Windows 10: Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data

Discus and support Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I backed up my data to an external hard drive using rsync on Windows using cygwin+rsync. Below is example of the command: rsync -avhP --delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zythyr, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Zythyr Win User

Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data

I backed up my data to an external hard drive using rsync on Windows using cygwin+rsync. Below is example of the command:
    Now, when I connect my external hard drive to another computer, I am unable to access my data. When I try to read or copy a folder, Windows says permissions denied. Attached are the screenshots of the error prompts I get when I try to access the data on the external hard drive.

Edit (partial solution found):
    I came across a similar issue/solution by another user. By adding then noacl flag to the fstab file in the C/cygwin/etc/, I am able to avoid the permission issue. BUT the permission issue is only fixed on all NEW/UPDATED files/folders I sync. All existing data still have the permission issue despite rerunning rsync command.

How do I fix the permissions of all my existing data? It is very strange I never had this issue until after updating cygwin and rsync yesterday. How can I ensure my data on the external hard drive will be accessible by any computer?

:)

Zythyr, Mar 19, 2016
  2. PX03AFK Win User

Build 14251 will not install

And now I've found a problem which I am currently struggling to recover. I use rsync with cygnative (to supply the password). Was working fine before I tried to apply this update and now rsync says that cygnative doesn't exist when it is called through
    -e, but it was OK beforehand and cygnative is still where it was and will run fine when called directly from the command line. So, something has gone badly wrong with the PATH or how the command interpreter is working.

This is not helped by the fact that I now have no restore points, presumably deleted in the run up to the install, and therefore can't go back to a known working position.

PX03AFK, Mar 19, 2016
  3. An internal error has occured Access is denied. (0x80070005)

HI,

I have had problems with permission on a second drive where I keep data after installing windinows 10.

I followed how to change permission on the folder security tab.

After this I tried to access back up or restore your files and got the error message.

Jon Chambler, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data

1. Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data - Similar Threads - Permission issue accessing

2. How to retrieve D:/ drive accessible and data back

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to retrieve D:/ drive accessible and data back: Hi, In Windows 10, D:/ hard drive users permission for Read, Write, Read and execute, Modify options has been denied in the security and even as an administrator I cannot able to get in to this drive. I have data in the drive. How do we revoke all the privileages for all the...
  3. Rsync for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rsync for Windows 10: Hello, I store my photos and some other files in one hard disk. I would like to use another hard disk as backup. Does Microsoft have an equivalent to Rsync for Windows 10? Thanks...
  4. Permission Access Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permission Access Issue: Hello, I am trying to open the "WindowApps" folder, but am given a message that I don't have permission. I followed the prompts, but was given the error message in the screenshot I attached. How can I fix this issue? Thank you in advance! Operating System...
  5. Rsync on Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rsync on Windows: Please recommend some ways to use Rsync on Win10 computer. I try to use this tool to copy file from a remote Linux server. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rsync-on-windows/8de10c2b-f31f-4866-8f91-7220317b1a57
  6. Some Backing Up issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Some Backing Up issues: I have been trying to prepare for a (long overdue) Backup of Windows 10, using a system image. Unfortunately I have become somewhat confused. I had hoped to use AOMEI Backupper Standard which to me looks clear and easy to follow but for some reason no one has explained it...
  7. Macrium not backing up my Data Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium not backing up my Data Drive: Im trying to make an image of my laptop partitions but when I open the backup image to explore it the D Data Drive is missing Below are captures of my backup screen choices as well as the capture of the partitions contained in the image file Why is the backup file not...
  8. Permissions issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions issue: I have performed a clean install of Win10 on my C drive and it is running fine. My problem is when I go to install a program from a separate data store disk drive (stored on the drive over the past 5 years when I was running win7) or otherwise open a file from Win10 I...
  9. Loss of permission to access to files on data drive - advice please.

in Windows 10 Support
    Loss of permission to access to files on data drive - advice please.: Hello I recently upgraded my dual boot PC to Win 10 Creators edition (both 32 bit & 64 bit installations) - these share access to a data partition. Some files I downloaded in the past few days will not let me open them & give the attached error message. This is very...
  10. Application Data permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Application Data permissions: I was trying to look at C:\ProgramData\Application Data but got an "access is denied" exception. So I right-clicked and opened Application Data Properties/Security and tried to change the Administrator permissions, but after I checked the box for full permissions and then...