Windows 10: Petya Attack.

Discus and support Petya Attack. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; There is a new pain in the neck in the wild. Last month it was the “WannaCry” virus wreaking havoc over the internet, and now this week another... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Hewjr100, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Hewjr100 Win User

Petya Attack.

There is a new pain in the neck in the wild.

This link will show steps to avoid getting hit.

Petya ransomware running rampant: how to turn off SMBv1 in Windows to make sure youre safe | On MSFT

Henry.

:)

Hewjr100, Jun 26, 2017

2. Is it true petya ransomware could attack windows 10?

My friend yesterday got attacked by petya he uses win 7, i see how to avoid petya Cara Menghilangkan Virus Petya Ransomware di Komputer - Shukan Bunshun

the question is, could they attack win 10, as I've heard that most of users under win 8 got attacked by wannacrypt

satrialama, Jun 26, 2017
  3. JMDinOKC Win User
    Petya/Goldeneye ransomware

Running Windows 10 on an HP laptop. This is 6/30/17 and the big scare right now is the Petya/Goldeneye ransomware. I have two questions:

• Will using a VPN decrease vulnerability to this threat? (I use ExpressVPN.)
    • The word is that one major avenue of attack for Petya is through the WMI service. There are various ways of increasing WMI security using the WMI Control. Will doing so decrease vulnerability to the Petya ransomware?
    Thank you.

JMDinOKC, Jun 26, 2017
  4. 1PW
    1PW Win User

Petya Attack.

5. Cliff S New Member
    Vaccine, not Killswitch, Found for Petya (NotPetya) Ransomware Outbreak

Cliff S, Jun 27, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    A sure way against ransomware is to keep regular backups.

swarfega, Jun 27, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member

Petya Attack.

But on an external disk, not one in the PC, or if you use one, your NAS, or actually any network drive, or cloud drive.
    Totally offline & disconnected from the PC.

Cliff S, Jun 27, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User
    I totally agree with you Cliff. I am fortunate enough to own a NAS, but not everyone can either afford one or knows they even exist. At the very least people should back up to an external drive and then unplug it.

swarfega, Jun 27, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    I say backup to 2 externals, and keep one offsite. My sister's house burned to the ground. A buddy was robbed and they took all of his computer gear, including his backups.

pparks1, Jun 27, 2017
  10. dencal Win User
Thema:

Petya Attack.

1. Petya Attack. - Similar Threads - Petya Attack

2. A virus attacked my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A virus attacked my laptop: So my laptop was effected by a virus and now my laptop was ruined and 5 months ago i try to troubleshoot my laptop and my windows defender was stopped and i clicked on a link and a .exe virus was attack my laptop and day by day my laptop was effects but i can only play...
  3. My Microsoft account is under relentless bot attacks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft account is under relentless bot attacks: My Microsoft account is being attacked by hundreds of login attemps every day from random locations, despite me having changed the password often, with passwords that are unlikely to be hacked....
  4. My Microsoft account is under relentless bot attacks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Microsoft account is under relentless bot attacks: My Microsoft account is being attacked by hundreds of login attemps every day from random locations, despite me having changed the password often, with passwords that are unlikely to be hacked....
  5. My Microsoft account is under relentless bot attacks

6. Petya ransomware encryption system cracked

Petya ransomware encryption system cracked: Petya ransomware victims can now unlock infected computers without paying. An unidentified programmer has produced a tool that exploits shortfalls in the way the malware encrypts a file that allows Windows to start up. In notes put on code-sharing site Github, he said...
  7. Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa

Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa: Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa [img] See also here: Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa 50418
  8. The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse

The Petya ransomware just got a whole lot worse: Make back ups before it strikes..... The Petya ransomware now bundles a second file-encrypting program for cases where it cannot replace a computer's master boot record to encrypt its file table. Before encrypting the MFT, Petya replaces the computer's master boot...
  9. Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa

in Windows 10 News
    Warning: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa: Latest Petya Ransomware Strain Comes with a Failsafe: Mischa [img] Warning: The Petya ransomware strain signaled a new escalation for crypto-malware when it surfaced in March. For the first time, ransomware went beyond encrypting files on local and shared drives...
  10. Bad Rabbit ransomware: A new variant of Petya is spreading

in Windows 10 News
    Bad Rabbit ransomware: A new variant of Petya is spreading: Bad Rabbit, a ransomware infection thought to be a new variant of Petya, has apparently hit a number of organisations in Russia and Ukraine. In a tweet, Russian cybersecurity firm Group-IB said that at least three media organisations in the country have been hit by...