Windows 10: Pc wants to boot from my usb that holds my File History

Discus and support Pc wants to boot from my usb that holds my File History in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I restart my desktop computer with a usb thumb drive plugged in I get the following: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cjayed, Jul 5, 2017.

1. cjayed Win User

Pc wants to boot from my usb that holds my File History

Whenever I restart my desktop computer with a usb thumb drive plugged in I get the following: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system". My File History is saved to a usb so I want to be able to always have it plugged in.

The boot order in bios looks like the below. Can someone advise on what the recommended boot order and other settings (disable & enable settings) should be. Thank you.

Boot Menu Type <normal>
    Boot Device Priority <optical drives>
    <hard disk drives>
    <removable drives>
    <network>
    Hard Drive Order PO: Hitachi
    Optical Drive Order PE: Atapi
    Removable Drive Order Multi Flash Reader 1.00
    Boot to Optical Devices enable
    boot to removable devices enable
    boot to network enable
    Usb boot enable
    boot usb devices first disable
    uef1 boot disable

:)

cjayed, Jul 5, 2017

2. File History of files on external USB harddisk drive

Hi,

I have a external harddisk connected to my pc using USB. This drive contains personal files which I want to add to file history. I simply want that everytime I connect my external harddrive to my pc, that file history backs up the files on it to a location
    on the network. How do I do that?

* I have file history working for files on an internal harddrive

* I did add my external harddrive to the Documents library

* I tried adding the folder on the external harddrive using the "Add a folder" using the windows 10 settings. But the folder seems to dissappear from the list after a while.

Another detail: the disk is encrypted using DiskCryptor. Everytime I connect the drive windows says it has to be formatted. When I mount the drive by providing the key to DiskCryptor the drive becomes a valid one.

Stefan Cloudt, Jul 5, 2017
  3. PC.Baker Win User
    How can I restore files from backup on a different pc?.

Did you find the answer to this? I'm having a similar problem. My computer crashed. I had my File History on another drive. Now that I have a new PC I want to restore from File History but can't seem to see the original File History files to restore.

PC.Baker, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Used to see that type problem with CD drives when a disc was left in it. Kinda weird but one might reformat the Thumb drive as NTFS as that sometimes makes them unbootable but still read/write capable in Windows. But be sure to first save the data elsewhere then copy it back.

Berton, Jul 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Pc wants to boot from my usb that holds my File History - Similar Threads - wants boot usb

2. OneDrive holding my files hostage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive holding my files hostage?: I recently reset my computer and attempted to copy about 500 GB of photos from an external hard drive back onto the standard Pictures folder. I let it copy overnight and when I woke up I noticed a bunch of red X's on most files under a new "Status" column. After a bit of...
  3. OneDrive holding my files hostage?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive holding my files hostage?: I recently reset my computer and attempted to copy about 500 GB of photos from an external hard drive back onto the standard Pictures folder. I let it copy overnight and when I woke up I noticed a bunch of red X's on most files under a new "Status" column. After a bit of...
  4. OneDrive holding my files hostage?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. My pc won´t boot Windows 10 from USB

My pc won´t boot Windows 10 from USB: I need to reinstall win10 mostly because the passwords won't work nor can I recover them. I created a USB drive installer using the Media CreationTool. The pc will not boot from the USB drive no matter what USB drive I choose in the bios. We recently moved and we still...
  6. why does my pc not boot from usb flash drive?

why does my pc not boot from usb flash drive?: I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10. I have done everything that is said, but don't work. What am I doin wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-pc-not-boot-from-usb-flash-drive/a4f9bf5a-3d2a-4bd2-b701-68787c37206f
  7. why does my pc not boot from usb flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    why does my pc not boot from usb flash drive?: I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10. I have done everything that is said, but don't work. What am I doin wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-pc-not-boot-from-usb-flash-drive/a4f9bf5a-3d2a-4bd2-b701-68787c37206f
  8. Is it possible to boot my pc from a normal usb?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to boot my pc from a normal usb?: Hi, recently I bought a new ssd for my pc. And I would like to know if i can boot windows form a normal USB-Stick instead from a usb-flashdrive...
  9. OneDrive holding my files hostage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OneDrive holding my files hostage: I can't connect to onedrive so I can't get to my files that I really need. How can I get my files and how do I trust Onedrive in the future? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-holding-my-files-hostage/1111a637-bf8e-4e70-8917-c57763d3847d
  10. PC will not Boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC will not Boot from USB: I know this is a very common problem but I still need help non the less. I recently purchased a PC at a garage sale (it actually turns on and displays the bios) that has and Intel core 2 duo 8GB of DDR2 ram all on a Intel Desktop Board DQ35JO. I recently put Windows 10 (x64...