Windows 10: Performed Repair Install but still have some various issues

Discus and support Performed Repair Install but still have some various issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd like to address them one by one so I don't get confused: First issue: I cannot delete a Desktop icon by right clicking on it. After a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Performed Repair Install but still have some various issues

I'd like to address them one by one so I don't get confused:

First issue: I cannot delete a Desktop icon by right clicking on it. After a few seconds after right clicking on the icon in question, my Desktop disappears - then reappears with the icon I tried to delete still there. In order to delete it, I have to go to Computer>Desktop - and delete it from that list. I also can't rename Desktop icons. The same thing happens. Also, there is one specific icon I can't remove by any method! Recommendations, please?

:)

Nisko, Jul 12, 2017
  2. Natta0 Win User

Delete temporary files - Performed, but still consistently 1.2 GB

I don't know for sure the behavior occuring when I press the button, but having managed to miraculously upgrade to the new release I think that this deletes some files while you are on the page, then stops?

Whatever! It's a shame Windows is still a monster of a tool. I would just like to forget all pointless solutions.

Natta0, Jul 12, 2017
  3. I upgraded to 2010 and am receiving a message that one or more Network Protocols are missing. How do I fix this?

Hello Riddhi,

Some issues will still persist even after performing a Reset. Suggest you to try performing a
    repair In-place upgrade. A repair In-place upgrade will repair operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

Follow the instructions mentioned in earlier post for performing
    repair In-place upgrade. Once you done with that, see if the problem still persist.

Keep us posted the outcome.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Performed Repair Install but still have some various issues

1. option: It might be, that active desktop is ON. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "ForceActiveDesktopOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktop" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktopChanges" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote] 2. option: Some installed shell extension might be interfering.

Download ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

Go to - Options - Select Hide all Microsoft extensions

Edit - Select All - then - File - Disable Selected Items.

Check, if it did anything. If not, you can re-enable all.

Try Unlocker or LockHunter.

TairikuOkami, Jul 12, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    If you're still having issues, I would consider a clean format install.

swarfega, Jul 12, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Nisko,

If you're still having issues, I would consider going to the computer / display card maker and installing the latest version of the display driver. Whilst this might not be the cause of the problem in your particular case, odd behaviour like this can be caused by display drivers so it is worth trying.

Installing the latest version is more thorough than using Device manager to check for updates because it will overwrite any corruption to the existing driver.

If your computer / display card is no longer supported in Windows 10 then you can try experimenting with the latest versions for Windows 7 / 8 but there would be no guarantee of success.

Denis

7. Steve C Win User
    I suggest you create a new account and see if that has problems. If that works, then your original account profile may be corrupt and you will need to move your files to the new account. There is a forum tutorial on this.

Steve C, Jul 13, 2017
  8. Nisko Win User

Will I lose any programs - or anything else? I have never heard of this procedure - but, if it fixes my problem, I'll do it. Thank you for responding.

Nisko, Jul 13, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    No, you are just creating another account, you are not uninstalling a program or deleting data.

AddRAM, Jul 13, 2017
  10. Nisko Win User
    Please tell me how to find that forum tutorial (how to move files to a new account). I've looked but I know I'm not looking in the right place or the right way. I need to learn how to do this. Please explain. Thank you.

BTW, I still want to learn how to find specific tutorials - but changing accounts didn't help my issue. Could you make another suggestion? I'll try anything to fix this issue without having to do a clean install. I just have too many programs and settings.

Nisko, Jul 14, 2017
  11. TairikuOkami, Jul 14, 2017
  12. Nisko Win User
    I've tried a new account and that didn't work. FYI: I have also tried a Repair Install. I'm 72 years old and, by the time I get all my programs loaded into a clean install, I won't be in this world anymore - and I'll lose my business which depends heavily on my computer - and I depend heavily on the income. If no one in this forum can help, I'll have to call Microsoft support (I hate to do that)! Thanks for all your help. Perhaps you have some other ideas?

Nisko, Jul 14, 2017
  13. Try3 Win User

Did you check the display driver as I suggested?

Denis

14. Nisko Win User
    Yes, I installed it - still have my issue.

BTW, I need a little help on how to navigate a thread. When I post and I get a reply, then someone else also replies, there is one box for me to reply. Does everyone that is on the thread get notified? Also, how do I reply to someone that replied earlier and there is no box for me to reply specifically to that post? Recently, I posted about this issue and my post got hijacked (someone butted in and asked his own (related) question. I politely told him to start his own thread - but he continued to post until he got what he wanted. At that point, I was completely confused as to how to post a reply. Thank you!

Nisko, Jul 14, 2017
  15. Try3 Win User
    Nisko,

1 Yes, it can get awkward if people take over a thread.

2 About "I need a little help on how to navigate a thread" - The only way to address yourself to a specific user or post is to address the member by name & quote a prominent section of their post. Not foolproof but...

3 It is a shame that the display driver installation did not fix the issue. It is hardly ever possible to be certain but your description of the symptoms sounded to me like a display driver problem [illogical visual responses on the desktop but correct behaviour when repeated in File explorer]. Your later comment about having done a Repair install also pointed to a non-Windows cause e.g. a driver.

