Windows 10: Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account

Discus and support Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When trying to add an email account to Outlook 2013 on my daughters Surface Pro 3 running Win10 I get the following error message AFTER the test... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Heatstroke, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account

When trying to add an email account to Outlook 2013 on my daughters Surface Pro 3 running Win10 I get the following error message AFTER the test message is successfully sent.

The specified device, file, or path cannot be accessed. It may have
    been deleted, it may be in use, you may be experiencing network problems,.
    or you may not have sufficient permissions to access it. Close any
    applications using this file and try again.

Also when saving a Word 2013 document to a local user document folder I get this error message:

C:\Users\ahugh\documents\Test document.docx
    You don't have permission to save in this location.
    Contact the administrator to obtain permission.
    Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?

There is only one user account on the computer and it is an administrator account.

Thank you all for any and all advice and help in advance.

:)

Heatstroke, Aug 28, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

WORD problem

When a file - any file - is marked 'Read only' on its Properties sheet, that's an access control. It means your user account only has permission to view the file, but not change it.

Microsoft Word has its own 'read only' limitation, completely separate from the file's access control. You (or someone else) can save a document in a way that makes it 'read only.' You'll need to enter a password to remove that limitation.

So even if your user account has permission to change the file - which is known as write permission - if the document's creator added a read only limitation, you'll need to get the password from the document's creator (or whomever else added the password)
    to save changes to the document.

BulldogXX, Aug 28, 2015
  3. KeKidd Win User
    Upgraded to Windows 10 and all data files are now ready only

I suspect you are having the same problem that I am experiencing. I noticed that the account I use (the one that I installed the update from as well as the administrator account) is not listed in sub-directories.

\users\account - full permissions

\users\account\documents - I have no permissions

I have manually added permissions to the documents folder and pictures, which corrects the problem. However, the permissions keep reverting, or disappearing as the case may be.

Suggestions??

October 5, 2015

I realized that I did not update this issue after resolving it. Thanks to RDF, who put me on the right track. The problem stemmed from setting up an account prior to adding OneDrive access. account and then *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Apparently the upgrade process
    for Windows 10 could not handle this and linked the two together, which lead to all sorts of issues. The solution was to set up a new account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and copy files from the other account to this one.

KeKidd, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Ninetailz Win User

Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account

Instead of online account, make an local account and delete your online account. See if this solves the problem.

Ninetailz, Aug 28, 2015
  5. I do not understand the difference between the account types but will research and try. Thanks for the advice.

Heat

Heatstroke, Aug 28, 2015
  6. Ninetailz,

Thanks for the advice. I logged out of the online account and into the local account but still didn't have the permission necessary to add an email account or save a document to the local documents folder. I did not delete the online account.

Heat

Heatstroke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account

1. Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account - Similar Threads - Permission problem saving

2. Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts: Some programs requiring microsoft account signin were not working so I created a local account, signed out and removed my microsoft account. Now when I try to add any microsoft account, I get this error....
  3. Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues adding adding microsoft account to email & accounts: Some programs requiring microsoft account signin were not working so I created a local account, signed out and removed my microsoft account. Now when I try to add any microsoft account, I get this error....
  4. Error code 0x80070490 when adding email accounts.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error code 0x80070490 when adding email accounts.: Hi, I am getting the error code 0x80070490 when adding email accounts to the Calendar in W10. I have added one outlook account that has redesignated itself a Yahoo account. It then refuses to let me add another Yahoo email account. I have run the Cmd processes -...
  5. Permission problems when saving to a data drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permission problems when saving to a data drive.: I have a drive that holds all my projects and a drive that holds my operating system. When I have a program open like blender, Photoshop, ect... when i try to save the file to the data drive it says it does not have permission to save. My user is the admin user and I have run...
  6. Problem when using "Save as" on a download document

Problem when using "Save as" on a download document: I updated Windows 10 yesterday and since the update I have been having an issue when using save as on documents that I am downloading. I have seen the issue with my Quick Books software, Chrome and other applications. I select download from within the application that I...
  7. Saving an email to My Documents

Saving an email to My Documents: How do I transfer an email from the inbox to a folder in my documents? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-an-email-to-my-documents/a11e102f-7e8b-4330-801e-c78f862f2256"
  8. Adding an email to my account

Adding an email to my account: I am having a problem adding a Gmail address to my Microsoft account. It tells me that it needs to be updated. I changed the password (only option given) and that does not correct the problem. What do you advise that I should do? Thank You...
  9. Saving email to document folder

in Browsers and Email
    Saving email to document folder: Is there a way to do this in Windows 10 mail like in Windows Essentials 2012? i.e. right click and save to documents or desktop etc.. 25601
  10. Problem adding a POP3 email account

in Browsers and Email
    Problem adding a POP3 email account: I have just upgraded to Windows 10 but the mail tile won't allow me to add my usual POP3 email account. I have entered all details correctly as in Outlook Express, but it won't sync and then gives me an error code. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 15063