Windows 10: Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

Discus and support Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I have a folder that I don't have permission to delete. I am using Windows 10. It seems to be owned by Laptop/path (the laptop's local... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ScottishSmile, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

Hi,

I have a folder that I don't have permission to delete.
    I am using Windows 10.
    It seems to be owned by Laptop/path (the laptop's local account)

Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder [​IMG]

A while ago, Windows10 prompted me to change my username and sign in using a windows account.

Since then I can't delete stuff in certain folders. This is my Steam Games folder.

I have tried to change permissions to no avail:

I also stopped using the hotmail account to sign in and have signed in as LAPTOP/panther

I still don't have permission to delete the folder.

Unless I'm not actually the LAPTOP/path user then I don't know what else to try.

Please help *Smile

Thanks

:)

ScottishSmile, Jun 8, 2017
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Deleting "Windows.old" Files (To Free Storage)

Did you try, as I suggested, to delete the Windows folder which is INSIDE the Windows.old folder. Most of the permissions for the child folders and files are inherited from this folder.

I really don't want anyone misunderstanding and trying to delete the wrong Windows folder...

If it still won't delete maybe you could take ownership and allow yourself that permission, but again, I don't want to discuss permissions since I do not really understand that system well enough.

Saltgrass, Jun 8, 2017
  3. Autumn20 Win User
    [Solved] Unable to delete folders and files on external USB hard drive

I'm not able to delete folders and files on external USB hard drive using Windows 10.

When I click an empty folder, it says "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

and on some empty folders: "An unexpected error is keeping you from deleting the folder. . . . Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty"

In Properties, Security tab, Permissions for Everyone and System says "Allow"

Under Advanced, the Permissions entries says Allow and "Full control" for all principal entries.

How can I delete folders and files?

Autumn20, Jun 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

The easy way to do this is not have Windows running.

1. If you are confident with the command prompt:
    Shift + left click restart, navigate through Troubleshooting to a command prompt.
    Use appropriate commands to locate the folder and delete it.

Or:
    2. Boot from Kyhi's boot disk (top of the Software and Apps section) and then navigate to the folder and delete it.

Or
    3. Use a program: get e.g. Emco MoveonBoot

Install, run, select folder for deletion, restart (so Windows isn't running when it's deleted)

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  5. I never thought of using the command line, kudos.
    However it doesn't work:

I have tried using file removal tool like geek.exe but to no avail.

The issue is getting permissions to that folder, or even understanding what has happened lol

ScottishSmile, Jun 9, 2017
  6. TrustMe Win User
    I use a live Linux USB, Ubuntu or Linux Mint are very popular.

TrustMe, Jun 9, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    You have to restart and boot to a command line.

Or boot from a Win 10 disk click 'Repair Your Computer', Troubleshooting... Command Prompt.

Make sure Windows isn't running.

That's what all the 3 methods I gave you do.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

1. Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder - Similar Threads - Permissions Issue allowed

2. Folder permission Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder permission Issue: Hi Team, Over the past few days, we have noticed an issue after updating our device. Whenever we attempt to change the Read-only access for a folder, it automatically reverts back to being a read-only selected folder. This is not functioning properly in our environment. We...
  3. Folder permission Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder permission Issue: Hi Team, Over the past few days, we have noticed an issue after updating our device. Whenever we attempt to change the Read-only access for a folder, it automatically reverts back to being a read-only selected folder. This is not functioning properly in our environment. We...
  4. Folder permission Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Delete File - Permission Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete File - Permission Issue: Hi, I've read various forums, but I can't seem to delete file due to ownership permissions. I've right-clicked on the .exe, selected Properties, went to the Security tab, and clicked Advanced. However, the Permissions tab and Audit and Effective Access states that I don't...
  6. Administrator permission to delete a folder

Administrator permission to delete a folder: Avira autorun blocker needs administrator permission to delete it, How to get this permission ? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-permission-to-delete-a-folder/8d4ff131-fddb-408d-8e98-81fe7b6c3e1f"
  7. Permission to delete file and folder

Permission to delete file and folder: [IMG]i want to delete an app from my laptop but it requires permission from system and administrator but I can't do it. Please tell me how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-delete-file-and-folder/3d51b993-bd01-4440-8d32-ac348254491d"
  8. Not allowed to Delete folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Not allowed to Delete folders: Hello, Since "Microsoft Solitaire collection" keeps crashing, I uninstalled it. (There are lot of the kind on-line). But then I wanted also to delete the respective folders from the system and was refused. How to delete them from the windows apps folder. Answers will be...
  9. Folder permission issue?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Folder permission issue?: I am having a problem with Adobe Photoshop CC and a plugin (Portrait Pro 15). When I try to launch the plugin from photoshop, I get the following error: Could not complete the Portrait Pro command because failed to run application C:/Program Files/PortraitPro Studio...
  10. Get permission to delete folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Get permission to delete folders: Way too often, i come across a massage that says you need permission to perform this action if i try to delete a useless folder or a file on my computer. Any way to fix this? 124500