Windows 10: Personalize queries

Discus and support Personalize queries in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am new to Windows 10 so this is probably a rather basic question. When I use Personalize (right click on desktop) to set the Lock screen to off it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dalgo, Feb 29, 2016.

1. dalgo Win User

Personalize queries

I am new to Windows 10 so this is probably a rather basic question.

When I use Personalize (right click on desktop) to set the Lock screen to off it only works at power off/on. When I resume from sleep the lock screen picture appears. How can I turn that off also?

The reason I don't need lock screen pics is that I have a very good slideshow for my desktop - but I have a problem with that too. I prefer my slide show to change once a day but that setting is ignored and the desktop pic changes multiple times a day. I suspect this is also connected in some way with sleep because when I use the one minute setting and leave my PC on it does in fact change once a minute. However I haven't taken the trouble to leave my PC on continuously for a whole day to see if that works. How can I ensure that my desktop slideshow in fact only changes once a day regardless of any sleep periods?

:)

dalgo, Feb 29, 2016
  2. jxsjxs Win User

Query about personal files during upgrade to Windows 10

Thank you for the useful info. The best approach is clearly to assume nothing. In the particular situation I was in, I wondered if some actions were worth the risk (the user did not have a full image backup).

You are right that the ave. user has no idea about appdata, which is surely a problem when all their "personal" e-mails are stored there (with Thunderbird)! The wrong decision regarding "Personal files" could result in losing all e-mails and contacts. That
    is the problem with woolly terms and use/mis-use of hidden folders, which Windows allows.

jxsjxs, Feb 29, 2016
  3. jxsjxs Win User
    Query about personal files during upgrade to Windows 10

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Briefly, I am a s/w developer, have been using Windows for 20+ years and feel free to edit anything I want to or put files where I feel like putting them, as far as Windows permissions allows. If MS wants to start
    talking about "Personal files", it has a duty to define what it means by the term. You say "you must store any personal file you create in the Personal folders:". What is a "personal folder"? What about AppData? The impression is that this folder does not
    come under "Personal files" yet that is where some very user-specific data is saved, including ALL of Thunderbird's files - meaning all my e-mails from the year dot. I did not decide to put those files there. The post I referred to also suggests that "personal"
    can mean a file I created 'on the root of the OS drive', but not highly-personal files in AppData that I did not decide to put there. This is why I am longing to find a clear and technical definition of the term. Why is that so difficult?

Reset/Refresh - what is wrong with the term "reinstall"? What can "renew Windows" possibly mean? "Start over" - does that mean re-boot or re-format? Big difference! Why add to confusion by introducing new and vague names for actions that have been familiar
    for decades? Ok, I can somehow look these things up, but terminology ought to have much clearer and obvious meanings. In a user support situation, I would never get away with referring doggedly to "personal files"; the user on the phone etc would demand to
    know exactly what, in terms of what they see on their screen, I am talking about. That is the problem.

My original question remains and the strictures of OS X, Linux and Unix are irrelevant here.

jxsjxs, Feb 29, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Personalize queries

philc43, Feb 29, 2016
Thema:

Personalize queries

1. Personalize queries - Similar Threads - Personalize queries

2. Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC: All advice I've seen to date is to open the Accounts page, select the account and click Disconnect. There is no option for this. There is a Manage option, however I no longer work for the company, so have no access to manage the account. A solution other than formatting the...
  3. Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC: All advice I've seen to date is to open the Accounts page, select the account and click Disconnect. There is no option for this. There is a Manage option, however I no longer work for the company, so have no access to manage the account. A solution other than formatting the...
  4. how do I stop my personal files being 'claimed' by 'drive'?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I stop my personal files being 'claimed' by 'drive'?: How do I stop my personal files being 'claimed' by 'drive'?When I attempt to upload any files to my 1TB laptop, the files are 'claimed' by 'drive' that tells me it is full and wants me to buy more space'., But I have a 1TB laptop and don't need space.I tried to upload to...
  5. how do I stop my personal files being 'claimed' by 'drive'?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I stop my personal files being 'claimed' by 'drive'?: How do I stop my personal files being 'claimed' by 'drive'?When I attempt to upload any files to my 1TB laptop, the files are 'claimed' by 'drive' that tells me it is full and wants me to buy more space'., But I have a 1TB laptop and don't need space.I tried to upload to...
  6. how do I stop my personal files being 'claimed' by 'drive'?

7. How to sign out of my personal account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to sign out of my personal account.: I want to have only my work account in this PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sign-out-of-my-personal-account/709aae68-0f02-44cc-9d1d-8e78baaa2915
  8. How to sign out of my personal account.

How to sign out of my personal account.: I want to have only my work account in this PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sign-out-of-my-personal-account/709aae68-0f02-44cc-9d1d-8e78baaa2915
  9. My personal book editor put a "freeze" on my manuscript before sending to a publisher. The...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My personal book editor put a "freeze" on my manuscript before sending to a publisher. The...: I'm a free-lance writer and have finished my first book and hired a semi-retired editor to "do her thing". It was a very professional outcome, and then the editor put a "freeze" on the Word doc. to avoid traditional publishers from editing anything in the manuscript. Well,...
  10. My personal book editor put a "freeze" on my manuscript before sending to a publisher. The...

My personal book editor put a "freeze" on my manuscript before sending to a publisher. The...: I'm a free-lance writer and have finished my first book and hired a semi-retired editor to "do her thing". It was a very professional outcome, and then the editor put a "freeze" on the Word doc. to avoid traditional publishers from editing anything in the manuscript. Well,...