Windows 10: Permissions error on Start Menu folder

Discus and support Permissions error on Start Menu folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I cannot seem to install any programs that create shortcuts in the Start Menu folder. I get a permissions error as seen here:... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Spiral1, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Spiral1 Win User

Permissions error on Start Menu folder

I cannot seem to install any programs that create shortcuts in the Start Menu folder. I get a permissions error as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/ypiTfeq.png

Permissions error on Start Menu folder [​IMG]

I have checked the Security tab on the start menu folder itself and all users already have full control checked. Not sure what else to do. There are no other user accounts on the computer other than myself which is an admin account. https://i.imgur.com/kTzBJa3.png

:)

Spiral1, Jan 29, 2018

2. Change from local account to Microsoft account permission issues

So this fixed the file write permissions in my own user folder, but it still does not fix the start menu issue, as most programs adding a shortcut to the start menu add it to the "All Users" start menu, which I'm still denied access too. I have even tried
    taking ownership of the "All Users" folder, and the "All Users/Start Menu" folder. Even with ownership, I cannot change the permissions.

This is absolutely ridiculous by the way. This should not have happened at all.

ChrisRevocateur, Jan 29, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Photos App Left/Right Scroll arrows missing in some photo folders but not all

Thanks, this helped me.

Actually in my case it was not a permission issue. I had my pictures the usual pictures folder only, and my user account had the necessary permissions, but still it did not scroll.

What solved the issue was you second tip: Open 'Photos' application from start menu, go to the 'Folders' menu, 'Choose where to look' and added my folders.

AppuRaja(2), Jan 29, 2018
  4. Permissions error on Start Menu folder

Have tried running the setup as a administrator?

Can you check and see if another user account having the same issue.

FreeBooter, Jan 29, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    You showed screen print of user James but I think (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that installers don't run under your user profile but rather TrustedInstaller. When you run an installer it will generally ask you (via UAC) to take Administrator privileges (i.e. run as Administrator).

What do you have for this? If it looks different that could be an issue. Code: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> icacls 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs' C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs X201\HaliPermissions error on Start Menu folder :(I)(OI)(CI)(DE,DC) X201\AdministratorPermissions error on Start Menu folder :(I)(OI)(CI)(DE,DC) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMPermissions error on Start Menu folder :(I)(OI)(CI)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsPermissions error on Start Menu folder :(I)(OI)(CI)(F) BUILTIN\UsersPermissions error on Start Menu folder :(I)(OI)(CI)(RX) EveryonePermissions error on Start Menu folder :(I)(OI)(CI)(RX) Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]

6. TrustedInstaller.exe is a process of Windows Modules Installer service in Windows 10/8/7/Vista. Its main function is to enable installation, removal and modification of Windows Updates and optional system components.

Windows Installer (previously known as Microsoft Installer, codename Darwin) is a software component and application programming interface (API) of Microsoft Windows used for the installation, maintenance, and removal of software.

FreeBooter, Jan 29, 2018
  7. Spiral1 Win User
    Still get the problem on a new user account. I have UAC disabled and running as Admin doesn't help either.

https://i.imgur.com/aatVwE7.png

Spiral1, Jan 29, 2018
  8. Permissions error on Start Menu folder

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

FreeBooter, Jan 29, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    Please post either text or pictures in the forum. I don't want to look at imgur for every screen print.

Permissions error on Start Menu folder [​IMG]

Anyway it looks like you have been playing with your permissions. You have removed everything except your profile. That was a mistake.

Look above - SYSTEM, Administrator, Administrators, Users and Everyone need some sort of access. If you don't know how permissions work then don't change them.

You could add Administrators group I guess - it might work but I'd just backup your data and reinstall - resetting permissions never works.

Sorry to sound prescriptive but you have broken your install and need to start again.

10. Spiral1 Win User
    This fixed it, thanks.

Spiral1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Permissions error on Start Menu folder

1. Permissions error on Start Menu folder - Similar Threads - Permissions error Start

2. Missing folders in start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing folders in start menu: My start menu does not show 4 of 5 windows folders that appear in my Start11 menu. Windows Accessories, Windows PowerShell, Windows System, and Windows Tools are all missing from the All Apps list in the Windows 11 Start Menu. Only Windows Ease of Access Appears. All 5 of...
  3. Start Menu Folder Suggestion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Folder Suggestion: To start this off, I hate the Windows 11 Start Menu. It seems super cluttered, and I question, why isn't there a method to create folders, like on a mobile device, or even WINDOWS 10! Yes, we can insert folders from file explorer which opens up a new tab. But wouldn't just...
  4. Folder in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder in Start Menu: I accidently created a folder in the start menu by dragging one app over top of another but I hesitated a little to long and it automatically created a folder. How do I remove the folder from Start?...
  5. Create folders in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create folders in the start menu?: I have tried creating a folder in every known location to get an additional folder to show up in the start menu so I can throw some games and what not under it...does anyone have any idea how to do this? I've tried creating a folder named "Games" in the following:...
  6. Folders on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folders on Start Menu: Hi, Last question on customizing Windows 10 *Smile Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folder appear on Start I need to enable ONLY the following ones: File Explorer Settings Documents Downloads Personal Folder As usual via registry! In Windows 7...
  7. Start menu folders are not indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu folders are not indexed: Hi all, In win 7 I was able to put folders and shortcuts on the desktop (or every indexed folder) and when I went to: - START - SEARCH I was able to write a folder or shorcut or even a portion of them and Win 7 gave me immediately the chance to click on them (just...
  8. Folder to Start Menu Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder to Start Menu Question: I am trying to move a folder/directory to Start Menu, but when I drag it onto the start menu, it just shows red circle with line through it... How do I add folders to start menu left side? 9961
  9. Start menu folders within folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu folders within folders: Sorry this is kind of hard to explain. On Windows 7 start menu you could have a folder such as EA Games and then sub folders within. For example a folder for tiger woods golf, a folder for say Fifa and so on. It seems on Windows 10 you can only have one folder level. I have...
  10. Start Menu Folder Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Folder Access: Hi, I'm not sure if this has been posted before, as I did a search and couldn't find anything, but I might be phrasing it oddly. Anyway, does anyone know if there is a way to allow folder access through the start menu in Windows 10? By folder access, I mean like in Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 1909 permission registry start menu

2. proper start menu folder permissions