Windows 10: Permanently disable disc defragmenter

Discus and support Permanently disable disc defragmenter in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a SSD installed, but with every major Windows update, I find that disc defreg schedule has been turned back on by the update. One day i will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Procrastinus, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Permanently disable disc defragmenter

I have a SSD installed, but with every major Windows update, I find that disc defreg schedule has been turned back on by the update.

One day i will forget to check! Is there a way to permanently disable it?

:)

Procrastinus, Oct 26, 2017
  2. Confused# Win User

Windows10 Disc Defragmentation

I upgraded my PC from Win7 to Win10 about 6 months ago.

When I use the "Optimise Drives" Tool it informs me that my "C" drive needs optimisation (11% fragmented) & "System Reserved" area needs optimisation (19% fragmented).

However, when I run the optimisation tool on my "C" drive it does not appear to complete properly & after about 12 passes or so, it reverts to "needs optimisation (11% fragmented) and not to OK (0% fragmented) which is what I am expecting! The same applies
    to the "System Reserved" area!

When I go to the "C" drive icon, properties, tools tab & optimise tool, I get the following message:

" The Disk Defragmenter is not installed on your computer. To install it, double click the Add or Remove Programs icon in Control Panel, click the install/Uninstall tab, then follow the instructions on your screen."

In the Win10 "Programs and Features" window there is no "Add or Remove Programs icon!

Can somebody please advise me on the following:

• how to check if the Disc Defragmenter tool is installed on my PC?
    • why might the Disc Defragmenter tool not be installed on my PC?
    • if the tool is missing how do I reinstall it?
    • if the tool is missing why is there not also a warning with the "Optimise Drives" tool?
    • if the tool is installed why does the "Optimise Drives" tool not complete fully & report OK (0% fragmented), which is what I am expecting?
    • any other amplifying information, advice or explanations.

Confused#, Oct 26, 2017
  3. Confused# Win User
    Windows10 Disc Defragmentation

Thanks again for your advice. I am not too keen to go down the 3rd party defragmenter route just yet, so will hold back for the time being.

I assume my only options are to:

• live with it as is. But fragmentation will get worse!
    • try to follow your first recommended action (difficult with just one PC)
    I am also curious as to why and how this s/w might have been removed if it is an inbuilt windows tool?

Could it have been missing from Windows7?

Should the windows10 upgrade have reinstalled the defragmenter from the win7 version, especially if it was already missing?

Is there any other way to check that the tool is actually missing? A search for defragmenter did not find an .exe file. What is the .exe file correct name?

Confused#, Oct 26, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Permanently disable disc defragmenter

It is not defragging the SSD - it s doing TRIM. This is needed to keep SSD in good condition.

cereberus, Oct 26, 2017
  5. Thanks cereberus, that I did not know!
    I will turn defrag on again! I seemed to assume TRIM was always working in the background, not a specific item. Mind you, it does actually say Optimise not Defragment!
    Thanks again!

PS. Is this also true for Windows 7, which does call it Defragment not Optimise?

Procrastinus, Oct 26, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    You mean turn optimise on, not defrag!

Yeah - just that W7 was out before SSDs were common, so the screens are not that clear, but still TRIMS iirc.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Permanently disable disc defragmenter

1. Permanently disable disc defragmenter - Similar Threads - Permanently disable disc

2. disable DoNotDisturb permanently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable DoNotDisturb permanently: Every answer just points to the obvious On/Off button. Using this just reverts to On after only a short time. Someone please give a permanent solution with EXACT instructions if a Registry edit is needed....
  3. disable DoNotDisturb permanently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable DoNotDisturb permanently: Every answer just points to the obvious On/Off button. Using this just reverts to On after only a short time. Someone please give a permanent solution with EXACT instructions if a Registry edit is needed....
  4. Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation: I've read that one of the hints to increase the SSD's lifespan and to prevent losing data is through: Optimize Drives / Scheduled optimization / Off Disable. Is that true? Can disabling the scheduled optimization frequency e.g. weekly prevent early damage of SSD? What...
  5. Disable SSD disk defragmentation FOREVER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable SSD disk defragmentation FOREVER: Most of my PCs have 2 hard drives - first SSD and second mechanical. So I disable defragmentation for SSD disk and change schedule to monthly for the second disk. But after any feature update installation configuration is changing to the the default weekly runs for all hard...
  6. Permanently Disable Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Permanently Disable Updates: I almost never shutdown my PC or restart as I use it a a lot. I usually just put it into hibernate. The every few weeks that I do shut it down I always am forced to go through with a Windows update. No matter how much I search or disable stuff I can not figure out any way to...
  7. Disable Defragmentation of Boot Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Defragmentation of Boot Files: Hello, In Windows 10 1903, to disable this via registry which path/key is used? If it's not possible to do via registry, is there a command to use in a batch file? Thanks. 138996
  8. Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled: I just caught disk defragmenter running when I didn't want it to. Windows seems to love running things without my permission. I just doubled-checked the settings under "defragment and optimize drives" and it is off for all drives: Drives are not being optimized automatically...
  9. Why is disc acces light is permanently on?

Why is disc acces light is permanently on?: Yesterday I realised that the disk access light on my computer was on all the time. There is no flickering at all. Looking at performance with Task Manager the disk showed no activity at all. Watching for a bit there was a very small blip of (low volume) activity once in a...
  10. Disc analyzer and defragmenter program will not "load correctly"

Disc analyzer and defragmenter program will not "load correctly": How do I find and fix the Disc analyzer and defragmenter function so it will help maintain my computer? 22750

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the disk defragmenter is not installed