Windows 10: PC Will not start up or Restart

Discus and support PC Will not start up or Restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This started last week, after a crucial update I believe, but I cannot be sure. First of all the start and search buttons would not work. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SteveKent, Mar 18, 2016.

1. SteveKent Win User

PC Will not start up or Restart

This started last week, after a crucial update I believe, but I cannot be sure.

First of all the start and search buttons would not work.

I tried many of the repairs found doing a search but none worked, including trying a restore point, which it failed.

I then tried reset PC, which it failed.

I then bit the bullet and and done a fresh install, (all data on separate disks).

PC started up fine, but again would not start up after power down or restart.

It gets to four blue window things, white dots going in circles, then the screen goes black, (not blue, but what the hell).

The HDD light continues to flash for 20 or so minutes, then stops.

Also tried removing "start up windows quickly" box as well.

Thought it might be the HDD so I replaced it with a 250GB SDD, loaded WIndows 10 Pro using the ISO disk, and exactly the same thing.

Got to the blue window, rotating circles, black screen.

On startup the PC give the normal one beep.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

SteveKent, Mar 18, 2016

2. PC will not complete start up or shut down

Hi Rachelle,

We'll be needing more information about the issue you are experiencing to further assist you.

• What is the exact error message? Please send us a screenshot.
    • Were there changes made on the PC prior to the issue?
    • Does the issue occur only when starting up and shutting down the PC?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Aileen Alf, Mar 18, 2016
  3. PC will not complete start up or shut down

I get this code: COMCENTR.CHM error 2

Is there anything I can do? Neither do I know which category it is under.

Thanks

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Rachelle693, Mar 18, 2016
  4. SteveKent Win User

Also run scans using Kaspersky, AGV free, and TDDSKiller

SteveKent, Mar 18, 2016
  5. SteveKent Win User
    Now run mem86, with no errors.

SteveKent, Mar 18, 2016
  6. SteveKent Win User
    What's the probability of the this being hardware vs software?

SteveKent, Mar 19, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    Have you checked Device Manager to see if all the drivers are installed correctly?

Winuser, Mar 19, 2016
  8. SteveKent Win User

All OK in device manager, no warnings anyway.

SteveKent, Mar 19, 2016
  9. SteveKent Win User
    I believe I have narrowed it down to the LAN driver, old MB with 8111 realtec chip, and I cannot find a Win10 driver.

I have managed to do a fresh install of Win 10, install Kaspersky, iTunes, and a few other programs for which I already had the installation files on the data discs.

If I then remove the LAN cable it powers down starts and restarts every time.

So now I am looking for a PCIe LAN card with the 8153 chip which realtec seem to support for Win10.

Any recommendations?

I have now disabled the onboard LAN and it reboots every time.

SteveKent, Mar 20, 2016
  10. SteveKent Win User
    Probably a rash decision, but I have just ordered a USB3 to LAN adapter using the 8153 chip.

If it doesn't work I can return it.

SteveKent, Mar 20, 2016
  11. SteveKent Win User
    Found a Win 10 driver, but still no go, must be the MB LAN.

New cable did not help either.

Or it is the driver, as it's a Feb driver, and this all started in March after a Win update.

SteveKent, Mar 20, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    I think you answered your own question. *Smile Hope the new card works OK.

Winuser, Mar 21, 2016
  13. SteveKent Win User

Not a card, but a USB3 to LAN adapter.

And it is working so far.

SteveKent, Mar 21, 2016
  14. SteveKent Win User
    Just an update, all still working so it was the LAN driver.

SteveKent, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC Will not start up or Restart - Similar Threads - start Restart

2. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot: What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-start-correctly-and-keeps-restarting/b643ab73-a523-4d98-b297-f62a61e70d8e
  3. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot: What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-start-correctly-and-keeps-restarting/b643ab73-a523-4d98-b297-f62a61e70d8e
  4. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?: I know this can be changed, but I can't remember how to do it. I want the power button on the start menu to show "restart" instead of "shut down". I know there's a drop down menu, but I want to set it and forget it....
  6. How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?

How can I set the start menu power button to restart instead of shut down?: I know this can be changed, but I can't remember how to do it. I want the power button on the start menu to show "restart" instead of "shut down". I know there's a drop down menu, but I want to set it and forget it....
  7. My computer recently started restarting suddenly while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer recently started restarting suddenly while gaming: Hello,I've started having this problem recently and would love some help in diagnosing it. I had a similar issue in the past that was helped by flashing BIOS, reinstalling my GPU driver with "driver only" settings. So I feel like this is a software issue again but the same...
  8. My computer recently started restarting suddenly while gaming

My computer recently started restarting suddenly while gaming: Hello,I've started having this problem recently and would love some help in diagnosing it. I had a similar issue in the past that was helped by flashing BIOS, reinstalling my GPU driver with "driver only" settings. So I feel like this is a software issue again but the same...
  9. My computer won't start after attempting to restart it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer won't start after attempting to restart it: While trying to get my computer to restart it had a screen up that said "press any key to skip checking drives" I accidentally pressed a key while moving my keyboard to try not to press a key and now when I press the power button it dings but my fan doesn't start and the...
  10. My computer won't start after attempting to restart it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer won't start after attempting to restart it: While trying to get my computer to restart it had a screen up that said "press any key to skip checking drives" I accidentally pressed a key while moving my keyboard to try not to press a key and now when I press the power button it dings but my fan doesn't start and the...