Windows 10: PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries?

Discus and support PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Holy Crap Re: This PC->Windows->Users->MYNAME->Searches->Everywhere 300kb but in excess of 384,000 + entries So recently I was dicking around in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phaedruspress, Jan 5, 2018.

1. PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries?

Holy Crap Re: This PC->Windows->Users->MYNAME->Searches->Everywhere 300kb but in excess of 384,000 + entries

So recently I was dicking around in the Users-> MYNAME folder changing the location of the docs and other folders when I looked in the SEARCHES->EVERYWHERE and INDEXED LOCATIONS and on my one month old notebook there were close to 400,000 entries some dating back years and years ago. If it matters I have indexing and file history turned off. I'm guessing that these are "virtual" (am I making that up?) entries since the folder is only 300KB. Even if the entries are virtual can I delete them all?? I just don't like having 400,000 entries hanging around if they are meaningless. TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, Jan 5, 2018

2. what about 5610 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i want to buy this phone any one know any thing about it

help me

darkfury2010, Jan 5, 2018
  3. what about 5610 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i think the s40 is a problem

what are ur opinion

darkfury2010, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries?

Bree, Jan 5, 2018
  5. They are not meaningless...

PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries? [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by Ronnie Vernon (MVP 1999 - Present, Windows Insider MVP)
    The files that appear in the Everywhere folder shows every file on the computer. This is simply a list of the files and not the actual, physical files.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-07890145ce85

Thanks for the link. Is that 2012 post still 100% relevant today 6 years later? Also from the post this piqued my interest:

"There is one caution that you need to be aware of.If you delete a folder/file from within a virtual folder, that action is reflected on the physical folder/file.
    You can delete the parent virtual folder (such as the Everywhere folder) and this will not affect the physical folders or files."

So if I understand that correctly if I go into the SEARCHES ->EVERYWHERE folder and delete the entry for example that says something like a 4GB ISO that I currently have in my downloads folder it will in fact physically delete that 4GB ISO from my downloads folder but if I delete the entire EVERYWHERE folder then the post seems to indicate that the physical 4GB ISO will remain in the downloads folder and will not be deleted. Am I reading that correctly? TIA.

6. Bree New Member
    Yes, it appears to be as relevant today as it was back then.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-1263ecdc99bc

If I'm not mistaken, the author of that article goes by the name @Try3 here.

Bree, Jan 5, 2018
  7. pyramid10 Win User
    @phaedruspress

Interesting thread!!!!

I never used Windows Search or Cortana directly. Any search I use is via XNView or Everything. So Searches\Everywhere is not a folder I would have visited.

Like the Energizer Bunny, File Explorer is still going, 4,000,000(!) and counting. The listed files and folders are from external drives and the primary drive.

I, too, have indexing off. It's possible when the drives were initially plugged in, indexing occurred until the individual drives were unchecked. But, there are files dated as recent as last month and this new year from the primary drive. And I don't recall ever searching for the file or file type at that time or since.

For all the hullabaloo about privacy and settings, those were tame compared to this Everywhere folder and its 'contents', considering the comments about the user's futility in clearing this folder. Edited to add: It's practically the Sears catalog of my entire system!

pyramid10, Jan 5, 2018
  8. PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries?

>Like the Energizer Bunny, File Explorer is still going, 4,000,000(!) and counting.

>It's practically the Sears catalog of my entire system!

I know, right! I couldn't believe the activity and the results myself.

I sure would like to get an answer or some guidance about deletion regarding what I wrote above:

>""There is one caution that you need to be aware of.If you delete a folder/file from within a virtual folder, that action is reflected on the physical folder/file.
    You can delete the parent virtual folder (such as the Everywhere folder) and this will not affect the physical folders or files."

So if I understand that correctly if I go into the SEARCHES ->EVERYWHERE folder and delete the entry for example that says something like a 4GB ISO that I currently have in my downloads folder it will in fact physically delete that 4GB ISO from my downloads folder but if I delete the entire EVERYWHERE folder then the post seems to indicate that the physical 4GB ISO will remain in the downloads folder and will not be deleted. Am I reading that correctly? TIA."

9. pyramid10 Win User
    I dove in from the deep end. I deleted the indexed location saved searches first. With indexing turned off, this had no impact.

Since Everywhere is also a saved searches folder, intrepid me deleted this folder also. After a yes/no prompt, this too was gone near instantaneously. That is, the four million-plus listings weren't methodically being deleted elsewhere on my system; just the folder of virtual links. Five minutes have passed and the two saved searches folders have not returned.

pyramid10, Jan 5, 2018
  10. >I dove in from the deep end.

"You're a "braver" man than I am" something something.

>I deleted the indexed location saved searches first.

Did you select the contents inside the folder or did you just delete the folder in one swell swoop

>this had no impact.

You mean no impact on your system, right?

>Five minutes have passed and the two saved searches folders have not returned.

Interesting. Have you re-booted or downloaded anything or searched for something on the computer to see if they have been recreated.

I wonder if as the article implies if you had gone ahead and went into the folder first and deleted an item you no longer needed and you knew where it's physical location was if as the article stated once you delete the entry the physical file would also be deleted. Maybe that is something I could try should I ever work up the nerve.

11. pyramid10 Win User
    After reading a few of my Ecosia search results about the Searches\Everywhere folder, I felt confident its contents were not to be touched from within. I was 75% certain that this saved searches folder can be deleted without negative consequences.

With four million-plus entries in the folder, it really didn't matter whether these entries were of the past or present. The folder had to go. It was figuratively a T-Rex footprint or a T-Rex tibia waiting to be found.

