Windows 10: Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data

Discus and support Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I backed up my data to an external hard drive using rsync on Windows using cygwin+rsync. Below is example of the command: rsync -avhP --delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zythyr, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Zythyr Win User

Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data

I backed up my data to an external hard drive using rsync on Windows using cygwin+rsync. Below is example of the command:
    Now, when I connect my external hard drive to another computer, I am unable to access my data. When I try to read or copy a folder, Windows says permissions denied. Attached are the screenshots of the error prompts I get when I try to access the data on the external hard drive.

Edit (partial solution found):
    I came across a similar issue/solution by another user. By adding then noacl flag to the fstab file in the C/cygwin/etc/, I am able to avoid the permission issue. BUT the permission issue is only fixed on all NEW/UPDATED files/folders I sync. All existing data still have the permission issue despite rerunning rsync command.

How do I fix the permissions of all my existing data? It is very strange I never had this issue until after updating cygwin and rsync yesterday. How can I ensure my data on the external hard drive will be accessible by any computer?

:)

Zythyr, Mar 19, 2016
  2. PX03AFK Win User

Build 14251 will not install

And now I've found a problem which I am currently struggling to recover. I use rsync with cygnative (to supply the password). Was working fine before I tried to apply this update and now rsync says that cygnative doesn't exist when it is called through
    -e, but it was OK beforehand and cygnative is still where it was and will run fine when called directly from the command line. So, something has gone badly wrong with the PATH or how the command interpreter is working.

This is not helped by the fact that I now have no restore points, presumably deleted in the run up to the install, and therefore can't go back to a known working position.

PX03AFK, Mar 19, 2016
  3. An internal error has occured Access is denied. (0x80070005)

HI,

I have had problems with permission on a second drive where I keep data after installing windinows 10.

I followed how to change permission on the folder security tab.

After this I tried to access back up or restore your files and got the error message.

Jon Chambler, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data

1. Permission issue when accessing rsync backed up data - Similar Threads - Permission issue accessing

2. OneDrive is backing up data to a folder in my user directory without permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive is backing up data to a folder in my user directory without permission: OneDrive is backing up data to a folder in my user directory without permission, and when I delete it the game backs it up to that folder again. I have fully deleted onedrive multiple times with no solution. Do not tell me to do basic troubleshooting, this is a onedrive...
  3. cannot back up data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot back up data: Hello!... I have not been able to back up my computer data to an external hard drive or any other form of data storage device... Can someone help me with this issue?... Thanks in advance!... Oz...
  4. cannot back up data

cannot back up data: Hello!... I have not been able to back up my computer data to an external hard drive or any other form of data storage device... Can someone help me with this issue?... Thanks in advance!... Oz...
  5. Rsync hanging

Rsync hanging: Rsync has been successfully run for quite a few years on a Debian system. The home directory has been regularly transferred to a FAT32 USB drive. Recently, rsync has been hanging. Rsync just hangs at a particular small file that it gets to and doesn't move on - no error...
  6. WindowsApps Permission Access Issue

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    WindowsApps Permission Access Issue: Recently I changed some permission on my Users folder and started getting this message at startup. [ATTACH] This folder is greyed out and I cannot change permissions on it. It keeps giving me the message that I do not have permission to change this folder, even though I'm...
  7. Back up computer data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up computer data?: I have a Windows 7 64Bit Pc which has real quirks and therefore I would like to backup all data from it with a program which is free of charge, because the internal backup of Windows MD works. And also I have to figure out how to get Word and all the Microsoft Office...
  8. Backing up data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backing up data: So I'm kinda forced to update windows 10 in order to use Adobe software and upon knowing the bugs that some win10 updates cause I need to backup before applying, my question is do I only have two backup options (file history & backup and restore)? If that's the case I'm...
  9. Accessibility permissions issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Accessibility permissions issues: I am getting this message in family safety and I cannot get rid of it "Turn on the Accessibility permission on your child's Android device HTC One M9 for family features to work. " But accessibility permission is already enabled. I have tried disabling and re-enabling it,...
  10. Permission Access Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permission Access Issue: Hello, I am trying to open the "WindowApps" folder, but am given a message that I don't have permission. I followed the prompts, but was given the error message in the screenshot I attached. How can I fix this issue? Thank you in advance! Operating System...