Windows 10: Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify

Discus and support Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a vexing problem since the Anniversary update on my Vaio. I have been using Windows 10 on this machine successfully for over a year. Here are... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Davidwilliamw, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify

I have a vexing problem since the Anniversary update on my Vaio. I have been using Windows 10 on this machine successfully for over a year. Here are the exact symptoms:

• I boot up the laptop from a cold state.
    • The boot appears normal and my personal background appears on the welcome screen with the current time and date. Normally, I would just need to click anywhere on this screen to receive my personal photo and a login prompt. Up to this point, by the way, I have not heard the Windows dah-dah-di-dah-hmmmm sound.
    • When I click on the welcome screen, the background stays, but seems to zoom in slightly. No personal picture appears, no login prompt appears. The only icons are the WiFi icon and the accommodations icon for visually impaired. Both of these icons function normally, but nothing else does, not ctrl-alt-delete. Not the enter key. Nothing.
    • Eventually, after about a minute, the welcome screen with the date and time returns, but clicking produces the same result as before.
    • I am forced to hold down the power key until the computer shuts down and then press it again to boot.
    • At this point, the process usually proceeds normally (with the dah-dah-di-dah-hmmmm sound) and the login screen with my (circular) photo appears and the login proceeds normally.
    • Other strangeness: I am unable to verify my identity on the computer because clicking on Verify produces a Windows security error: We couldn't sign you in."
    • I tried resetting the Windows explorer advanced internet options, and it didn't help.
    • I added SSL 3.0 to the checked internet options, and it didn't help.
    I am afraid that all of these forced shut-downs will eventually degrade the performance of my computer. Help!!

:)

Davidwilliamw, Sep 16, 2016

2. No Login Prompt on Home Screen

I can't even start in safe mode. The screen is black. When I try to do a startup repair, an admin password is required. My admin tried every password they have ever used and it will not let them in. When you go to security, it says that the admin password
    is not set. I have been locked out of my computer for two months and there is nothing I have read that will help.

This is very frustrating since it is a Microsoft issue and there seems to be no fix.

Angie Van Winkle, Sep 16, 2016
  3. No Login Prompt on Home Screen

Power on and off your computer three times

On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

Click Advanced Options

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced Options

Click Startup Settings

Click Restart

Press (4) to Enable Safe Mode

Wait while Windows 10 starts in safe mode.

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display Adapter

Right click your Display adapter and click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

If you have an older Antivirus utility also uninstall it.

Restart

Andre Da Costa, Sep 16, 2016
  4. Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify

Additional information: I tried to solve the forced shutdown issue by changing the function of the power button from sleep to shut down. However, this type of shutdown brings the problem right back. I have to hold the power button to completely turn off the computer, then the next boot produces the windows sound and the login screen appears normally. Also, I solved the verification issue by creating another administrator on the computer and was able to verify my identity using the new user.

Davidwilliamw, Sep 16, 2016
  5. Solved: When I realized that there was a difference between the forced shutdown and the normal shutdown, I thought maybe those crafty Windows programmers figured out a way to keep Windows partially awake in order to start up faster. But in my case, that was causing my boot up process to partially fail. Soooo I turned off Fast Startup and sure enough, it has solved the problem!! Here is the procedure:
    How do I enable or disable fast startup?
    • Type Control Panel in the search box.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • Click Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
    • Click Save changes.

Davidwilliamw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify

1. Periodically there is no login prompt on login screen; can't verify - Similar Threads - Periodically login prompt

2. Blurry login screen and can't login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blurry login screen and can't login: I was working and noticed my browser was slow so I cleared my cache, then went into my files to get a img and my files would take minutes or not even load. So I turned off a few programs and CPU was 4%-7% and memory was around 28%. I have externals for games and data for some...
  3. No password prompt at login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No password prompt at login screen: Hello, I have a very bad issue with my Acer laptop running on windows 10, i recently signed out on my pc now my login screen doesn't want to show any password prompt and CTRL + ALT + DEL keys doesn't work. In addition any key combinations doesn't work. I've tried so many...
  4. No password prompt at login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No password prompt at login screen: Hello, I have a very bad issue with my Acer laptop running on windows 10, i recently signed out on my pc now my login screen doesn't want to show any password prompt and CTRL + ALT + DEL keys doesn't work. In addition any key combinations doesn't work. I've tried so many...
  5. No password prompt at login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  6. No login prompt

No login prompt: Hi all, I have been encountering an irritating issue. My PC, an Asus laptop with Windows 10 Home, does not prompt the login page after starting the PC. After a seemingly normal and fast boot, I get the screen with the clock and date, but after clicking on it, there is no...
  7. How to rename login screen login prompt

How to rename login screen login prompt: I have a computer that has a duplicate "Other User" login prompt. We have a global policy that puts four login options ,but the issue isn't getting corrected after I run ggpupdate /force. The prompts should say: Other User Password Local or Domain Account Smart Card...
  8. No login prompt at login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No login prompt at login screen: As can be seen in the picture, sometimes after locking the computer, unlocking is impossible because there is no where to enter the password and the screen is almost empty but the options on the bottom left. Any way to fix that? [img] 63359
  9. No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No password prompt at login screen. Can not login.: After I configured to start up the Windows 10 with the safe mode as following method for uninstalling a software, it does not prompt to enter a password at login screen anymore. It was working fine until now. [img] [img] I have tried following but no luck....
  10. Can't get a login prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get a login prompt: On my other computer I misunderstood some troubleshooting instructions and selected "diagnostic startup" in msconfig. When I rebooted I found that I could no longer get the prompt to enter my PIN or password, meaning that I can no longer log in. All I see is my name and,...