Windows 10: Permission issues after copying User data to new profile.

Discus and support Permission issues after copying User data to new profile. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I have an issue with my main user profile - I renamed it, and since then there have been small issues, like the search not finding installed... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by rWill, Sep 12, 2016.

1. rWill Win User

Permission issues after copying User data to new profile.

Hello,

I have an issue with my main user profile - I renamed it, and since then there have been small issues, like the search not finding installed apps, certain Windows apps showing only a blank screen (including Contact Support, which is good for a chuckle), and an occasional hang on restart. I created a test profile, and have confirmed that Search, Apps, and restarting behave as expected with the new profile after initial login.

Once I copy the data from the original user over things get more interesting. The desktop opens quickly, and while some icons lose their program association (links to websites which are represented by Chrome icons on the bad profile), other programs will open on a double click. The issue is that the search box doesn't allow text to be entered, and the start button does nothing. Clicking on File Explorer, I get a message that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file." I tried to screenshot that and save it in mspaint, but on attempting to save I get the message "You can't save to 'This PC'. Please Choose another location." (Dodgy screenshot attached - had to take it with a phone)

Permission issues after copying User data to new profile. [​IMG]

I followed this procedure for copying over the data, which I performed from the built-in Administrator account : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...#1TC=windows-7

One exception to the procedure listed was that I found that I had to log in to the new user account before moving files into the folder. If I didn't, even with a default folder specified in the add new user dialog and created by Windows, on initial login to the new user account a folder username.computername would be created in the Users folder. So, I created the user, logged into it once, logged out and back into the built-in administrator account and moved the files from there.

I have a feeling my permissions are off somewhere (maybe everywhere?) in the copied user folders. I have tried to mimic the permissions from another known good account, but no dice. Also, when copying files and presented with a conflict I have been choosing to have the files from the bad profile overwrite the files in the good profile. I did not move NTUSER.DAT, ntuser.dat.log, NTUSER.DAT{string here}, or ntuser.ini files.

How can I set the permissions to get this new profile working? I am considering dropping the whole drive and doing a fresh install from ISO, but the massive number of programs and settings I use for work is keeping me from jumping into that adventure unless truly necessary.

Thanks!

:)

rWill, Sep 12, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Last 2 win 10 updates have completely messed up my system

Hi Kevin, this is happening much too often at the moment, you are logged into a temporary account . . .

When Windows performs a major update user files are copied into a temporary profile and after the process completes, the files are meant to be copied back to the original profile, in your case, the files have not been copied back. . . .

The first thing to try is restarting your PC maybe 4 or 5 times - this may resolve the issue!

Otherwise:

Create a new user profile with Admin privileges

Copy all your data from the kevin.kevin profile to the new profile (Documents Library, Pictures Library . . . etc.)

DaveM121, Sep 12, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Going back to a previous Windows 10 version problem

Hi Ema, the problem is a Windows Update has not completed correctly and you are currently signed into a temporary profile, that is why Windows thinks you have created a new account.

During large updates, Windows creates a temporary user profile and copies your data over to that profile. then installs the update and finally copies your data back into your profile, Windows Update has failed to copy your data back . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Users

Do you see 2 versions of your user profile folder

Open that folder and check inside Pictures, Documents . . . etc. and see if your files are there

If your files are there:

Create a new user profile with Admin privileges

Copy all your data from the old profile to the new profile (Documents Library, Pictures Library . . . etc.)

DaveM121, Sep 12, 2016
  4. rWill Win User

I was able to resolve this issue by resetting the Windows file permissions to their defaults. I had tried to reset them a few different ways, but this is what ended up working :

• If it's not enabled, enable the built-in Administrator Account (at elevated command prompt : net user administrator /active:yes )
    • Log out of all active accounts.
    • To restore the default file permissions, at an elevated command prompt run this command: secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
    • Restart the computer.
    • Log in to the new account - this took longer than usual, I assume due to the settings being applied.
    • Log in to any other active accounts (built-in Administrator will be disabled by the command above)
    • After successful login to all accounts, restart again.

rWill, Sep 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Permission issues after copying User data to new profile. - Similar Threads - Permission issues copying

2. Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded": Hello, I ran into the "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded" issue suddenly when turning on my laptop. I was sent to the account sign in page and entered my account PIN, but I received the same message again. After that, I restarted my computer and then entered the PIN code again. I...
  3. Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data is Wiped After "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded": Hello, I ran into the "User Profile Cannot Be Loaded" issue suddenly when turning on my laptop. I was sent to the account sign in page and entered my account PIN, but I received the same message again. After that, I restarted my computer and then entered the PIN code again. I...
  4. copy files with permission issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy files with permission issues: trying to copy files from external drive from local user to azure joined user, but getting permission errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-files-with-permission-issues/ce5f122f-b974-4ddc-aeaf-6bdeeb085aff
  5. Windows 10 - How to copy 1 user profile to a new user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - How to copy 1 user profile to a new user profile: My oldest son would like to give my youngest son his Windows 10 laptop, but he doesn't want the younger son to use his user profile. Because the current user profile has all the software, links, etc. that the younger one needs, I would like to make a duplicate user profile...
  6. New user profile issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New user profile issue: In my work we have a 1 desktop/laptop, that are connected to a domain, per user. In some cases someone has to sign on to another users PC. This is when the issue arises. As soon as another user logs on to the PC the windows search does not work, when you search for anything...
  7. Copy user profile and settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy user profile and settings: Ok everyone here is my problem. The original 1809 update caused my Xbox live to stop working on this profile only. I can get it working again if I create a new user profile but all my files and settings, etc. are under my old profile (windows/users/Mike). I would like to...
  8. How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it?: Just did a clean install of Windows 10 (Pro), installed all the updates, but my Start Menu is broken - when you start typing in the search box, it shows no results, if I type "Settings", nothing comes up, if I type "Word", nothing gets there. Curiously, if I type the full...
  9. Restore profile permissions to user profile folder

Restore profile permissions to user profile folder: I'm not sure why but sometimes when i port a profile over(make new profile, move all files/folder to temp folder, move old profile folder/files in then move the new profile over it) edge and the start menu break. Take ownership seems to miss alot of things and using the...
  10. copying user profile using copy to function

copying user profile using copy to function: Hi I understand that in versions of Windows 7 and earlier there was a function with system advanced to copy a user profile from one to another profile.....using ' copy to ' I tried this in Windows 10, but the copy to option was greyed out, so used an app called Windows...