Windows 10: Permissions issue

Discus and support Permissions issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have performed a clean install of Win10 on my C drive and it is running fine. My problem is when I go to install a program from a separate data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xwray, Sep 21, 2016.

1. xwray Win User

Permissions issue

I have performed a clean install of Win10 on my C drive and it is running fine.

My problem is when I go to install a program from a separate data store disk drive (stored on the drive over the past 5 years when I was running win7) or otherwise open a file from Win10 I frequently get a permission denied/ don't have access error message. I have tried taking ownership but that is not working reliably.

I am not using any kind of drive/file encryption.

Can anyone tell me the best way to resolve this issue as I have a lot of software I want to install on Win10....any help would be much appreciated.

:)

xwray, Sep 21, 2016

2. Permissions issue: how to give permissions?

I am seeing the same thing in my event logs, on both a system that was upgraded to windows 10, and on a system that has a fresh install of windows 10.

It happens at start up of windows 10 from what I can tell, and it happens if you setup to use Cortana for searching.

cespencerjr, Sep 21, 2016
  3. Permissions issue: how to give permissions?

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

To resolve this issue we need more information. Let us know the following.

1. When exactly are you getting that error?

2. Does the computer connect to a Domain?

Let us know the result.

Thank you.

Mohan Suryanarayan, Sep 21, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Permissions issue

Welcome to the forum. If it is NTFS and been used by another o/s the rights will be for the user of that o/s taking ownership should work you need to do it to folders not just files have you used our tool to do it Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Help Forums

Samuria, Sep 21, 2016
  5. xwray Win User
    Ahhh Yes...I forgot I had to use a different user name for my win10 system and that is most likely causing the problem. Could I just add my win7 user name as another user of my win10 system and therefore access the files as I need them without worrying about anything else?

thanks

xwray, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    No each account has a sid and even the same name will have a different sid thats what windows sees the sid not the name

Samuria, Sep 21, 2016
  7. altae Win User
    I would not do that. I would add permissions for your current Win 10 user to the corresponding drive and all of it's subfolders and files. Just changing ownership is not enough, you also need to assign read and probably write permissions. Right click on the corresponding drive (or folder if you don't want to change permissions for the entire drive), select "properties" and there go to the "security" tab. Click on the "Advanced" button and add permissions for your current user. If it's your drive and PC you probably want to grant yourself full control.

altae, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Permissions issue

1. Permissions issue - Similar Threads - Permissions issue

2. Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...: I had an old installation of windows on this computer. I recently reinstalled windows. The folders on the old drive have some permissions issue. I have my new windows setup and working find on C:/. I can install Xbox games to C:/ just fine.However, the D:/ drive is...
  3. Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox app broken on Windows 11, folder permission issue with no way for user to resolve,...: I had an old installation of windows on this computer. I recently reinstalled windows. The folders on the old drive have some permissions issue. I have my new windows setup and working find on C:/. I can install Xbox games to C:/ just fine.However, the D:/ drive is...
  4. is there an issue with user access control for windows 10? I cannot get permission to load...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there an issue with user access control for windows 10? I cannot get permission to load...: Is there an issue with UAC on windows 10? I am trying to load a new app, but the permission box only shows a NO , where it should have YES or NO. I tried to run the app as administrator, but that did not work....
  5. is there an issue with user access control for windows 10? I cannot get permission to load...

is there an issue with user access control for windows 10? I cannot get permission to load...: Is there an issue with UAC on windows 10? I am trying to load a new app, but the permission box only shows a NO , where it should have YES or NO. I tried to run the app as administrator, but that did not work....
  6. is there an issue with user access control for windows 10? I cannot get permission to load...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Newly Occurring Permission Issues Windows 10 and 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newly Occurring Permission Issues Windows 10 and 11: Recently, we have found several of our devices to have issues with running executables from network shares. The devices are part of a domain with network permissions applied with Active Directory Security Groups. I an admin on both the problem devices and the file share...
  8. Newly Occurring Permission Issues Windows 10 and 11

Newly Occurring Permission Issues Windows 10 and 11: Recently, we have found several of our devices to have issues with running executables from network shares. The devices are part of a domain with network permissions applied with Active Directory Security Groups. I an admin on both the problem devices and the file share...
  9. Windows 11 pc has permission issues after transferring data to new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pc has permission issues after transferring data to new pc: I took the ssd out my old pc, used a ssd to usb transferring cable to transfer data to my new computer. Put the ssd back in my old computer and now the old pc running windows 11 is running slow and having permission access issues. I can barely access anything. Cant change...
  10. Windows 11 pc has permission issues after transferring data to new pc

Windows 11 pc has permission issues after transferring data to new pc: I took the ssd out my old pc, used a ssd to usb transferring cable to transfer data to my new computer. Put the ssd back in my old computer and now the old pc running windows 11 is running slow and having permission access issues. I can barely access anything. Cant change...