The indexed saved searches folder was an easy first guinea pig choice. There was literally no entry in said folder. And once the OS didn't object to a deletion of a saved searches folder, the Everywhere saved searches folder was quickly queued up.

I just did a search from my XNView. No saved searches folder was generated in the useraccount\searches folder. I don't think a reboot will have any effect, since the settings (indexing) should preclude generating such files.

I am still curious why the Everywhere folder kept aggregating when I don't even use Cortana or Windows Search; not to mention some of the entries were OS files that I wouldn't spend a nanosecond searching for: System Volume Information of various drives.

pyramid10, Jan 6, 2018
  12. pyramid10 Win User
    So, Windows Update finally got around to upgrading my 1607 to 1709.

Besides a few settings that needed to be tweaked again, my files were kept.

I'm posting because in the Searches folder, an Everywhere saved searches virtual folder was found. And, "Surprise, surprise!", it was the same virtual folder I had previously deleted in 1607. And the contents, from the brief glimpse I had where an unindexxed external drive's contents were listed, basically the same as the deleted one.

IOW, despite this user's intent to erase history, somehow the OS has kept the history logged and loaded, short of a clean install. The claim to respect user's privacy seems so hollow.

pyramid10, Jan 25, 2018
  13. PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries?

>So, Windows Update finally got around to upgrading my 1607 to 1709.

Wow, that seems like quite a jump:

Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) 1607 14393.2035 8/2/2016 Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) 1709 16299.201 10/17/2017
    Is that you windows version, LTSB? If so I wish I had that : ) My understanding is that version gives you the most control over your pc.

With Win 10 Pro I am on last spring's 1703 version and it seems I was able to delay going to 1709 for 365 days as they word it.

I never did end up deleting those two folders but truth be told I have not had the opportunity to spend as much time with the new machine as I have wanted to. Maybe an hour or so every two days. I think I will eventually get around to it since until you just reminded me I really do not like having those seemingly useless 400K files just sitting there even if they are just some kind of place holders.

So are you still brave enough with the "new" 1709 to once again delete those folders or are you going to let the dust settle a bit before diving back in to the deep end : )

phaedruspress, Jan 25, 2018
  14. pyramid10 Win User
    It may have been a coincidence, or the actual trigger, when Norton upgraded and I had then minor-updated 1607. After the upgrades, Windows Defender is running side by side or co-signed with Norton.

It would seem Windows would not upgrade until Norton was uninstalled or Norton was adjusted to co-sign with Windows Defender.

As for the Everywhere saved searches virtual folder, as soon as it began listing the first ten of the (probably) 4 million plus entries, I deleted it, again. For all I know, the undeletable data is residing somewhere in my system until the next OS upgrade.

pyramid10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries?

1. PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches->Everywhere 300kb but 400k Entries? - Similar Threads - PC>Windows>Users>ME>Searches >Everywhere 300kb

2. Why are there 164,841 items in user \dodge\searches\everywhere file folder in File...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are there 164,841 items in user \dodge\searches\everywhere file folder in File...: Why are there 178 items in user\dodge\searches\indexed locations file folder? Talk about storage problems. I have never saved anything to this searches file folder. Why are there 164,841 items in user \dodge\searches\everywhere file folder[BB1] ? I don’t even know what those...
  3. Why are there 164,841 items in user \dodge\searches\everywhere file folder in File...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are there 164,841 items in user \dodge\searches\everywhere file folder in File...: Why are there 178 items in user\dodge\searches\indexed locations file folder? Talk about storage problems. I have never saved anything to this searches file folder. Why are there 164,841 items in user \dodge\searches\everywhere file folder[BB1] ? I don’t even know what those...
  4. Search Bars and Passoword Entry

in Cortana
    Search Bars and Passoword Entry: For several months I have not been able to enter anything into any Windows Search bar - Task Bar, Settings etc. I have the same problem when I try to enter my Microsoft Account password from anywhere other than settings I think it only works because it is saved and doesn't...
  5. search box is not working everywhere

in Cortana
    search box is not working everywhere: I have updated latest version of windows yesterday and my search box is not at all working everywhere. I have troubleshooted it and run some powershell folders but nothing is working till now please help me...
  6. No option to save search entry?

in Cortana
    No option to save search entry?: Hope this is the right forum. It's a search question. New to Windows 10. Bottom left hand of screen is the search window that says Type Here to Search. When I enter what I want to search, and then click on what type of search I want, and then look at one of the results -...
  7. Searches>Everywhere.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searches>Everywhere.: I have just found this file. It is quite extensive and I don't understand its function. Should I delete it all periodically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searcheseverywhere/fff09f78-8817-4931-aa53-10dd34d2ba43"
  8. Searches Everywhere files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Searches Everywhere files: I recently discovered searches everywhere file over 200K. I need storage to download windows 10 and Office 365. Delete them or harmful? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/searches-everywhere-files/dab8e191-6bbd-4b2a-9765-54dee9159a01
  9. Replace Windows 10 Cortana Search with Windows 8.1 Everywhere Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace Windows 10 Cortana Search with Windows 8.1 Everywhere Search: In Windows 10, the Search app became Cortana and got its own tile and AppID, Microsoft.Cortana_8wekyb3d8bbwe. Windows 8.1 featured a standalone Search app which was capable of running even when UAC is disabled. The Search app in Windows 8.1 is located inside the file...
  10. No Search Everywhere Box

in Windows 10 Support
    No Search Everywhere Box: It is not there when I click on the Start Button, even if I enlarge the resultant display vertically. I see, for example a Most Used list, then a few other entries which end at "All Apps," with no search box below that. Does anyone have a spare Search Everywhere box to...