Windows 10: Performance 'over time' Win10 vs. 7?

Discus and support Performance 'over time' Win10 vs. 7? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having just performed a clean reinstall of Win7 on my 6 year old Thinkpad (at least 2 other clean installs during the machine's life), I remain amazed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markg2, Aug 27, 2015.

1. markg2 Win User

Performance 'over time' Win10 vs. 7?

Having just performed a clean reinstall of Win7 on my 6 year old Thinkpad (at least 2 other clean installs during the machine's life), I remain amazed at the performance difference. It's literally like having purchased a new machine of the same age.

Since I do not download a bunch of junk, I have to believe that a very large part of the performance increase stems from not having the clutter and residue from normal, everyday OS use?

So if the preceding is a reasonable statement, is Windows 10 supposed to be any better at housekeeping, more efficient in it's ways and less likely to significantly slow down over time vs the previous OS's?

Mark

:)

markg2, Aug 27, 2015
  2. diddumsk Win User

windows 10 is a piece of junk! and they take away all your apps including office!!!

What is your opinion regarding performance of a system following WIN10 upgrade vs "clean install."

diddumsk, Aug 27, 2015
  3. VS 6

VS 6 was win7 installation in
    the win10 don't compile

StanislavSrnka, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Performance 'over time' Win10 vs. 7?

I would argue that Windows 7 did a very good job at keeping itself clean, and I would expect 10 to follow in that pattern. The biggest issue is the user, not the OS. If the user does their part, the OS will do it's share. If not, it can't overcome the habits of a user.

DeaconFrost, Aug 27, 2015
  5. mrpumpkin Win User
    I think it remains to be seen. Part of that old OS syndrome is not just installed programs. I have experienced performance hits from Windows updates themselves. My win7 is pretty zippy at the moment, but I am really selective about which updates I install besides security.

With forced updates in win10, things might be different. Too early to tell.

mrpumpkin, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Elbern Win User
    Hello,

I see performance increase for general task that are Copy paste, Search time and maybe few other features.
    But it's maybe a placebo:

On a fresh new install of Windows 10 Home x64,
    I can close games like Wolfenstein old blood, fast enough with 4Gb of ddr3.

On windows 7, it was a bit long to close some games.

I can't test more because i will have to reinstall every games one by one and see specially what happen with train simulator 2015 and Wolfenstein the new order.

Just to say compared to Win 7, the memory management is surely bettter.

Now performance at shutdown is good enough, little longer with uefi hardware fast boot, than on 7, but not by much.

It's just the boot time, it require maybe 5 or Ten reboot, to help the slow startup.

And actually i only have the intel Inf chipset, realtek hd audio codec , Kaspersky internet security 2015,
    And i did not install intel RST sata controller inf from F6 yet.
    Amd catalyst 15.7.1

I have steam and origin, ultra defrag, c cleaner, and that's all, just windows 10 updated like stores.

So you can see it's totally free of apps.

Windows 7 when i did a fresh install, it was way faster at boot time, know i remember, there is something that need to be fixed maybe on devices drivers, on on microsoft part.

Even the first 7 boot i did without antivirus, hybernate disabled, system restore off, and few other tweaks, didn't helped.

So yes it's too soon for me to say windows 10 will improve performance in future *Smile

Elbern, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Performance 'over time' Win10 vs. 7?

1. Performance 'over time' Win10 vs. 7? - Similar Threads - Performance 'over time'

2. TPU vs GPU vs CPU Performance and Differences discussed

in Windows 10 News
    TPU vs GPU vs CPU Performance and Differences discussed: [IMG]As technology advances, the hardware used in a computer system is also upgraded in order to meet the demands of the public. Earlier, there was a CPU (Central Processing Unit) in the computer systems. Later on, the introduction of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) has taken...
  3. Transferred 7 Times, Over 4 Hours on the Phone and NO HELP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferred 7 Times, Over 4 Hours on the Phone and NO HELP: I have purchased games and can't log in to Microsoft Shop. Keep getting the message that I am not connected to the internet. I am connected and have gone through 4 different agents' book that they read from. Three of the four Xbox agents say the problem is with Windows. When...
  4. UEFI vs Legacy,difference in performance?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI vs Legacy,difference in performance?: Hey guys. Just checked,and damn,I installed W10 in Legacy mode on my desktop. I saw a tutorial how to convert MBR to GPT but do I gain any of the performance with it,do I need it? My MoBo has UEFI Bios. I don't have any partitons and I don't need them since I'm only one 1 SSD...
  5. Win10/7 Dual boot issues & GPU performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10/7 Dual boot issues & GPU performance: Hi guys, So I’m having issues with my computer and dual booting win7/win10. First some info about my PC: I have an older PC dell inspiron 1531 Win 7/10 x64 With Toshiba OCZ SSD 2 partitions 8gb RAM Nvidia GT 610 2gb DDR3 graphics card Recently updated 6months ago...
  6. Poor Mouse Performance Over Time

Poor Mouse Performance Over Time: After several hours of PC uptime, mouse pointer suffers from dramatic slowness, to several long seconds of not responding at all to mouse movements. I have tried several troubleshooting steps, including disabling Cortana with no change....
  7. Win10 vs Win7 performance ?!?!

Win10 vs Win7 performance ?!?!: so today I run a benchmark and here are the results . Windows 7 home premium 64 bit [ATTACH] Windows 10 professional 64 bit [ATTACH] there is anyone who lost overall performance with windows 10?...
  8. Performance issues : Excel 2016 64 bit with Windows 7 Vs. 10

Performance issues : Excel 2016 64 bit with Windows 7 Vs. 10: Hello Team, We are facing some performance issues with Windows 10 with Excel 2016 64 bit. Our testers observed that the calculation in the excel application is taking much time when compared with Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 with same Excel Version and Application. Here are...
  9. Win10 Performance actually improve over time?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Performance actually improve over time?: Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question -- but I have not been using Win10 all that much on a daily basis, even though I am an Insider, but instead have stuck with Win8.1. Then lately, I have been encountering problems in 8.1, especially in the video drivers area --...
  10. Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance: Three years ago we were benchmarking Microsoft's then latest operating system, Windows 8. At the time we were keen to make sure Windows 8 performed as well as Windows 7, which was a huge upgrade from 2006's Windows Vista. In the end, we determined that Windows 8 was on par...