Windows 10: Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD

Discus and support Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have C: for OS, D: for my documents. I use for game dev, mostly using Phoshop, Unity Which one of the follow options have better... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by holahapi, Aug 29, 2016.

1. holahapi Win User

Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD

I have
    C: for OS,
    D: for my documents.

I use for game dev, mostly using Phoshop, Unity

Which one of the follow options have better performance?
    2 HDD (1 for OS, 1 for documents)
    1 HDD 2 Partitions (1 for OS, 1 for documents)

:)

holahapi, Aug 29, 2016
  2. N-Crum Win User

Max disk size for Windows 10

Bios/MBR based drives with NTFS are limited to 2 TB partitions:

BIOS/MBR-based hard drive partitions

While deploying windows to HDD with GUID Partition Table (GPT) ,instead of MBR, each partition can have a total of 18 exabytes:

UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions

It is the partition table used on the HDD that will limit that size of the supported disk.

N-Crum, Aug 29, 2016
  3. partitioning 2 TB Hdd

It has three replies, waiting on input from you.

Participate.

partition hard drive

Shenan Stanley, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

2 HDD will generally be better - in addition you can backup images of your system configuration on the second HDD.

You should consider a SSD or SSD + HDD for vastly improved speed.

Steve C, Aug 29, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    It rather depends what you are doing. You will always get marginally better performance with two hdds as they have two data seek heads rather one (the head has to move around more if only one drive).

In most cases, the difference is barely noticeable, but where you get a real bottleneck is when physically copying a lot of data from one partition to another on one drive, as the sata interface has to read and write simultaneously. With two drives, one reads and one writes.

cereberus, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Even if you use 2 HDDs, it is better to use only a small partition for Windows. Using the whole disk is just wasteful, about 100 GB would do, in case of problems, you would remove the partition. That said, 60-120 GB SSD would suffice OS only.

TairikuOkami, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Absolutely..... I'm convinced . *Biggrin

OP , I dual boot 14393 on metal with 14905 being the daily driver on an SSD you don't want to go back to metal once you use an SSD windows boot drive it's torture on a metal HDD once you been on a SSD even on my Core i7 gaming desktop in the PC game /music room or the metal drive in here *really.

I use the metal 14393 Windows healthy partition , library's and storage and run some exe off there that will work like that .

I have most exe I use and *some files ,folders and data I use frequently on the 14905 SSD ,my daily use OS, but the majority of storage I manage to keep the SSD from getting full is on the 14393 metal drive or another Seagate USB 3.0 expansion desk .

I haven't made a separate NTFS storage volume on the 14393 spindle drive but it may happen .

This is a brand new PC in my specs and I have plenty of storage on the Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD I migrated out of the old PC and had previously on the external drive also .

This Haswell Core i5 PC in my specs is wicked fast on an SSD Windows drive for everyday computing ,the web and power multi tasking .

Here is my storage arrangement :

electronuser, Aug 29, 2016
  8. Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD

up vote here *chuckle

electronuser, Aug 29, 2016
  9. LMiller7 Win User
    I don't think you will find a real world situation where one drive would perform better than two. Two drives gives you two sets of read write heads and two drive caches which function independently. Even in an all SSD system the advantage would go to the two drives, although the advantages would be minimal. The only significant advantage a single drive has is lower cost.

The primary factor in the performance of conventional drives is head seek time. It will usually take more time to seek to the data required than to read the data. To maximize performance you want to minimize both the number and extent of head seeks.

From a strictly performance standpoint it would be best to install the OS on a small partition of a much larger fast drive. This confines the heads to a small portion of the drive and minimizes the extent of seeks. But this is very wasteful because you can't use the rest of the drive for anything, except for something rarely used, without compromising performance. An even bigger problem is that the large drive will cost you as much as a smaller SSD which would provide much better performance. I never claimed this was a practical thing to do.

Typical usage patterns for the OS drive is frequent but small reads scattered over many portions of the drive. That means frequent and lengthy head seeks. With their almost non existent seek times an SSD would excel at this but it is a real problem for a conventional drive.

Typical data drive usage tends toward much larger reads which minimize head movement. Conventional drives handle this quite well.

Using two drives the usual configuration is to have a small SSD for the OS and a larger conventional drive for your data. Using an SSD for data would provide better performance but a drive of adequate size is still quite expensive. But that is changing. This configuration provides most of the advantages of an SSD but at a significantly lower cost. If you are going to have two drives this is the most logical configuration.

LMiller7, Aug 29, 2016
  10. holahapi Win User
    Is your D: for installed programs? Is it beteer have seprate for OS and Programs as well?

holahapi, Aug 30, 2016
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    There is little to be gained in having a separate drive for programs. If you have to reinstall the OS you would have to reinstall all applications anyway so there is no advantage there. It is often done to conserve space on an SSD that is too small to accommodate all applications. It tends to make things more complicated as most applications will install to c: by default and some won't give you a choice. And if D: is a separate partition you would lose performance.

Applications are installed on a separate drive for a variety of reasons but it isn't really an optimum configuration.

LMiller7, Aug 30, 2016
  12. VBJP Win User
    That's true if all drives are same model. Otherwise two slow drives vs one fast drive would not always result in 2 drive win situation.
    There is also thing with HDD platter size/data density on platter. More densely packed data on platter would require less movement from reading heads thus it would result to better sequential read performance at lower rpm.

13. holahapi Win User

Thank you all you guys help *Biggrin
    It makes me clear now!

holahapi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD - Similar Threads - Performance HDD Partitions

2. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD: I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD...
  3. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD: I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD...
  4. 2 HDD In one PC WITH 2 Different OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 HDD In one PC WITH 2 Different OS: I have two HDDs, one with license Vista and one with License Windows 10 , can I use them both in same pc and choose whatever OS and HHD I can use? If yes how to do that?...
  5. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  6. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  7. HDD refusing to fuse 2 partition together.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD refusing to fuse 2 partition together.: On short: Disk had 3 partitions, deleted all 3, 2 of them refuse to stitch together, tried both new volume and extend volume, but extend volume converts to dynamic volume then spits out insufficient disk space. Full story: Hi, I have recently encountered a problem with my 4...
  8. recommendations for RELIABLE 1 or 2 bay HDD docking station

recommendations for RELIABLE 1 or 2 bay HDD docking station: I have this 2 bay Orico docking station that has not been reliable for a long time. I think they no longer sell this product. So I just tossed this device into the recycle bin. So i'm seeking recommendations for a brand and model of docking station for both 2.5" and 3.5"...
  9. A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition: I was given a HDD to fix a problem but i cant find the solution. In the volumes it shows 2 logical partitions named RECOVERY (D:) and that is actually one of the partitions of the disk i was given BUT both volumes have the same name and are attached to the same partition...
  10. Made a HDD partition 1-2 yr ago. Now I want it gone.

Made a HDD partition 1-2 yr ago. Now I want it gone.: Quick story: Dual boot linux partition created I never used. I want it gone and HD back to normal: Long story: So, about 2 years ago, I had a great idea I was going to dual boot Lunix. It worked for a bit then something went wrong. I did something with my disk partition. I...