Windows 10: PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive

Discus and support PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi guys, I'm trying to remove an old secondary drive which is making an annoying noise but when I do my pc wont boot. It just has a black screen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Freddy1013, Apr 8, 2017.

1. PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to remove an old secondary drive which is making an annoying noise but when I do my pc wont boot. It just has a black screen and nothing happens. I think the problem might have come from when I installed ages ago and kept both drives in. How can I change it so it boots from my main drive? Any help is much appreciated.

:)

Freddy1013, Apr 8, 2017
  2. TerryG537 Win User

this Windows 10 Anniversary update taking 12+ hours to install and counting. HELP

Had the same trouble here...the update fails to load windows on the 2nd boot phase of the update. You end up with a black screen and the caterpillar going round and round but windows never boots. If you have any secondary Hard drives connected to your
    PC external or internal, remove or disconnect them to do the update. I have an IDE drive as main drive and SATA as a secondary internal plus a 3rd drive external. I disconnected all but the C\: drive did the update and it worked. Hope this helps.

TerryG537, Apr 8, 2017
  3. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Hi,

Usually this error message occurs if in the BIOS, booting is set as to start from CD Rom or floppy drive as first boot device. Where as you are trying to boot from the Hard disk.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

• Check updating your Motherboard BIOS.
    • Make sure your hard disk drive is set as Master.
    The master (primary) hard drive is the main bootable drive plugged directly into the IDE cable from the computer's motherboard. When you start your computer, the motherboard will primarily address the master hard drive to set the computer in motion.
    The slave (secondary) drive will operate as an auxiliary storage drive. A slave (secondary) hard drive needs no jumper settings. When a slave drive is installed, the master drive (the primary drive) must have a designated configuration to
    tell the computer which drive is the primary boot drive.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Apr 8, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive

Plankton, Apr 8, 2017
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi Freddy1013 and welcome to the forums. You might have installed Win10 and the boot files ended up on the second HDD. Take a look at post #3 from this thread Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive - Solved - Windows 10 Forums. It should fix your problem. I did the same thing a while back.
    Bob

SoFine409, Apr 8, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Agreed. Conventional wisdom suggests unplugging all drives except the ODD/Optical Disk Drive and the C: or intended boot/system drive before installing an OS/Operating System just to prevent such a situation happening. Frequently doing Win10 Upgrades, such as from Version 1511 to Version 1607, can be an issue with External USB drives plugged in at the time.

Berton, Apr 8, 2017
  7. Thank you! Once I figured how to get into bios that worked perfectly. If I'd know it was so simple I would have done it ages ago. The hard drive noise was making me go nuts. Thanks again!

Freddy1013, Apr 8, 2017
  8. SoFine409 Win User

Your welcome. Glad you got it resolved.
    Bob

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive - Similar Threads - wont boot remove

2. My m.2 won't boot after removing a secondary internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My m.2 won't boot after removing a secondary internal hard drive: I have an old Hdd that contained my photos videos games videos Ets...And i had An m.2 Ssd that i Had installed windows OS on it. it was working fine until I removed that secondary hard drive my pc won't boot so i got into the bios and checked if the m.2 is still the #1 on the...
  3. My m.2 won't boot after removing a secondary internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My m.2 won't boot after removing a secondary internal hard drive: I have an old Hdd that contained my photos videos games videos Ets...And i had An m.2 Ssd that i Had installed windows OS on it. it was working fine until I removed that secondary hard drive my pc won't boot so i got into the bios and checked if the m.2 is still the #1 on the...
  4. My m.2 won't boot after removing a secondary internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Want to remove extra hard drive but pc wont boot without it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Want to remove extra hard drive but pc wont boot without it: I have an nvme boot drive and a hard drive for storage. I want to change the hard drive to a larger ssd for more/faster storage. I as far as I can tell, I moved/deleted everything off of the hardrive except for a folder named windowsapps that i cannot access, so i just copied...
  6. Want to remove extra hard drive but pc wont boot without it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to remove extra hard drive but pc wont boot without it: I have an nvme boot drive and a hard drive for storage. I want to change the hard drive to a larger ssd for more/faster storage. I as far as I can tell, I moved/deleted everything off of the hardrive except for a folder named windowsapps that i cannot access, so i just copied...
  7. Want to remove extra hard drive but pc wont boot without it

8. accident with secondary hard drive

accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  9. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  10. External Hard Drive wont boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive wont boot: Hi, I have a WD 2TB HDD1021 external drive and when I connect to my Windows 10 PC I get what looks like the partition in the drive ( 31 GB)which shows the following files; Bootmgr.efi bootmgr setup.exe autorun.inf boot efi sources support All my back-up files are not showing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc wont boot when i remove second hard drive