Windows 10: PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons.

Discus and support PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; All of my PDF files have had their icons changed to Chrome icons. The files no longer open with Acrobat Reader....they now open through the Chrome... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Pilotjim77, Feb 8, 2017.

1. PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons.

All of my PDF files have had their icons changed to Chrome icons. The files no longer open with Acrobat Reader....they now open through the Chrome browser. I'm not sure what caused this. The only thing I can think of is that my girlfriend was on my computer renaming a PDF when I noticed a popup that asked something about file extension or destination. I tried to tell her not to hit the "yes" button, but I was too late. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. Can anyone help me to get the icons changed back to PDF icons?

:)

Pilotjim77, Feb 8, 2017
  2. TobyV Win User

File icons don't match program

I recently had occasion to uninstall Google Chrome, using Revo Uninstaller, and run a bunch of cleaner type programs, to try to get rid of an issue I was facing with said browser (not malware related AFAIK).

Afterwards I reinstalled Chrome and set it as the default for all file types and protocols that it can open, using the Set Default Program item under Default Programs in the Control panel (because the Windows 10 Settings app's "Choose default applications"
    things doesn't appear to actually do anything most of the time). I noticed that this had associated the .PDF file type with Chrome.

I use PDF-XChange viewer to read PDFs so I tried to change this following the same method. This worked correctly in that the files now open with the correct viewer, but the icons used for that file type is still marked as opening with Chrome! I notice that
    if I look at the .pdf. item under the Set Associations item also under Default Programs in the Control panel, that while the Current Default is listed as PDF-XChange Viewer, the description is still listed as Chrome HTML Document. Also, in Windows Explorer
    the Type details column lists Chrome HTML Document for PDF files. The correct icons do show in one single place that I have noticed, that being the open file dialog box (launched from any program, including Chrome!).

Obviously something that should be getting set here isn't. How can I fix this? I have tried restarting the PC to no effect.

Many thanks.

The image below shows a PDF on the desktop (to the left) that shows a preview thumbnail of the PDF but incorrectly shows it as opening with Chrome. It also shows a PDF file without preview in the Windows Explorer window that shows as a Chrome file type icon
    and Chrome HTML Document in the Type column. To the bottom there is the Set Associations panel showing that the default program has indeed been set to PDFX-Change Viewer, but that the Description and icon are still set to Chrome.

PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons. [​IMG]

NOTE: this does appear to be a windows problem rather than a Chrome problem as I just tried using the "Open with.." option to change the default to MS Edge, which worked correctly - everything changed over to Edge. But using the same method to chenge to
    the viewer resulted in the same as outlined above, but with Edge instead of Chrome.

TobyV, Feb 8, 2017
  3. Zeso Win User
    Unable to access print icon in File explorer in windows 10

In Windows 10, File explorer, under the share tab, the print icon, burn to disk,and email icon are all greyed out for pdf files. From looking at other posts, I have checked that the printer spool is running and have used both edge and chrome as my default
    pdf viewer. I can access print options when I open a pdf in chrome and it will print fine, but I am actually trying to use the print to pdf function in file explorer to merge multiple pdf files. No matter what type of file I highlight, the print icon is greyed
    out. Thanks

Zeso, Feb 8, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons.

Hello Jim, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like your girlfriend accidentally changed the default app for .pdf files to Chrome.

You can use an option in the tutorial below to set Adobe Reader as the default app to open .pdf files again though.

Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10

Brink, Feb 8, 2017
  5. Thank you so much for that link! I will check it out!

Pilotjim77, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons.

1. PDF icons are all changed to Chrome browser icons. - Similar Threads - PDF icons are

2. Change PDF icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change PDF icon: Hello, I want to change my pdf icons from the app that I use to open it to another icon, can this be possible in windows 11?Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-pdf-icon/c2f97cf2-fedb-4673-88aa-94d313abc9ce
  3. Change PDF icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change PDF icon: Hello, I want to change my pdf icons from the app that I use to open it to another icon, can this be possible in windows 11?Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-pdf-icon/c2f97cf2-fedb-4673-88aa-94d313abc9ce
  4. PDF icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF icons: All my PDF icons turned into a white rectangles. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-icons/dcfef72b-be7c-4bc8-b8f5-f070e2e14225
  5. PDF icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF icons: All my PDF icons turned into a white rectangles. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-icons/dcfef72b-be7c-4bc8-b8f5-f070e2e14225
  6. PDF icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PDF File Icon- Change Icon and Pin to Start

PDF File Icon- Change Icon and Pin to Start: I have a PDF file on my desktop of the manual/ user guide of my laptop. How can i change the icon from the pdf icon to the manufacturer's icon which I have already downloaded and then how to pin this to my start menu? Thanks....
  8. How to Change PDF file icon to another icon

How to Change PDF file icon to another icon: I have a Lenovo Ideapad S340 Laptop running Windows 10 and Microsoft programs. I downloaded the Lenovo User Guide for the S340. The icon for the user guide is PDF. I want to change this icon from PDF to Lenovo. I found the Lenovo icon in ico form and downloaded it to my...
  9. Change All Existing Default Browser Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change All Existing Default Browser Icons: I use Chrome as my default browser but all existing Internet shortcut icons do not show the default icon. I have set Chrome as my default browser and have set .url's to open with Internet Browser (if set to chrome.exe you don't get a web page, you get text but you do get all...
  10. Latest 10 update changed pdf icons to Edge PDF icons

in Browsers and Email
    Latest 10 update changed pdf icons to Edge PDF icons: [img] Whats the deal? How do I get back the adobe pdfs? Currently the pdfs open in the edge browser only. Very annoying. 31514

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pdf icon changed to chrome

2. pdf icons changed to Chrome icons

3. how to fix pdf icons turned to chrome

4. pdf icon changed,
  5. how to chenge logo of html browser,
  6. Why did my PDF icons change to Google Chrome,
  7. why do all my pdfs look like chrome?,
  8. outlook padf erscheint mit chrome icon,
  9. pdf symbol changed,
  10. why do my pdf files show the chrome icon ,
  11. all my pdf files changed to chrome,