Windows 10: PC wont boot after clone

Discus and support PC wont boot after clone in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, So i cloned my hhd to ssd with EaseUS todo backup. When i rebooted i changed the 1st boot option to my ssd and got this message : reboot and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Arbo, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Arbo Win User

PC wont boot after clone

Hi,

So i cloned my hhd to ssd with EaseUS todo backup.
    When i rebooted i changed the 1st boot option to my ssd and got this message : reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.
    I went back to the bios and changed the settings back to how they were but i still get this message.
    Anybody knows how i can fix this?

Build:
    i7 4790k
    samsung 850 evo ssd 250gb SATA 3
    seagate 2tb sata 3
    Msi z97 pc mate
    kingston 16gb
    windows 10 pro 64 bit

:)

2. What happens if i change my hardware with windows 10 installed

ZigZag,

I tested disk cloning last night with ACRONIS on my home pc and Win 10 booted up just fine so am happy that if I upgrade to larger disk then windows wont cry out for prod key.

Again many thanks imk

LUMIA640PHONEFROMHELL, Oct 28, 2016
  3. sentrytv Win User
    Windows 10 SSD issues - Windows sees my WD Black hard drive as an SSD - wont defragment.

I cloned my Crucial 250 SSD to a WD Black 500 gig using Partition Commander 10.

This was a Windows 7 boot drive with plans to upgrade to Windows 10 after the cloning process.

Cloning Process went well using Partition Commander 10.

All was good in Windows 7 and I started the upgrade to Windows 10 which went well on the WD Black drive.

After all the updates and reboots, Windows defragment tool sees my WD Black drive as an SSD and wont defrag, there is no option for that drive.

I received the same results using Acronis 2015 as a cloning program.

HOW DO I CORRECT THIS?

(Another issue earlier was, after cloning from SSD to SSD, then upgrading Windows 10, the drive would "lock up", yet the OS was still working (almost no drive activity) yet keyboard and mouse was working.

sentrytv, Oct 28, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

PC wont boot after clone

I'm betting something got dorked up in the clone process which can happen if not done correctly. Check this link out....has some nice information on the "how to's" and "not to do's".
    To Clone or Image That is the Question

As far as your problem.....you may try some 3rd party partition fixer. If that doesn't work....looks like a clean install may be necessary.

How to repair Windows' master boot record and fix your bricked PC | PCWorld

FREE Rebuild MBR, repair MBR, fix MBR or MBR recovery with free EaseUS Partition Master

Plankton, Oct 28, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    After cloning, it's good practice to only have your system disk connected and disconnect all other drives. This forces Windows to recognise the correct boot drive. Then you can shut down, reconnect the drives and restart. It's also recommended to image your OS and restore it to the new drive rather than cloning it - but you need somewhere to store your disk image. I've used Macrium Reflect Free to do this with no problems.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PC wont boot after clone

1. PC wont boot after clone - Similar Threads - wont boot clone

2. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned image wont boot: Hi,so a lot of 'mea culpa's' here - i know I have done a few things wrong and really should have created a boot disk/recovery disk..... but i didn't.i used macrium reflect to create an image of my hard drive - then restored this image to a new drive .however i messed up and...
  3. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloned image wont boot: Hi,so a lot of 'mea culpa's' here - i know I have done a few things wrong and really should have created a boot disk/recovery disk..... but i didn't.i used macrium reflect to create an image of my hard drive - then restored this image to a new drive .however i messed up and...
  4. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Pc wont boot to bios after BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc wont boot to bios after BSOD: So had this build about 2 years and recently updated to Windows 11. Had blue screen error and now unable to boot the pc. Screen is off no signal no power to keyboard or mouse. Tried removing ram and resetting the CMOS jumper and battery. Tried using the integrated gpu but...
  6. cloned hard drive wont boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    cloned hard drive wont boot up: Hi all Can anyone help cloned a hard drive to a bigger drive but no matter what i try i cannot boot up i have a hp compaq elite 8300 183823
  7. PC wont boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC wont boot: your pc ran into trouble is the error i get when i try to boot up , so i got my widows drive formatted on another working pc and tried to do a clean win 10 installation from a bootable usb stick which i downloaded from microsoft mediacreation but as soon as the logo appears...
  8. PC wont boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC wont boot: My pc wont go into windows auto repair mode either, I tried restarting it 3 times, 5 times and even 8. When my keyboard is plugged in and I start I I'm stuck on BIOS loading screen. When my keyboard is not plucked in I come into the American Megatrends menu but I cant press...
  9. PC wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC wont boot: This morning my mouse buttons were not working properly so I uninstalled and reinstalled the software but made no difference. I then went to safe mode but it was still the same. Finally I done a system restore, but when it finished and restarted I had a much bigger problem....
  10. Pc wont boot wont BIOS after BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc wont boot wont BIOS after BSOD: Hi my pc is a win10 machine it seemed to break last night bios while trying to restore it as it was corrupt, bios and before that the startup had 2 PEs n I was trying to get Ted of disk genius PE to leave MACRIUMs PE, n said it was restoring BIOS from the backup GIGABYTE...