Windows 10: PC user name is not in the users accounts in control panel

Discus and support PC user name is not in the users accounts in control panel in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a PC, that has a User name (names changed for security) ...User name ABCD. Groing to the Dir C:\Users I can plainly see a directory ABDCZ... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Janning, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Janning Win User

PC user name is not in the users accounts in control panel

I have a PC, that has a User name (names changed for security) ...User name ABCD.
    Groing to the Dir C:\Users I can plainly see a directory ABDCZ (again fake username for security)
    Other dir under d:\users are the usual that include ABDCZ and the below:
    All users
    Default user
    degault migrated
    Public

Going to the control panel, System, I see computer name ABCD-PC and full computer name ABCD-PC.
    Going to control panel, user accounts I see ABCD...No other users.

When I login to this PC, from external app, I have to use ABCDZ user name.

How did this happen?

:)

Janning, Mar 11, 2017

2. changing adminstrater on my PC

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

Select manage another account

select add a new user

put your name and password in and select Administrator

To change previous user from the name to XXX name

select make changes to my acct in PC settings

Here you should be able to change the name

seahawks65, Mar 11, 2017
  3. Desktop

Control Panel | User Accounts | Make changes to my account in PC settings | Manage my Microsoft account | Edit Name.

Bruce Hagen, Mar 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Was the account ever switched between a local account and a Microsoft Account?

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2017
  5. Janning Win User
    Oh yes...that nightmare (I got rid of the MS acct). I've been told there is a difference between account name and user name. I never knew this. That being said, I know where to look at the User accounts in control panel...user accounts (here it is ABCD). Well this implies it is the user id...but evidently not, because on the C drive in (C:\Users)...this directory is not the same ..the directory is ABCDZ. Then you have control panel, System ...PC name is ABCD-PC as is the full name..

so? what is the proper lableing of these?

1) Control panel, system computer name and full name? is this the account with the -PC addendum?
    2) Control panel, "USER" accounts...the name implies THIS is the user, but it is ABCD..the account name.
    3) in explorer, the C:\Users\ABCDZ? This is obviously my user id.
    4) the lock screen comes up with ABCD...again the acct name.

Where would you edit the user id (ABCDZ) is not in control panel, user accounts?

Janning, Mar 12, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "I see computer name ABCD-PC and full computer name ABCD-PC."

These were established on initial Win10 install. Can be changed in registry, if it bothers you but has nothing to do with user name or folders.

"Oh yes...that nightmare (I got rid of the MS acct)."

This is where the 2nd name came from, when you switched to Local Account instead. At this point, if you want your id to be ABCDZ, both at lock screen and on all folders under This PC, get rid of the ABCD acct and just use the Local, to which you can add an MS email acct to later. Follow Brink's instructions in post 8 of this thread and if ALL your data is already in the This PC folders under the name you want, you can skip copying files to the desired name-
    is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ?

mrgeek, Mar 12, 2017
  7. Janning Win User
    you say "get rid of the ABCD acct and just use the Local,"....how? in Control panel, "USER" accounts.....ABCD is the Only account there....I don't think it will let me get rid of the sole account.

Janning, Mar 12, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You have to create a new LOCAL account with the exact username that you want - which will also be the name of the folder created under the \Users folder. Don't forget to change the new account to administrator. Then you can copy over data files from the old user account and delete it. Once you have the local account established, then you can change it to a Microsoft Account login if you want to and the will not change the base user name or the folder name under \Users.

NavyLCDR, Mar 12, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    Follow NavyLCDR's precise process if the current username is not what you want it to be. A Local Account can be the only one on the device, if you do not want to use the Onedrive or Store Apps features. Like I said earlier, if you do want to use these, just convert the account to a MS, at any time, by electing 'Sign in with MS account instead' in Action Center\Accounts which will not affect the username you chose.

To creating a new Local Account (give it admin to be able to delete superfluous users later) follow this excellent, detailed Brink tutorial, getting to the screenshot in Step 2 by clicking Action Center\All settings\Accounts. You will see in advance, every single window you will be greeted with. When done, you will see the new, perfect username under C:Users.

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

Make sure, as we both said, that if there are files in any other username's This PC folders that you want to keep, that you move them to the corresponding ones in the new name before you delete that user. EG; ABCD Music to ABCDZ Music, etc. If you forget, when you go to delete the un-needed user, Win10 will ask you confirm if you want to keep or delete that user's files so you have two chances not to mess up. Of course, even though this process is simple, backup your data before all this. Now, to delete unwanted users, use Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage another account.

Good Luck and mark topic solved if your issue is fixed so Others with same problem can more easily find solution.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC user name is not in the users accounts in control panel - Similar Threads - user name users

2. Account added via "Control Panel > User Accounts > Add a new user in PC settings" vs...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account added via "Control Panel > User Accounts > Add a new user in PC settings" vs...: Hi thereIn Windows 11, what is the difference between a user account added via "Control Panel > User Accounts > Add a new user in PC settings" vs "Settings > Accounts > Email & Accounts"?Thank you....
  3. advanced user account control panel

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    advanced user account control panel: advanced user account control panel ask me to register admin username and password... but there is only NO button. i couldnt do anything, even install windows media creatio tools...
  4. User Control Panel

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Control Panel: i am the administrator of my pc and i dont have any guest account. It not allowing me to change settings neither there is an option to enter id password. how can i solve this problem?...
  5. User Name at C/Users did not change after change user name at the control panel

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Name at C/Users did not change after change user name at the control panel: I've changed my user name on windows 10 on "Control Panel" from ASUS to Syafa Hadyan but, in C/Users the user name not changed [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. User Accounts now visible in Control Panel\Users

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Accounts now visible in Control Panel\Users: Windows Server 2019 Standard in Workgroup not domain Several RDP users. SQL Server 2017 Standard Core. So, some week ago I noticed that the users process is not listed anymore. I am logged in as the administrator, still in the Administrators Group. I have tried with other...
  7. Control panel user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control panel user account: I forgot to put a password on and i can't switch into the admin account or delete it so how do i fix it and If I take it to the windows center to let them clean up, will it help?...
  8. Advanced user accounts control panel

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Advanced user accounts control panel: I am not able to sign in any Microsoft account as I have more than two Microsoft account on single PC e and not able to remove any account and suddenly I change the administrator settings in which I switched from admin to local user Anna Anna and I am not able to access my...
  9. user account control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user account control panel: When I try and download an app on Windows 10 Pro the UAC panel only has a 'NO' option. The 'YES' option is missing. Have tried various options listed on internet sites but nothing works to date. Thank you...
  10. Control Panel - User accounts -

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Control Panel - User accounts -: My user account doesn't provide a "Create a Password Reset Disk" topic, how can I solve this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-user-accounts/51c19f6a-f15b-46cd-a82d-71e1c34e15a7

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change microsoft adminstrater