Windows 10: PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

Discus and support PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, First of all, I would really appreciate any help from you guys since this problem is frustrating me for a long time. Before I begin I just felt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AbdellahASKI, Sep 30, 2017.

1. PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

Hi,
    First of all, I would really appreciate any help from you guys since this problem is frustrating me for a long time.

Before I begin I just felt like I should apologize for the long post I just wanted to explain more
    So I thought it would be better to classify the detailed info into Quotes.

• My Problem in short:
    My problem is that My PC won't shut down or go to sleep or hibernate after It was ON for a random time( 10min+) it can just reboot and after any reboot or any boot (after I forced the shutdown) just after it I can turn off, sleep hibernate without any problem.

• My PC History and what I did to it before having this problem:
    • Detailed Explanation of the problem:
    • What I tried:
    • My PC specs:
    :)

AbdellahASKI, Sep 30, 2017

2. PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

Thanks, Yes I was able to perform it with success result:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Abdellah ASKI, Sep 30, 2017
  3. PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

Yes, I still.

Abdellah ASKI, Sep 30, 2017
  4. PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

Can you shutdown computer from Safe Mode?

Please open the Command Prompt by clicking Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, and open it as an administrator. In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 simply hold down the
    PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot [​IMG]
    + X keys and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

Execute following command to shutdown your computer.

Code: Shutdown /s /t 0[/quote] Please report back with the results.

FreeBooter, Oct 1, 2017
  5. Please report back with the results.[/quote] Thank you ​FreeBooter for your reply.

I just tried the "Shutdown /s /t 0" command but same thing happened exactly I waited for about 6 min it still ON, black screen, power lights ON, fan/HDD still ON

AbdellahASKI, Oct 1, 2017
  6. Please execute the batch script attached to this post and see it will resolve the issue.

AutoEndTasks.bat

FreeBooter, Oct 1, 2017
  7. Thanks Again but still the same, I executed the script as admin didn't help. Besides, I don't think that it's related to a process that prevents the PC from shutting down because it happens also with the sleep mode

8. PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

Lets found out if problem result of wrong hardware configuration within BIOS boot your computer with Live Knoppix CD and try shutdown your computer and let us know the result please.

FreeBooter, Oct 1, 2017
  9. I'll try it all along with other OSs to see if it happens only on Windows 10 and I'll get back to you with the result asap

10. Sorry about the delay I just wanted to make sure about the results since the problem happens after a random time while the computer is used.
    Well I think that it's a Windows 10 issue, I installed Windows 8.1 on a second partition I used it for a while tested multiple times, installed all the Windows/drivers Updates, retested again and it's working as it's supposed It can go to sleep shutdown normally.

I tested the Live Knoppix first I also was able to shut down from it normally, but I just needed to make sure using another Windows Version.

Well since we know now that it's most likely a Windows 10 issue do you have any idea what should I do?

Thanks for your help.

AbdellahASKI, Oct 2, 2017
  11. I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning: Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivirus disabled until the process is ended. For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Win + R keys to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box. This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1) Click/tap on the General tab.

(2) Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3) Remove the check mark in the Load startup items check box.

[img=[URL]https://i.imgur.com/0JgaJnG.png[/URL]]

4. Click on the Services tab.

5. Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6. Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

[img=[URL]https://i.imgur.com/yIKrmLs.png[/URL]]

7. Click on Apply then OK

[img=[URL]https://i.imgur.com/ljHR4ZW.png[/URL]]

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8. Divide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9. If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and restart the computer.

10. When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.

11. The half which has the service causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service. Restart the computer.

12. If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the services.

13. Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic. Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

FreeBooter, Oct 2, 2017
  12. Thank Well I did what you told me exactly I disabled all services, rebooted, I start using just Microsoft Edge for about 30 min but it still happening again as before
    So It's not a 3rd party service that causing the problem I think .

13. PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

How about startup programs?
    Would you like to repair install Windows 10 you will not lose your personal files, settings and installed programs.

FreeBooter, Oct 2, 2017
  14. About the startup programs I have only two :

about the second solution, I think It's not worth it since I just reformatted with a new clean install of Windows 10 and I'm not worried about my files they are all backed up previously.

15. I would like you to check the system integrity of your Windows OS installation.

• Please type cmd.exe into Start Menu search box.[/*]
    • Please right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator".[/*]
    • Please type the following command and press the <Enter> key: sfc /scannow (Please note that there is a space between 'sfc" and "/scannow".)[/*]
    • It should take about 20 minutes to run, if there are no serious errors.[/*]
    • If the System File Checker reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain; please reboot your computer and run the System File Checker from an Administrator Command Prompt, again.[/*]
    • If the System File Checker again reports that some errors were fixed, but some remain, please reboot your computer and run it a third time.[/*]
    • If "Resource Integrity Violations" (errors) are reported that could not be corrected, or were not corrected after a third SFC run, then please navigate to the folder: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and copy the file "cbs.log" to your desktop immediately. I am asking you do that because that file is dynamic, so I want to be able to examine a copy that is unchanged from the time that the System File Checker was run.[/*]
    • If there are errors that couldn't be corrected, let me know and I will provide you with instructions as to how to upload the file[/*]

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left. Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Add Reply button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Send below the Reply box.

FreeBooter, Oct 2, 2017
Thema:

PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot

1. PC won't Shutdown or Sleep (black screen) but can Reboot - Similar Threads - won't Shutdown Sleep

2. PC rebooting randomly. Screen freezes and then goes black with a reboot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC rebooting randomly. Screen freezes and then goes black with a reboot.: Here is 2 event logs- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" /> <EventID>41</EventID> <Version>8</Version> <Level>1</Level>...
  3. PC rebooting randomly. Screen freezes and then goes black with a reboot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC rebooting randomly. Screen freezes and then goes black with a reboot.: Here is 2 event logs- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" /> <EventID>41</EventID> <Version>8</Version> <Level>1</Level>...
  4. PC wont shutdown or sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC wont shutdown or sleep: After I reinstalled windows it wont shutdown or sleep, only monitor turns off but power supply and everything else remains on and I have to shut it down by holding power button. I updated my drivers and windows and tried to disable fast startup but that doesnt work.I ran...
  5. PC Won't shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Won't shutdown: Hello, so i use ethernet cable to acces internet but sometimes i need to switch to 4G when internet is slow or has issues so i have to go through my phone.I can't do it with hotspot so i have to do it with the USB cable since i don't have wireless card , once i plug it into a...
  6. PC Won't shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Won't shutdown: Hello, so i use ethernet cable to acces internet but sometimes i need to switch to 4G when internet is slow or has issues so i have to go through my phone.I can't do it with hotspot so i have to do it with the USB cable since i don't have wireless card , once i plug it into a...
  7. PC Won't shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Black screen on reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen on reboot: I worked normally on my PC this morning, then turned it off during the 1 hour train ride to work, where I tried to turn it on again. The Only responde I got was a Black screen requesting a password. I have tried every option I can think of, to no result. Can anyone help?...
  9. Windows 10 won't go to sleep - black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't go to sleep - black screen: Whenever I close my laptop lid to put Windows 10 to sleep, it won't turn off properly - the computer continues to run, as indicated by the power button and the three lights on the side of the laptop, but I'm stuck on a black screen and the only way to get out of it is holding...
  10. Computer won't shutdown or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't shutdown or sleep.: I have installed W10 twice using the update feature. Everything work fine except when I want to shutdown or put the machine to sleep by clicking on those options, the machine makes noise like the HD is working. It then just shuts down and reboots again. The only way I can...