Windows 10: PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected

Discus and support PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So my HDD of almost two years seem to be acting...weird lately. I checked it out with CrystalDiskInfo, and it didn't look good. [img] I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Walpurgis, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Walpurgis Win User

PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected

So my HDD of almost two years seem to be acting...weird lately. I checked it out with CrystalDiskInfo, and it didn't look good.

PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected [​IMG]

I searched the internet on what that means, and it looks like it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I can't get a new one at the moment. But I do remember that I have an old HDD (320 GB) that I used to use. The one that I replaced for this new one (500 GB).

I plugged it in, and it works! So now I have two HDDs, but I decided to reinstall Windows 10 on the old one (320 GB) because it wasn't broken. So I wiped the new one (500 GB) and put everything in the old one (320 GB).

Now, I recently encountered a BSOD memory management error. I didn't know what it meant, but I thought the new HDD (500 GB) had something to do with it. So I disconnected it (but left it in the CPU), leaving only the old HDD (320 GB).

I thought, well the new HDD (500 GB) was basically empty, so if I disconnected it, nothing will happen, right? But when I booted it up, I got a Reboot and select proper boot device screen. I tried everything (reattaching stuff, selecting the HDD on startup), but the only thing that worked was reconnecting the new HDD (500 GB).

Can anyone help me out on this? Why does it still need the empty HDD when everything including Windows 10 is on another HDD?

:)

Walpurgis, Feb 25, 2018
  2. SVG_72 Win User

Opening settings via search zone

Thank you for your answer.

I did all the 4 commands but it doesn't help.

Even after reboot.

I have a SSD and a HDD together. If i disconnect the HDD, i don't have the problem.

If the SSD and HDD are connected, the problem happens unless the pc goes to hibernate and wake up, then the problem disappear... strange...

I checked the boot sequence with bcdedit and both the boot manager and boat loader are well on the SSD.

What did i miss ?

SVG_72, Feb 25, 2018
  3. RFsmith7 Win User
    "Inaccessible Boot Device" after clean install, Windows 10 AU

My PC has a dedicated 60 Gb Sandisk SSD for the OS, plus a pair of Seagate 500 Gb HDDs. It's running W10 at 1511 level.

I have tried to update to 1607 level using clean install. However, the final boot in this process fails with "inaccessible boot device" and no automatic repair fixes it. I have to disconnect both HDDs for the SSD to boot successfully.

So I tried a different test. Using a spare 250 Gb HDD, and no other drives connected, I performed a clean install on to this drive. This was fully successful, but when I shut down, plugged in the SSD, rebooted from the HDD the error returned.

It seems I can't boot from the SSD with any HDD connected, and likewise the HDD won't boot with the SSD plugged in.

At the moment I have restored the SSD from the 1511 system image I took at the start, and this boots with the HDDs connected without any problem.

The PC motherboard is a Gigabyte EG41MFT-US2H, with Intel 6700 processor and 4 Gb of memory.

Can anyone advise what the issue is?

RFsmith7, Feb 25, 2018
  4. PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected

Please post a screenshot of your Disk Management with both drives connected. I suspect that Windows put the boot files on the "empty" drive.

PolarNettles, Feb 25, 2018
  5. Walpurgis Win User

So apparently it does show the EFI System Partition on the "empty" HDD. Is that the culprit?

Walpurgis, Feb 25, 2018
  6. Yes. You can try the steps at Moving / recreating EFI partition - Windows 10 Forums to put the EFI partition on your Windows drive. Or you can just disconnect the 500GB drive and do another clean install.

Did you happen to have the 500GB drive plugged in a lower SATA port number than the 320GB (e.g. the 500GB was in SATA-0 and the 320GB was in SATA-1) when you installed Windows?

PolarNettles, Feb 25, 2018
  7. Walpurgis Win User
    Alright, thanks! I'll follow up when I've done this.

I guess. I haven't been paying attention to which SATA port they are plugged into, but I think I have the 500 GB plugged in on SATA-3 and the 320 GB on the SATA-4.

Does Windows install the EFI Partition on the first HDD it sees by SATA port number order?

Walpurgis, Feb 26, 2018
  8. PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected

I haven't found it documented anywhere but from experimentation it does seem like Windows Setup always puts the boot files on the first drive it sees regardless of where you're actually installing Windows.