4 I have just read this thread again and I notice that there is no reference to behaviour in Safe mode [I might just be missing it, I thought you had checked that earlier]. Safe mode can help to narrow down the choice of possible causes. In this case, for example, if Safe mode behaviour is correct then you could check Device manager to see what it is using as the display driver during Safe mode.

5 This is just a shot in the dark but do you have any handy little utilities that affect the desktop or how things are displayed & that might be misbehaving? Any desktop slide show might also be adversely affecting the desktop as might any utility to tweak Windows behaviour [even if you are not actively using that part of the utility]. I have not used any of these for years so cannot remember any names except "TweakUI" or something similar.

6 About "there is one specific icon I can't remove", I suggest you right-click on it {whilst looking at it in File explorer}, select properties, Security, Advanced. Who is the owner [System?] and what Permissions do your user account & the "administrators" group have on it? What is that icon? If it is merely a shortcut to an application then it should be safe to change the Owner to yourself or the "administrators" group then delete it.

7 There are slight similarities between your problem and some reported in the MSAnswers / MSCommunity forum -
    7.1 renaming files in windows 10 Have a read through its questions & its 26 replies to decide if any of it is useful for you.
    7.2 Take a look at this article by a very capable user, Ramesh, - [Fix] Cannot Rename Or Move Folders In Windows 10, Due To Missing FolderDescriptions Registry Entries I am not convinced it is relevant.
    7.3 I have had a quick look around the MSAnswers forum but did not see anything else that might help. If you do search it be prepared for lots of false search results caused by inappropriate marking of posts as "Answers" by some mafia of Microsoft franchised support staff. In general, posts by "Microsoft" forum moderators should be ignored {whereas posts by Community moderators are often very useful}. MS behaviour in that forum has persuaded me that MS support are the very last people I would ever expect to get any useful help from.

8 If you upgraded from Windows 7/8 then the option that you have already rejected, a clean reinstallation, might be the best choice but there could be no guarantee of success because the cause of the problem remains unknown.
    • I bit the bullet and did this on two computers last summer and it was a week before I had all my applications installed and everything set up the way I wanted.
    • If you make a system image & back up all your own files first then you could just try reinstalling Windows itself first to see if the behaviour was fixed.
    • If not then just restore the system image to get back to where you are today.
    • If, however, the reinstalled Windows does behave itself then you would at least know that this option was worth pursuing even if you don't know when you'll have the time - you can just make a system image of the reinstalled system on a different external hard drive as your future starting point then restore your original image to get back to normal-ish running.

Best of luck,
    Denis

Thema:

1. Performed Repair Install but still have some various issues - Similar Threads - Performed Repair Install

2. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer having various issues: Ok, so this has been an ongoing issue, and I'm not sure what is happening.So, there have been at least 3 times now when booting up the computer that it gets to the HP logo on bootup, which takes like a second to get to, and then it hangs there. No loading symbols or anything,...
  3. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer having various issues: Ok, so this has been an ongoing issue, and I'm not sure what is happening.So, there have been at least 3 times now when booting up the computer that it gets to the HP logo on bootup, which takes like a second to get to, and then it hangs there. No loading symbols or anything,...
  4. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Related To Some Performance Issues

Related To Some Performance Issues: I have Windows 10 version 1903 installed on my laptop with specifications as follows :- Intel i3 2348M @ 2.30 GHz 6GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB Hard Disk I have these all installed into my laptop but my laptop is lagging . I tried using the tips on this link...
  6. Related To Some Performance Issues

Related To Some Performance Issues: I have Windows 10 version 1903 installed on my laptop with specifications as follows :- Intel i3 2348M @ 2.30 GHz 6GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB Hard Disk I have these all installed into my laptop but my laptop is lagging . I tried using the tips on this link...
  7. Some performance issues after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some performance issues after update: After I updated my windows from 1903 to 1909 i got some sudden freezes in my games. For example good old CS:GO runs smooth on 300 fps. But suddenly freezes and fps drops to 70-100 and then goes back to normal. It can happen any time, totally random. There is no exact time...
  8. Performed in place windows repair install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performed in place windows repair install: So, I did an inplace windows repair install. I've done this plenty of times before, however, this time.... I lost a significant amount of storage space on the C Drive. I performed a disk cleanup there afterwards and was only able to ditch 25 gb. I'm still down roughly about...
  9. Performed in place windows repair install

in Windows 10 Support
    Performed in place windows repair install: So, I did an inplace windows repair install. I've done this plenty of times before, however, this time.... I lost a significant amount of storage space on the C Drive. I performed a disk cleanup there afterwards and was only able to ditch 25 gb. I'm still down roughly about...
  10. Performance installation issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance installation issues: If this forum is setup similar to the Windows 8 forum, my laptop specs should appear as part of my signature. I come to this forum to help fix a few issues with my now upgraded version of Windows. Honestly, in the 20+ years I've owned pc's and laptops, after a Packard Bell I...