Windows 10: Permission for Authenticated Users - Ransomware?

Discus and support Permission for Authenticated Users - Ransomware? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I read an article that suggested that changing your permissions on your backup drive(s) to not allow "Modify" would prevent ransomware from encrypting... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Aguden, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Aguden Win User

Permission for Authenticated Users - Ransomware?

I read an article that suggested that changing your permissions on your backup drive(s) to not allow "Modify" would prevent ransomware from encrypting the drive. It sounds sensible but does anyone know if it is a good path to go down? I am running Malwarebytes Beta Anti-Ransomeware software but was just looking for that extra protection.

Many of my files are also on Dropbox and as I understand that, if there is a ransomeware attack, Dropbox backs up a copy of any file changed before the new (encrypted file) is written. It does this backup for any file and keeps the backups for a minimum of 30 days. So I can get them back. Just looking for any extra protection.

If there is a thread on this subject, please point me to it as I couldn't find one.

Thank You.

:)

Aguden, Jul 2, 2016

2. Access Denied to Drive

It was a permissions problem there was no Authenticated User Permissions Set.

Many thanks for your help it was much appreciated.

Les

LeslieWilson_940, Jul 2, 2016
  3. SreehariV Win User
    accidently changed permission on local disk E

i changed permission on local disk E and removed users n groups(Authenticated users ). Now i cant write anything on to that local disk. what can i do to restore default permission rights?? (I tried adding Authenticated users from security>edit>add>advanced>search
    list but then it showed some error message. )

SreehariV, Jul 2, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

You'd be better off unplugging the drive.

If you change the file permissions of course any malware could (if running with administrator privileges) change them back anyway before running the encryption.

The dropbox facility you mention is certainly useful too.

lx07, Jul 2, 2016
  5. Aguden Win User
    Thanks for the great idea. My 2 backups are NAS boxes that can be scheduled to spin down except when I schedule a backup. That will work and will solve a problem I had concerning one of my backup utilities that needs the modify on.

Aguden, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Permission for Authenticated Users - Ransomware? - Similar Threads - Permission Authenticated Users

2. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM': Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the root of my hard drive called C:\MySecureFolderI would like to secure this folder as much as I possibly can so that only the...
  3. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM': Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the root of my hard drive called C:\MySecureFolderI would like to secure this folder as much as I possibly can so that only the...
  4. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users: So what I did was:Opened file explorerRight clicked on the D drive, aka Data D:Clicked permissionsClicked securityClicked editDeleted the “Authenticated Users”And clicked applyWhen I restored the Authenticated Users profile, the last box labeled “Special permissions” is...
  6. How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users: So what I did was:Opened file explorerRight clicked on the D drive, aka Data D:Clicked permissionsClicked securityClicked editDeleted the “Authenticated Users”And clicked applyWhen I restored the Authenticated Users profile, the last box labeled “Special permissions” is...
  7. How to restore “special permissions” for Authenticated Users

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Re: Authenticated Users

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Re: Authenticated Users: Hi, I accidentally deleted the "Authenticated Users" from my PC. [ATTACH] How can a get it back? Regards, Kyle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-authenticated-users/1cc2710f-7635-44e4-8f3a-8dfc27d9c541
  9. User Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Permissions: How do I reset all user permissions to default. I may have accidentally deleted a profile that is needed., Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/97475d02-2691-484b-ad2a-99bd5e802315
  10. Authenticated Users & Everyone unable to apply permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Authenticated Users & Everyone unable to apply permission: Hi When applying permission to folders for Authenticated Users & Everyone the system says - access denied part way through applying them. Authenticated Users has no permissions at all and can't apply, and Everyone when created and the permission applied also denied. on my...