Windows 10: Perplexing mismatch between properties of folder and its backup

Discus and support Perplexing mismatch between properties of folder and its backup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 version 1803 on my ASUS X750JA laptop. Recently, I've noticed that after backing up files, the Windows Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robst247, Jul 31, 2018.

1. robst247 Win User

Perplexing mismatch between properties of folder and its backup

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 version 1803 on my ASUS X750JA laptop. Recently, I've noticed that after backing up files, the Windows Explorer 'Properties' for original and backup folders are quite different.

Today, for example, I copied the folder containing all my documents (i.e. not audio, photo or video files) from the D partition of my SSD to a USB stick, both NTFS formatted.

'Properties' for the original folder (on SSD):

Size: 9.52 GB (10,229,272,784 bytes)
    Size on disk: 9.56 GB (10,272,018,432 bytes)
    Contains: 19,916 Files, 1,977 Folders

Properties for the backup folder (simply created by copying and pasting the original folder to the USB stick):

Size: 9.52 GB (10,229,114,630 bytes)
    Size on disk: 9.53 GB (10,236,719,104 bytes)
    Contains: 19,897 Files, 1,977 Folders

How can there be such a large discrepancy (19 files and 35,299,328 bytes)?

Surely there should be no difference. That's the way it used to be. Please explain

:)

robst247, Jul 31, 2018

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 31, 2018
  3. My User Folders are mismatched in Library

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the library folders are mismatched in Windows. We will help you.

Lets try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you do a system maintenance troubleshooter
    and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and Go to control panel.
    • Select system and maintenance.
    • There select troubleshooting.
    • In troubleshooting, go to system and security and select
      run maintenance task.
    • Select system maintenance and follow the
      on screen instructions.
    Step 2: I also suggest you to
    try creating a new user account and check if issue persists.

Click on the below link to check how to create new user account linking a Microsoft account in Windows 10

Microsoft Support link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

Note: Install all the pending updates after logging in to Microsoft account and check.

Keep us informed for any further queries. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Perplexing mismatch between properties of folder and its backup

Security tab in folder properties just disappeared

Hi Nikola,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

• Is the issue specific to any particular file or folder?

I suggest you to restore the Folder properties to default and check if it helps.

Steps:-

• Windows Key + E and click View.
    • Select Option and choose "Change folder and search options"
    • Go to View tab and Restore defaults.

If you still face the issue, try running a System File Checker (SFC) Scan on the system and check if it helps.

System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption the
    sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below in order to run SFC scan on your computer.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

Perplexing mismatch between properties of folder and its backup

1. Perplexing mismatch between properties of folder and its backup - Similar Threads - Perplexing mismatch between

2. architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application: I am running Office 2010 on a new Windows 11 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. I have a classic asp application which connects to Access databases. I've used the 32-bit ODBC data source manager the one in SysWOW64 to create DSNs but get the error 'The specified...
  3. architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application: I am running Office 2010 on a new Windows 11 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. I have a classic asp application which connects to Access databases. I've used the 32-bit ODBC data source manager the one in SysWOW64 to create DSNs but get the error 'The specified...
  4. Is there a file properties backup tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a file properties backup tool?: I am trying to fully backup, including the file properties, like my computers running Windows 10 and both HP, with copying to USB, like last modified and creating time may change to as made on USB. Is there a way to like click a file or folder and have its properties and/or...
  5. Folder Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Properties: I'm unable to change the properties on any of my folders within Windows 10. As an example I have hundreds of music folders so I'd like to optimise them for Music, but can't change them from the 'General' default. This must have been triggered by an update at some point as I...
  6. Windows 10 folder icon mismatch between laptop & desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 folder icon mismatch between laptop & desktop: Hey, so I have a laptop and a desktop with windows 10 on it but the folder icons are different on each of them, I would like them to look the same, would anyone know why they are different and how to change them? [img] Desktop is build is 18362.900 Laptop build is...
  7. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  8. Peculiar and perplexing

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Peculiar and perplexing: On initial start,Device manager shows the display adapter has been stopped,error code 43.When restart selected,the operation is normal and the display adapter,nvidea GeForce gt610,works without a problem, This situation happens every time,without fail. Fast startup and the...
  9. Perplexed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Perplexed: Been awhile since I had to ask for advice but having some trouble here and this IS the best place for advice so....... While reading another thread, I thought well I'll just have a look at my Task manager. I did and was very surprised to see my CPU was going full blast,...
  10. Folder Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties: Hello, On my pc I have many music files, located in different folders. When I open a new folder and populate it with audio files, immediately in the upper bar are descriptions as on attached screenshot. Even when I change the folder's properties from "music" to "General",...