Windows 10: Peer to peer problems

Discus and support Peer to peer problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 4 computers 3 laptops (T61, P50, Dell) Win10 Pro 1 desktop Win7 I followed Brink's tutorial 'Change Workgroup in Windows 10'. One of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by markg2, Aug 4, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

Peer to peer problems

4 computers
    3 laptops (T61, P50, Dell) Win10 Pro
    1 desktop Win7

I followed Brink's tutorial 'Change Workgroup in Windows 10'. One of the computer's (desktop) still belonged to the previous workgroup--MSHOME.

I created a new workgroup on all 4--GREENGROUP.

Problems:
    1. The T61, doesn't see anyone—others can all see the name only of the T61. If I click on the T61 from the P50 (for example) I get the following attached errors (network error). The T61 is connected to the router by Ethernet and the connection to the network on the T61 is confirmed. I have given all rights to everyone on the T61’s C drive?

2. Despite giving all read/write permissions on drive C for the machines, Users only display Default and Public (or Migrated something), not the actual user. If I open the user of the machine on the machine it’s not shared even though I’ve confirmed that the entire drive is shared with all rights). However, if I then give the user all rights I get an error (attached). The user will then appear on another machine but click on it from another machine and you get another error? The exception to the preceding is viewing the desktop from the Dell or P50?

(Fact: I can see and open all files on the desktop machine from the P50 and the Dell (obviously not the T61)). The reverse is not true.

As an aside, I cannot even get Homegroup to see each other. I get an error after inserting another machine’s key. I’m not providing further details here—no need in further complicating.

Mark

:)

markg2, Aug 4, 2017

2. wifi peer to peer

Windows phone should have WiFi peer to peer feature, so people can share files over WiFi with out any issue. in the other hand there the existing apps which share files over WiFi doesn't have a handsome GUI also lack in performance. Microsoft
    with out building features like hello and continuum should on concentrate on this basic features which people need.

Why we have to turn on mobile data before switching on our hotspot ?? Why can't this company keep things simple....

subhenduMondal, Aug 4, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Peer to peer problems

Have you set up shares setting everyone with rights is asking for trouble as any malware can spread unhindered. trying to share c you will run into problems as even if your on the pc as admin a lot of folders you dont have rights to often drives are shared as a hidden admin share ie $mark. Can you ping pcs by name and ip?

Samuria, Aug 4, 2017
  5. markg2 Win User
    A lot of moving pieces here. Right now I'm focusing on connecting the P50 to the T61 since the T61 is the worst case.

'Radios' front manual switch is 'on' (allows for WiFi but Ethernet connected will override)
    Ethernet unplugged: WiFi "can’t connect to this network"Ethernet plugged: "Network connected"
    The following is with radios on/Ethernet plugged in.

C:\Users\mark>ping 192.168.0.10
    Pinging 192.168.0.10 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.0.10: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=127

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms
    I used Advanced IP Scanner to locate the T61's IP address. I'm attaching a screenshot of its scan. I'm sure the utility has helpful abilities that I'm not aware of. The other 3 machines have horizontal carrots and clicking drops down what can be seen (e.g. desktop, c:, etc.). The T61 (192.168.1.10) has no carrot.

Make any sense?

markg2, Aug 5, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Aug 5, 2017
  7. markg2 Win User
    Netgear Nighthawk router + Netgear DST extender

While I waiting on the scan I ran the Win10 network troubleshooter on the T61 (attached).

NetBScan attached.

EDIT: I don't know if this has bearing but if I pull the Ethernet, WiFi doesn't connect. The WiFi network shows 'secured', click on same, manually force to connect, times out back to secured.

I opened Wi-Fi properties and 1 of the items used for connection is not checked off, MS Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol.

Control panel, network connections shows the machine 'attempting to authenticate'.

markg2, Aug 5, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Peer to peer problems

Hey markg2,
    MS Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol is not normally used (unchecked).

On the T61 .... run the following command and post results.

Open Command Prompt as Admin
    ipconfig /all

Eagle51, Aug 5, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    BTW ... It's not a good idea to have to 2 computers with the same name (CONNIE-THINK), on the same network. Can cause a conflict, which I think is what your seeing in that troubleshooting report.

Eagle51, Aug 5, 2017
  10. markg2 Win User
    But there are not two machines with that name. The only machine is her desktop. I guess the real question is how can 1 computer, Lenovo, have 2 different, connected adapters?

Also, apart from the T61 still not appearing, my P50 is not appearing on this scan (it does appear on the Advanced IP Scanner result that I posted).

Per your request for ipconfig/all
    config.txt

markg2, Aug 5, 2017
  11. Eagle51 Win User
    I think you need to go thru your router and verify that everything is set up correctly (using a wired connection). Make sure you check if Access Control List has been enabled and if so ... ALL your MAC address are listed, if not then add them or turn Access Control List OFF. If everything is setup correctly you should see a WifI connections available with your SSID (ex. NETGEAR87) and SSID_EXT (ex. NETGEAR87_EXT) for that DST extender (if your using it and i'm assuming your are)

I'm guessing this is why the ipconfig /all for the T61 shows both (wired/wireless) as disconnected. See Above ^^

If both adapters (wired/wireless) are enabled and you have an ethernet cable plugged in, since your using DHCP it possible both are getting picked up. If this is not the case, then I don't know.

