Windows 10: Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean...

Discus and support Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have a back up of all my personal files and folders in an external drive (backed up using simple copy-paste, no back up software used). I was... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DebasishRay, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean...

Hi,

I have a back up of all my personal files and folders in an external drive (backed up using simple copy-paste, no back up software used). I was using Windows 7 then, and I didn't realize that Windows 7 was encrypting some of my files without my knowledge, especially the .JPG files that I have edited on the computer.

Recently I wiped clean my internal drive and did a clean installation of Windows 10, now some of my personal files backed up in my external drive are not opening, as they are encrypted. These files are not also copying to my internal drive.

On further investigation I found that those files (with a lock sign) are encrypted using my old Windows 7 local Admin user ID, which is now gone after I did a clean installation of Windows 10. I have tried to remove/delete the encryption, but failed.

Please let me know how do I decrypt these files now, so that I can access them.

:)

DebasishRay, Sep 4, 2018

2. Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean installed Windows 10?

Hi,

I have a back up of all my personal files and folders in an external drive (backed up using simple copy-paste, no back up software used). I was using Windows 7 then, and I didn't realize that Windows 7 was encrypting some of my files without my knowledge,
    especially the .JPG files that I have edited on the computer.

Recently I wiped clean my internal drive and did a clean installation of Windows 10, now some of my personal files backed up in my external drive are not opening, as they are encrypted. These files are not also copying to my internal drive.

On further investigation I found that those files (with a lock sign) are encrypted using my old Windows 7 local Admin user ID, which is now gone after I did a clean installation of Windows 10. I have tried to remove/delete the encryption, but failed.

Please let me know how do I decrypt these files now, so that I can access them.

DebasishRay, Sep 7, 2018
  3. AngelMesa Win User
    Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean installed Windows 10?

Hi Debasish,

When encrypting files and folders, Windows will use a self-generated certificate that contains keys used to encrypt and decrypt the data. When opening encrypted data when logged into the user account that generated the certificate, the decryption process is
    transparent and the files are opened normally.

However, if another user or system tries to access those same data files or if the files are moved to another location, then they cannot be opened unless the original certificate is installed.

If you do not have a backup of that certificate, you will not be able to decrypt the data. Unfortunately, there is no way around this since the encryption is very strong and cannot be broken easily.

Regards,

Angel.

AngelMesa, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean...

encrypted files

Hi Iman,

Error message 0x80071771 means that you need to restore the file encryption key in order for you to decrypt the encrypted files. On the other hand, you can still try these steps and see if it will work:

• Right-click the file or folder that you want to decrypt.
    • Click File ownership and click Personal.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean...

1. Personal files auto-encrypted by Windows 7, how to decrypt and access those files in clean... - Similar Threads - Personal files auto

2. Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key: Good afternoon!I have a problem, I have a backup folder in an external disk, from a drive in my computer with Windows 11 and bitlocker are activated, I made a restoration of my computer and now I can´t access to these files, I have the keys of bitlocker, but I don´t know...
  3. Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?: Hi,I have some files from my old PC on my secondary HDD that are encrypted by Windows 10. I formatted my primary SSD and my secondary HDD moved to another PC. Now I lost access to those files. Is there any way of regaining access to them or decrypting them?...
  4. Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?

Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?: Hi,I have some files from my old PC on my secondary HDD that are encrypted by Windows 10. I formatted my primary SSD and my secondary HDD moved to another PC. Now I lost access to those files. Is there any way of regaining access to them or decrypting them?...
  5. File Encryption and Decryption Problem

File Encryption and Decryption Problem: So recently, i faced issues with my windows laptop, i decided to do a complete backup of all my files and then reset the laptop. My laptop had encrypted most of the files which i only realised after having reset everything. Now, i cant grant ownershipt of the files nor modify...
  6. Windows auto-encrypting files

Windows auto-encrypting files: Hello! I have an issue regarding encryption. I encrypted a ZIP folder on my desktop and ever since, the system has been auto-encrypting any files I create. I've decrypted the folder several times, I've tried deleting the folder, but the problem persists. I have tried a few...
  7. Regarding encryption and decryption of my files

Regarding encryption and decryption of my files: I have actually encrypted few files in my old windows 10 pc and unknowingly i have deleted its certificatekey but i had my onedrive account in that old pc while encrypting and i can't decrypt the files in my new PC Is there any possible way to decrypt my files please it...
  8. How to decrypt files that were previously encrypted on windows 7. Misplaced the 'certificate'

How to decrypt files that were previously encrypted on windows 7. Misplaced the 'certificate': Hi, My name is Gregory. I encrypted my files using the advanced attributes - encrypt content to secure data, while I was using windows 7. I later formatted my PC and installed windows 10 before decrypting my files. I don't have the 'certificate' to decrypt the files? what can...
  9. Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file: hello, I have a problem with some files on my PC, the files are encrypted with a windows certificate, few days ago I was able to open the file and access them, now I can not access those files. although I have the permission and the certificate is installed [ATTACH]...
  10. How Decrypt, Encrypt file?

How Decrypt, Encrypt file?: I saved my Photos in D:Drive. And Encrypt same personal photos by this way{Choose a photo->Right click on it->then properties->Advances option in General->Then choose "Encrypt file to secure data"}. But now I can't open my encrypted photos. And can't Decrypt it. So Please...