drive without changing the bios boot order.
    You will power on and click the F9 key repetitively and it will preset various boot options. Choose the USB hard drive.
    You will see the Microsoft Icon for approximately 5 minutes while it is loading.
    When it completely loads you will pick the language, time and keyboard settings.
    Click next.
    On the next window you will have the option to either install or to repair.
    If you choose install that will give you the options to remove the partitions, format, the drive and install the operating system as a clean install.
    If you choose repair you will then open the windows advanced troubleshooting menu on the iso. This advanced troubleshooting menu is a little different from what is available on the computer. There are fewer repair options on the iso.
    Repair > Troubleshoot > Restore (see if you have a valid restore point that predates the time in which you first had computer problems); if there are no valid restore points or if attempted restore fails > startup repair > if startup repair fails > command prompt for registry repair.
    Let us know your progress.

zbook, Jul 4, 2017
  6. I'm sorry it's my friends computer it's a Toshiba. I did the repair and now it's back at the screen to choose an option: Continue
    Use a device
    Troubleshoot
    Turn off PC

crazymama77, Jul 4, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Which repair option did you choose?
    If the repair was not successful then there are other repair options.
    Did you attempt more than one repair?
    Please provide the steps that you made for each repair with the results during the troubleshooting.

zbook, Jul 5, 2017
  8. pc turns in and goes to a black screen

There was no restore point so I did the startup repair. She tried to do a reset before and it failed

crazymama77, Jul 5, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Was the startup repair successful? Can you boot to the desktop now and use the computer with typical performance?

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

zbook, Jul 5, 2017
  10. I don't think the repair was succesfull. It's been stuck with the name on the screen and the spinning circle for a while now

crazymama77, Jul 5, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    Are your files backed up?
    Had you made an image of the drive?
    Are you aware of any existing hardware problems?
    Was there any recent hardware or software changes?
    Was there a recent update or something else that may be related to the recent problems?

Find a flash drive that you can format.
    The information that you had posted indicates Windows 7.
    Had you attempted or performed an upgrade since you posted the information?
    Create a bootable Windows 10 iso if you are using Windows 10: Download Windows 10
    Create a bootable Windows 7 iso if you are using Windows 7: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)
    For HP computers you can boot to the USB device using the F9 key.

Many HP computers come with pre-installed UEFI diagnostics.
    Power on the computer and rapidly click either the F2 or the F10 key.
    This will boot you to the bios.
    In the bios navigate to the UEFI diagnostics.
    Depending on when you updated you may or may not have certain diagnostic tests.
    If possible run the extensive or loop until failure test. The extensive test takes approximately 4 - 6 hours and depends on the amount of RAM and the size of the drive.
    Plan to run the tests overnight and report the results into the thread.
    If there is a failure the UEFI test will stop prematurely and post an error code.
    Only HP can decipher these codes.
    If you use loop until failure you will press the escape key to turn off the testing.
    Then view the logs to confirm the pass.

Once you know that the drive is ok you can work on repairing or restoring the operating system with the bootable windows iso.

zbook, Jul 5, 2017
  12. It's a Toshiba She thinks they are backed up on her external and has no clue about the image. Her kids have been playing Roblox and thinks it has something to do with that.

crazymama77, Jul 6, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

pc turns in and goes to a black screen

The information that you had posted for this link displays:
    HP Pavilion Elite 112y
    PC/Desktop
    Windows 7
    Amd Phenom 2x4 Quad Core
    8GB DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 4350

Please update this imformation.
    Please provide as much information as possible about the hardware and software.
    Are your files backed up to where you are able to perform a clean install and remove all files and applications?
    Is the operating system windows 7 or windows 10?
    What is the version and the build?

zbook, Jul 6, 2017
  14. It is not my pc that is broken the one in the profile is mine. I'm sorry.
    It is a Toshiba Satellite Laptop C55-A5100
    750 GB HDD
    Windows 8 but she installed 10
    Intel Core i3
    6 MB DDR3 RAM
    This is all she knows

crazymama77, Jul 6, 2017
  15. pc turns in and goes to a black screen [​IMG]

pc turns in and goes to a black screen [​IMG]

crazymama77, Jul 6, 2017
Thema:

pc turns in and goes to a black screen

1. pc turns in and goes to a black screen - Similar Threads - turns goes black

2. screen goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen goes black: My screen goes black only when I move my cursor to certain spots on the screen, these spots change randomly for ex if I restart or if I open something, it just changes.I have tried updating my display driver, or using win+ctrl+shift+b or even using power troubleshoot, none of...
  3. screen goes black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen goes black: My screen goes black only when I move my cursor to certain spots on the screen, these spots change randomly for ex if I restart or if I open something, it just changes.I have tried updating my display driver, or using win+ctrl+shift+b or even using power troubleshoot, none of...
  4. Screen goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black: Hi recently when i opened a game and started playing, screen went black showing no signal and after few seconds came back to normal.. 3rd time this happened screen goes black and system restarted itself. There was an error code in event viewer shown below,"The computer has...
  5. Screen goes black

Screen goes black: Hi recently when i opened a game and started playing, screen went black showing no signal and after few seconds came back to normal.. 3rd time this happened screen goes black and system restarted itself. There was an error code in event viewer shown below,"The computer has...
  6. Screen goes to black . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes to black . . .: My computer runs, Windows 10.There's one setting, I don't know how to change?After about, 30 seconds. My screen goes to black.When I move my mouse, it comes back on.But, it goes to the login screen. When it comes, back on?And, I have to put in my password. And, I don't want...
  7. Screen goes to black . . .

Screen goes to black . . .: My computer runs, Windows 10.There's one setting, I don't know how to change?After about, 30 seconds. My screen goes to black.When I move my mouse, it comes back on.But, it goes to the login screen. When it comes, back on?And, I have to put in my password. And, I don't want...
  8. Screen goes to black . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Pc turns to black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pc turns to black screen: This week my pc started restarting himself and its randomly one when i playing one when i tried open a game its happened 2 times and today its just turns to black and my monitor said no singal after that my pc just stand open until i press power button and shutdown it....
  10. Screen goes black

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen goes black: I am using Windows 10, my setup is running the most recent windows update, and I keep my system safe with up to date Norton360. But I am pretty computer illiterate. So I ask with the utter most sincerity to simplify as much as you can. I've been having a reoccurring problem...