Eagle51, Aug 5, 2017
  12. markg2 Win User
    I checked the Access Control List (attached). As you can see the same was already disabled. I expanded ' View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network'--no devices appeared. I expanded 'View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network'--no devices appeared.

The T61 correctly does not appear on the list since the WiFi is off.

I turned off the desktop (Connie-THINK) WiFi connection to the router and DST yet the 2 entries still appear as does the P50. I'm fairly certain that is because the machines also connect wireless to the HP printer.

I then checked Connected Devices. I edited the IP address of the T61 (.10) adding the name that was previously blank. Upon refresh there are 5 IP addresses for the T61 including .10 (.6, .8, .11 and .12).

I know next to nothing about this stuff but would think having 5 different IP address in the router for the same device might cause some confusion? However, I'm not sure what I can do about it. When you select a device from the list and click Edit, the only change opportunity you have is the device name.

The firmware is due for an update and although I will do so shortly I doubt very much that has anything to do with the T61 providing multiple IP addresses (plus I updated the firmware ~a month ago).

I think I've answered all your points?

EDIT: It just dawned on me. Ipconfig or ipconfig /all issued from the T61 ONLY has 1 address and that's .10. So how can the router be showing 5 addresses?

EDIT2: Router update no difference.

Mark

markg2, Aug 5, 2017
  13. markg2 Win User

Peer to peer problems

The T61 was replaced by the P50. During attempts to flash Middleton's BIOS (to support SSD SATAII) +fan and memory--I have disabled the Security Chip in the BIOS and left it so. I just tried enabling the chip with very interesting results that make less sense than before.

I will attach backup to the following:

IP config on the T61 is: IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10

IP Scan still shows 5 IP addresses but now one of them, .10, has a dropdown that indicates HTTP

What is REALLY weird is that the router attached devices now only shows 1 T61 but it's not .10, it's .6!?

ipconfig.txt
    Peer to peer problems [​IMG]

Peer to peer problems [​IMG]

markg2, Aug 5, 2017
  14. Eagle51 Win User
    Yes, you answered everything *Smile

The issue with the T61 according to the last ipconfig.txt you posted ... the 0 it should be a 1
    Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-6B-36-44-CB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::35ab:9bf5:4dde:4914%7(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 6, 2017 10:32:01 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 7, 2017 10:31:59 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 50338411
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-06-96-4E-00-1A-6B-36-44-CB
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

On the T61 do the following ... Open Command Prompt as Admin
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    netsh winsock reset
    reboot pc

Eagle51, Aug 5, 2017
  15. Samuria Win User
    The nbscan shows there is no Master browser so that will be part of the problem if one of is getting the wrong IP range from DHCP you must have two DHCP servers running I assume it's the extender it means any PC could get the wrong IP. Is NetBIOS running on all PC as that's needed for Master browser

Samuria, Aug 5, 2017
Thema:

Peer to peer problems

1. Peer to peer problems - Similar Threads - Peer peer problems

2. Mapping a network drive peer to peer - guide

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping a network drive peer to peer - guide: I have a small home office with a couple of Windows PC's and in the process of updating one of the machines.I am running an split access database and sharing the data file between the two computers.in the past, mapping a network drive has been fairly straightforward, as long...
  3. Peer to Peer Network issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Peer to Peer Network issue: I have added a Windows 10 computer to a network where the other two computers are currently legacy Win 7 machines. Having done all of the normal things put machine in same workgroup, enabled network discovery, disabled IPv6, shared the C drive I am now at the situation where...
  4. Peer to Peer Network issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Peer to Peer Network issue: I have added a Windows 10 computer to a network where the other two computers are currently legacy Win 7 machines. Having done all of the normal things put machine in same workgroup, enabled network discovery, disabled IPv6, shared the C drive I am now at the situation where...
  5. Peer to Peer Network issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Peer to peer network application sharing

Peer to peer network application sharing: Is it possible with a peer to peer network to share an application that allows more than one user. The operating system is windows 10may upgrade to windows10 pro, application is a network version of past perfect, a museum software. Thanks...
  7. Peer-to-peer networking in Windows 10

Peer-to-peer networking in Windows 10: When is it expected to be possible, if ever? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/peer-to-peer-networking-in-windows-10/d477916b-2235-437c-aa37-b4e1b5f256fe
  8. Peer to Peer Connection in home network.

Peer to Peer Connection in home network.: Hi Everyone !, I have a Golf Game, (Jack Nicklaus 6) and I want to play accross my network which consists of a desktop connected to the modem by hard wire and a laptop connected to the modem by WiFi. To connect in the game I need the IP address of the computer hosting the...
  9. lost peer 2 peer server conncection

lost peer 2 peer server conncection: We have lost our peer to peer connection to our Window's 10 server machine from our Windows 10 office machines. We have a Windows 7 pro machine which can access the Windows 10 server machine with shared drives but the Windows 10 machines cannot. Help!!...
  10. Windows 10 Peer to Peer Network

Windows 10 Peer to Peer Network: I am working on a friends network, there are 4 computers on the network, 3 running Windows 10 and one running Windows 7. The main computer (Office) has a HomeGroup setup on it, and the other computers have been joined to that homegroup. "Office" also has a folder shared out,...