PolarNettles, Feb 26, 2018
  9. Steve C Win User
    Do you have active partitions on both disks? Set the partition of the disk you don't want to boot from to inactive if so and see if the system now works with the disk removed. Please backup first.

Steve C, Feb 26, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    That disk is not in good shape at all and your Disk management shows mixed BOOT partitions probably a result of installing windows while both disks were connected.

CountMike, Feb 26, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    1) Please re-post the image of disk management using the information in this link (widen each column status and volume)
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 Tutorials
    2) Download and install the Minitool partition wizard > post an image into the thread
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    3) Run Sea tools for windows on your drive using SMART, short and long generic tests:

How to use SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-win-master/
    How to use SeaTools for Windows
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Take Screenshot in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

4) Run the beta log collector using extract and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

5) Run HD Tune:
    HD Tune website
    Post an image in to the thread for the results of each of these tabs:
    a) Health (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan

zbook, Feb 26, 2018
  12. Walpurgis Win User
    Yes, they're both active. But based on what PolarNettles said with the EFI System Partition on Disk 1, I don't think it's a good idea to make it inactive.

What do you mean by mixed Boot partitions?

Disk 0 - SMART - PASS; Short Generic - PASS; Long Generic - FAIL
    Disk 1 - SMART - PASS; Short Generic - PASS; Long Generic - FAIL

Disk 0 Benchmark - Always giving a read error

Disk 0 Health

Disk 0 Error Scan

Disk 1 Benchmark

Disk 1 Health

Disk 1 Error Scan

Walpurgis, Feb 27, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

Your Windows (C: partition) is on one disk and BOOT and EFI partitions are one another. Effectively, you are booting from disk 1 and running Widows of Disk 0. That's pretty mixed up if you ask me.

CountMike, Feb 27, 2018
  14. zbook New Member
    Backup all important files on both drives to another drive.
    Attempt to make a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    If you can make a backup image that will be the easiest method to save and move files.
    Unfortunately Macrium could display error codes preventing the backup.
    If you can use a backup image or backup all files then you can run the drives until they are dead.
    Performance will likely suffer.
    If you are able to it would be best to replace the drives at your earliest convenience.

zbook, Feb 27, 2018
  15. Walpurgis Win User
    Yeah, I guess I'll make sure only one HDD is connected when I reinstall Windows.

Okay, I can't do this at the moment, but I will do so the earliest I can.

I guess from what I learned from this thread:

• My hard drives are dying, and should be replaced
    • I should only have one HDD connected when reinstalling Windows. So everything will only be installed there.
    I'll take action based on your replies when I get to do so. Thanks everyone for the help! I really appreciate it!

Walpurgis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected - Similar Threads - won't boot unless

2. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  3. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  4. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer won't freezers unless connected to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer won't freezers unless connected to the internet: At the beginning of the year we lost internet when I tried turning on my computer It froze everytime. Until I tried using my phone as a hotspot. It worked fine, What could be causing the computer to only work while connected to the internet.I downloaded a thing off the...
  6. Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected: This is a follow up to problems that i was experienced in this post. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lmsr44/is_there_any_way_to_fix_this_reboot_and_select/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf I was able to get the problem fixed, but now it is...
  7. Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during: I've had this issue for well over a year now and since then I've factory reset a few times and even switched from a 5-year-old hard drive to an nvme, completely lost on what to do. On the off chance it does boot on the first try it will crash with a seemingly random error...
  8. Display not connecting unless Pc rebooted.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display not connecting unless Pc rebooted.: I am swapping my second screen between a laptop and a pc. When I plug the screen back into the turned-on PC the input doesn't recognise its plugged in. I either have to reboot the PC or disable and re-enable to video driver from computer management. I am changing input...
  9. won't boot with external hdd plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    won't boot with external hdd plugged in: My Dell insiron desktop will not boot when I have my usb external hdd plugged in. When I was on Win7, this wasn't a problem because I would unplug it when restarting after doing Windows updates. Now that Win10 pro 64 automatically updates and restarts my computer on its own,...
  10. Windows won't start unless hard boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't start unless hard boot: I recently developed a problem where my system won't start unless I hard boot my laptop. If I shut it down normally and then turn it on, it only displays a black screen with the cursor and freezes. If I hard boot it and then start it up it runs normally. If I restart...