Windows 10: Permanently unfreeze HDD

Discus and support Permanently unfreeze HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Acer E5-575G. It is running Windows 10 1607. The SSD HDD is frozen in bios. I am able to unfreeze it, but when I boot up and check bios... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by philetus, Oct 6, 2016.

1. philetus Win User

Permanently unfreeze HDD

I have an Acer E5-575G. It is running Windows 10 1607.
    The SSD HDD is frozen in bios.
    I am able to unfreeze it, but when I boot up and check bios again it is frozen again.
    Is this being caused by Windows 10 1607?

:)

philetus, Oct 6, 2016
  2. Teemosan Win User

Windows 10 is not permanently deleting files and folders that I specify to be deleted permanently

I'm running Win 10 64 bit v 1607 (build 14398.187)

I have a PC. My Win 10 OS is installed on an SSD. I have 4 additional HDD's that are 2TB, 3TB, 4TB & a 5TB.

I noticed the other day when running WinDirStat that each of my HDD's had a large hidden folder named $RECYCLE BIN. The size of the contents in each folder well exceeded the designated size of a Recycle Bin for each drive. I've designated 60 GB per drive.
    One of the $RECYCLE BIN folders was 390 GB in size. When I checked the contents of that folder, it contained files and folders that I had 'permanently deleted' when Windows told me the delete's were too large for the Recycle Bin. So I had chosen to 'permanently
    delete' those items. For some reason Windows is not permanently deleting files and folders that I specify to be permanently deleted. Instead it is storing them on the drive in a $RECYCLE BIN folder.

When I cleared the contents of those folders on each drive (except my C:\ OS drive) I regained nearly 750 GB disk space across the 4 HDD's.

Why is it Windows doing that and how can I stop it? If I specify permanently delete, I want them items to be permanently deleted off of the drive.

Thanks

Teemosan, Oct 6, 2016
  3. mrwho1991 Win User
    What if I have activated Windows 10 on device, then replace the Hard Drive and reinstall windows 10?

I have an new computer but I haven't replace 350Gb HDD yet, I upgrade free windows 10 yesterday and of course it's activated permanent. But I decide to replace the HDD for the new one and the old one I decide to be backup drive. Will windows 10 still activated
    and genuine as now?

mrwho1991, Oct 6, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Permanently unfreeze HDD

What do you mean by "frozen"? As in a password lock on it in the bios or on the drive? Or is the drive basically dying at this point. Hardware does not lock up or die because of an operating system.

bro67, Oct 6, 2016
  5. philetus Win User
    In the bios under Security it says HDD Frozen. This is a new machine with 5.9 hrs on it so, I wouldn't think the HDD was dying. I know how to unfreeze it and I reboot into Windows 10 and go back to the bios and it is frozen.
    It's a m.2 SSD.

philetus, Oct 6, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    AFAIK it is supposed to be "Frozen" , it is a Protection Laptop Co.'s use to stop Boot Virus's and Malware etc writing to the Disk.

It will also stop inadvertently or otherwise secure erasing of the Drive I believe.

You could check with Acer Support to be sure though...

Solid State Drives - ArchWiki

Kbird, Oct 6, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    You are SOL, since it is hardware locked and if you sent it back to Acer to swap out the drive, it will probably cost you an arm and a leg, since there is no way to go into the bios to unlock the M.2 board hardware lock.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Permanently unfreeze HDD

1. Permanently unfreeze HDD - Similar Threads - Permanently unfreeze HDD

2. unfreeze my printer queue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unfreeze my printer queue: unfreeze my printer queue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unfreeze-my-printer-queue/20580c84-7e6e-4ce2-829d-aaaddbed5cec
  3. How do I unfreeze onedrive? There is no unfreeze button ANYWHERE to be seen and I get...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I unfreeze onedrive? There is no unfreeze button ANYWHERE to be seen and I get...: Onedrive said my acount was frozen until I upgrade or delete files. I deleted files until I have only used barely 2GBs out of the 5 available to me. There is no option anywhere to unfreeze my account. And the repetitive notifications that I can't do anything about are...
  4. How to unfreeze a zoomed in screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unfreeze a zoomed in screen?: My little sister has a Latitude 5580 and for the last two days now the entire screen has been zoomed in so much so that only the bottom right corner where the power button is. I’ve done a factory reset, I’ve just run diagnostics and nothing says it’s wrong. I’m currently...
  5. How to unfreeze a zoomed in screen?

How to unfreeze a zoomed in screen?: My little sister has a Latitude 5580 and for the last two days now the entire screen has been zoomed in so much so that only the bottom right corner where the power button is. I’ve done a factory reset, I’ve just run diagnostics and nothing says it’s wrong. I’m currently...
  6. How to Unfreeze gamebar overlay?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Unfreeze gamebar overlay?: I was recording an video, then wanted to delete it. I select the option show in the screenshot below and when I click on delete it does NOTHING, when I click on cancel it does NOTHING. I also cant escape the screen by clicking outside of it. HOW the hell do I get out of it?...
  7. How to Unfreeze gamebar overlay?

How to Unfreeze gamebar overlay?: I was recording an video, then wanted to delete it. I select the option show in the screenshot below and when I click on delete it does NOTHING, when I click on cancel it does NOTHING. I also cant escape the screen by clicking outside of it. HOW the hell do I get out of it?...
  8. Unfreeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unfreeze: How do I unfreeze the top row on my computer from the F1, F2, F3, etc. commands and back to the Mute, Volume Down, Volume Up, etc. commands? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unfreeze/bf553658-1066-4ca9-a35c-1e30c0023f78
  9. Permanent deletion of data on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Permanent deletion of data on HDD: Hi all, I know that there are many threads on the Web how to delete data on HDD for ever, so that it's safe to be sold in case of personal information previously stored on it. I just happened to create a thread here because to me you're the best on PCs and also wanted to...
  10. Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck

Truecrypt-Permanently decrypting external HDD stuck: Hello! I have a 1TB external HDD crypted with TrueCrypt since a couple of months and it's 99% full of important files. I wanted to decrypt it so I used "permanent decrypt", put my password and the progress bar is at 0.029% and the estimating time got from 8 hours to 160 days...