Windows 10: PC will only boot into Safe mode

Discus and support PC will only boot into Safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My PC has been stable for several months, since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. On Friday something changed (not triggered by any user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bluepc, Oct 2, 2016.

1. bluepc Win User

PC will only boot into Safe mode

Hello,

My PC has been stable for several months, since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. On Friday something changed (not triggered by any user action) and the PC is now no longer able to boot successfully.

The boot cycle now goes BIOS->Blue Windows logo with spinning dots -> Blank screen with spinning dots.
    And it hangs at this last point (I left the PC overnight twice - both times, no progress).

I can boot the PC into Safe mode and Safe mode with networking, which both work fine. But every other attempt to boot into any other configuration results in the same hanging state. Even when I try to boot into "Diagnostic Startup" mode which shouldn't load many drivers at all, it hangs at the "Blank screen with spinning dots" phase.

I've tried several restore options:
    - the auto-fix startup issues tool runs for about 20 mins then crashes with an error, and doesn't improve anything
    - the tool to roll back to a previous configuration seemed to work but no improvement
    - I've enabled and looked at the boot log but nothing obvious leaps out at me
    - I've disabled Windows Defender as it looked like few of the defender services were having load problems.
    All with no improvement.

So it seems to me that some service is having difficulty starting up, but I have no idea which one it is as the boot log file doesn't tell me where it is hanging (a bit frustratingly!). Only what it has loaded successfully.

Any ideas what should be the next step?

:)

bluepc, Oct 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 only lets me boot into Safe Mode

Hi Mike75831012 , Thanks for the update. If you have bootable Windows 10 media, I would recommend you boot from it. At the Install Now screen, click 'Repair your computer. This will boot you into the recovery environment. Click Troubleshoot Click Advanced
    Options Click Command Prompt Run the DISM commands again. If you don't have boot media, you can download and create it using the following instructions on a working computer. How to Download Official Windows 10 ISO files Using Media Creation Tool or Directly Using your Web Browser
    Best, Andre Windows Insider MVP MVP-Windows and Devices for IT Andre Da Costa (@adacosta) | Twitter

Andre Da Costa, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 only lets me boot into Safe Mode

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to run the first two commands with no issue but the third seemed to fail.

C:\Users\Mike>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.15063.0

Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

No component store corruption detected.

The operation completed successfully.

C:\Users\Mike>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The component store is repairable.

The operation completed successfully.

C:\Users\Mike>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[===========================85.7%================= ]

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.

Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Mike75831012, Oct 2, 2016
  4. PC will only boot into Safe mode

enter msconfig in run command and uncheck boot in safe mode if that is already has a check mark in it.

lopedoggie, Oct 2, 2016
  5. 1luis Win User
    I have the exact same problem since Friday as well, also haven't been able to make any progress since

1luis, Oct 2, 2016
  6. bluepc Win User
    Hello,
    When I try to boot in any other mode other than safe mode, the PC never finishes the boot cycle. This is the problem I am trying to solve.
    Thanks

bluepc, Oct 2, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Oct 2, 2016
  8. bluepc Win User

Hi,

I tried the clean boot exactly as described, and unfortunately it didn't work - the PC still hangs at startup.
    The same hanging happens if I try to boot to Diagnostic Startup mode.

I'm not sure what is different between Safe Mode and Clean Boot mode, but something is... and that difference is enough for the PC to hang.

Any ideas for next steps are very welcome!
    thanks

bluepc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC will only boot into Safe mode - Similar Threads - boot Safe mode

2. Laptop only boots up in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop only boots up in safe mode: When I first got my laptop Samsung Odyssey z from my uncle, it worked completely fine, running on windows 11 education. However, a couple days later after coming home, it failed to boot, showing the loading screen and then the screen turned off with the power button led still...
  3. Laptop only boots up in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop only boots up in safe mode: When I first got my laptop Samsung Odyssey z from my uncle, it worked completely fine, running on windows 11 education. However, a couple days later after coming home, it failed to boot, showing the loading screen and then the screen turned off with the power button led still...
  4. Laptop only boots up in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC only works in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC only works in Safe Mode: HI,I've spent about a week trying to troubleshoot this issue. I'll try and add everything I remember I've found from research and attempted.System: R7 2700X, 16gb DDR4 3200, GTX980 Ti. WD Blue 1Tb NVME for C drive, Seagate SSHD for D game driveThe issue: on boot, my PC does...
  6. Windows 10 boots only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 boots only in safe mode: I recently updated my laptop (HP ProBook 6470b) to windows 10. All went well , and I started to install the windows updates (just as everyone does) around a minute or so , the screen goes black. I can see the cursor , but nothing else. The windows also played some sounds. I...
  7. AlienWare laptop will only boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    AlienWare laptop will only boot into safe mode: Hey so basically I have an Alienware labtop and I was using it two days ago and I shut it down, if I remember correctly it updated, then it tried to reboot or something and an error popped up. Didn't think much about, the next day I turn it on the same error pops up and it...
  8. AlienWare labtop will only boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    AlienWare labtop will only boot into safe mode: Hey so basically I have an Alienware labtop and I was using it two days ago and I shut it down, if I remember correctly it updated, then it tried to reboot or something and an error popped up. Didn't think much about, the next day I turn it on the same error pops up and it...
  9. Pc only working properly in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc only working properly in safe mode: Don’t know what’s happened, but I installed trials of adobe apps and iobit uninstaller, since about this time, I am unable to.... -open task manager with Carl alt del -gpedit won’t open -several small programs won’t open unless I select run as admin but in safe mode...
  10. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...: Good Evening, I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were...